Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Man of Honour
They had an Insulate Britain warrior in the GMB studios yesterday and Richard Madeley gave him a right grilling.
He was giving this bloke 'What if' scenarios like somebody having a heart attack behind a wheel or a child going to an important hospital appointment but this bloke didn't care one jot.
If I could have grabbed him through my TV I would have given this warrior a good keyboard bashing.
What a truly despicable person he is.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This isn't terrorism but the police should be allowed to remove them with any force required and they should suffer proper consequences for their actions.

Soldato
A lot more people will die due to the lack of action on man made climate change.
Why aren’t people more bothered by that than being late for work?

fez

fez

Caporegime
A lot more people will die due to the lack of action on man made climate change.

Because being late for work has no relevance to your feelings on climate change. What these people are doing is of no benefit to their cause and will damage it more than helping.

Climate change will be dealt with on a global level or not at all. It won't be stopped by a few people disrupting traffic and annoying thousands of everyday people trying to work.

Caporegime
is the superglue that person used on their hand good for the environment? surely it takes a lot of chemicals and refining to manufacture

these middle class fools probably have a larger carbon footprint than your average person who works for a living.
I'll be glad when furlough ends, I bet all these loonies are on it

Man of Honour
these middle class fools probably have a larger carbon footprint than your average person who works for a living.

and like Richard Madeley pointed out to him, all those vehicles pumping out toxins held up in a queue for hours but the 'warrior' wasn't bothered.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Some of you may remember that a good few years ago lorry drivers blockaded fuel refineries for some sort of protest. Their leaders were visited by MI5 who told them they were at risk of bring the country to a halt (we have enough fuel at a time for three days apparently) and as such they would be held under the terrorism act and spend the next 20 years in jail. The protests stopped overnight. I suggest something similar for these plebs.

Yeah, but the country wont grind to a halt just because of a few tailbacks on London's motorway, so to do so would be an abuse of power.

Soldato
Probably because most people are doing what they can for the environment within the confines of the system they live in. Recycling, car choice, less plastic etc. Pretty sure the UK accounts for less than 1% of carbon emissions now.

Less kids and less people is the thing that really helps of course but that's off limits. It also all pales when we contrast ourselves with China and India.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Road blocks stopping/delaying a fire engine or ambulance attending an emergency would

It might, but in one of the protests an ambulance was coming through and they let it, so that seems a small straw to clutch at.

Soldato
Insulate? And when they realise those homes have been turned into ovens they will be demanding air con.

Less kids and less people is the thing that really helps of course but that's off limits. It also all pales when we contrast ourselves with China and India.

But China.....

Seriously UK emissions per capita are very high, don't forget we just outsourced a lot it to those countries. We can do a lot more..

Soldato
Insulate? And when they realise those homes have been turned into ovens they will be demanding air con.

Insulation doesn't just make your house hotter. It insulates the inside from the outside whatever the outside temperature is. A well insulated house will be cooler in hot outside temperatures than a poorly insulated house.

Soldato
Insulation doesn't just make your house hotter. It insulates the inside from the outside whatever the outside temperature is. A well insulated house will be cooler in hot outside temperatures than a poorly insulated house.

It doesnt work unless you keep the heat out and UK houses simply are not set up to do that.

Man of Honour
Place I'm living in at the moment had cavity wall insulation done recently - the company doing it made a bit thing about how it helps to keep it cooler during the summer as well as keeping the heat in during the winter - reality is in the summer it just heats up inside a little slower during the day then retains that heat longer into the night! so now we have AC in most rooms.

Last edited:
Soldato
is the superglue that person used on their hand good for the environment? surely it takes a lot of chemicals and refining to manufacture

I saw a picture on news this morning of police trying to unstick her hand -What is wrong with just grabbing her wrist and giving it a big tug.
If I lived closer I would go and do it for them.

Soldato
These organisations are using disruptive tactics to gain mainstream media attention for their agendas. I totally support the agenda they are both fighting for, but are they going too far?

Yes, they are going too far. Hopefully the new Police & Crime bill will give the authorities the power to deal with them because as we can plainly see the existing powers are wholly inadequate.

Soldato
They may be annoying but they are attempting to help spread the word of climate change and the urgency required to combat it, I guess they have everyone's best interests at heart.
And they have a point.
Not sure I agree on their methods however.

They don't want to curb woman's rights or gays etc so not sure how you can label them the same as the nutty Sharia law brigade.

Back
Top Bottom