The Matrix 4

Soldato
Personally, I don't have a problem with the sequels. They both have some great sequences.

Sadly a few great sequences alone (Highway chase in M2 and the fight for Zion in M3 for me) couldn't help clear up the muddle that became of the two sequels compared to the straight forward nature of the first film. I watched a YT video before M3 came out about the theological story behind M1-2 and what the YT video creator thought would be in M3 (months before release) and he was 90% correct with everything he said and all down to his knowledge of Old Testament stories which the film seemed to take reference from.

Associate
The damage was done by the 2nd. The Merovingion was the worst character ever. Total crap.

I liked him, his story wasn't flushed out which wasn't ideal, i would have liked some depth in the story there. The real world flushing out is the weakest part of the matrix imo. Whilst it all had plot issues, the blend from matrix to real world travel without being plugged in ruined the story a bit.

Soldato
I liked him, his story wasn't flushed out which wasn't ideal, i would have liked some depth in the story there. The real world flushing out is the weakest part of the matrix imo. Whilst it all had plot issues, the blend from matrix to real world travel without being plugged in ruined the story a bit.

Whilst I didn't dislike the idea that Neo was able to be part of the machine world. The whole premise of the key maker crap (who had such weird dialogue), and the way Morpheus and Trinity suddenly became super bad ass with a sword was just awful, and it was a total shame that contracts etc got in the way of Tank being in it, cause his replacement wasn't on par.
The Merovingion with his French pompous Garbage was the final straw. The costumes became weirdly plastic and looked more like a gimp suit that awesome underground stuff.
Plus a complete lack of musical direction that the first had. If anything I'd say the 2nd was made from two completely different people than the first.

Number 2 is easily worse than number 3.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Yeah was an interesting character but they didn't really use him well or add the depth to do the character justice.

Soldato
One thing about the sequels I never liked was the Matrix itself felt became empty window dressing. In the first one it genuinely seemed like normal life at the turn of the millennium and there were people everywhere living their oblivious lives and getting in the way, then it just became largely empty sets and streets and stopped feeling lived it, like a Street Fighter backdrop even before Smith started taking everyone over.

V F

V F

Soldato
One thing about the sequels I never liked was the Matrix itself felt became empty window dressing. In the first one it genuinely seemed like normal life at the turn of the millennium and there were people everywhere living their oblivious lives and getting in the way, then it just became largely empty sets and streets and stopped feeling lived it, like a Street Fighter backdrop even before Smith started taking everyone over.

Hmm...

The Matrix 1999, film scenes Australia.

(Subway Scenes)

(deja-vu staircase)

(government building)

(studio)

(government building rooftop)

(helicopter crash)

(Trinity phone booth escape)

(subway station)

(building scene)

(Neo's phone call to the machines at the end)

(Cypher/Agent Smith meeting)

(agent training program)

(Major Chase Scenes)

(helicopter crash rescue)

The Matrix Reloaded 2003 was mainly filmed in the USA. Some parts in Australia but the first was mainly all in Australia.

(power station explosion) and (studio) was in Australia. Car chase scenes USA.

The Matrix Revolutions 2003 seems a little more interesting in locations.

(Trainman chase) (studio) (Oracle/Architect meeting) (crater fight location) All in Australia. But both sequels were mainly in the USA.

Soldato
Watched the original matrix over the weekend and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time round. Then, last night started watching the second one. 30mins in and switched it off.
That ones worse than I remembered.

Associate
The Matrix movies were all great back then because of how new and experimental they were..

However, almost two decades on the novelty has definitely worn off.

They will always be special, even if just a tiny little bit..

Soldato
The Matrix movies were all great back then because of how new and experimental they were..

However, almost two decades on the novelty has definitely worn off.

They will always be special, even if just a tiny little bit..

pffft - 2 and 3 were considered crap at the time, and still are.

Associate
pffft - 2 and 3 were considered crap at the time, and still are.

Both have an average score of 7/10 each, which I doubt were exclusively built up over the last decade.

Seeing as those scores were tallied across 500k votes each I'd say they were pretty well received at the time!

Soldato
Seeing as those scores were tallied across 500k votes each I'd say they were pretty well received at the time!

They weren't. Are you not old enough to remember?

P.S A lot of IMDB scores seemed to jump during COVID. Not saying these did but things that I remember seeing as rated as 6 and 6.5 jumped up into the 7 range and so on.

Back
Top Bottom