What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Green Night. 8/10

Yeah bring your LSD for this one...
Either have a short understanding of the story before hand or be prepared to learn after.
If you have zero interest in "King Arthur" type stuff and all the myth and fantasy that comes with it, I honestly wouldn't go near this. Its probably too weird.

I went in blind and I really liked it, I did read up about the original poem/story after though :D

I'll just re-quote what I posted a few weeks back.

The Green Knight - I don't know what I expected of this tbh but I really enjoyed it, great tale of a man obsessed with honour who could never then follow through with honorable acts. Borderline fantasy with some of the imagery but it drew me in and was engaged right up to the final credits. - 7.5/10

Soldato
Kate 5.8/10

It got near a 6 because of the setting and aspects of the cinematography but most other aspects left me feeling a little underwhelmed. Woody Harrelson is just OK but has a basic, acting by numbers part and Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who was only slightly better in Birds of Prey) just doesn't quite satisfy the part for me. The best parts seemed to involve the relative newcomer in Miku Patricia Martineau. Some decent fight scenes though...

Permabanned
tbh honest when they race swap characters it ruins it for me.
Imagine if Morpheus was white in the upcoming movie?
A remake of Gandhi ( Trigger, he made one great movie and you never saw him again )but Robert Carlyle was playing the part?

Soldato
tbh honest when they race swap characters it ruins it for me.
Imagine if Morpheus was white in the upcoming movie?
A remake of Gandhi ( Trigger, he made one great movie and you never saw him again )but Robert Carlyle was playing the part?

Morpheus being black isn't integral to his story or what we see him do in the movies, he's also entirely fictional. Ghandi was Indian and a real person, the two comparisons don't quite work but I know what you were going for.

FWIW, wouldn't care if Morpheus became a white guy, a white girl, a trans eskimo...it's The Matrix, be what you want to be :D

Associate
FWIW, wouldn't care if Morpheus became a white guy, a white girl, a trans eskimo...it's The Matrix, be what you want to be :D
I agree with @Reality|Bites here, for the sake of continuaty..

It's jarring when a big charractor gets replaced in what may or may not be an attempt to show gravitation towards equality.

If its an adaptation then I'm not fussed..

Soldato
I agree with @Reality|Bites here, for the sake of continuaty..

It's jarring when a big charractor gets replaced in what may or may not be an attempt to show gravitation towards equality.

If its an adaptation then I'm not fussed..

Yeah, I was being flippant, more because he's a Matrix character and should be able to customise his Avatar, ergo my grinning smiley at the end.

I have no issue with race/gender swaps in movies from the source material (be that a book, comic, tv shows, reboot)...if the actor/actress is good enough.

A lot of folk are triggered an asian is in The Green Knight, it's barely an afterthought for me as Dev Patel is such a good actor, it doesn't detract from the movie in any way. No one was crying that half the actors in Chernobyl has regional british dialects as the performances were so good.

Associate
Yeah, I was being flippant, more because he's a Matrix character and should be able to customise his Avatar, ergo my grinning smiley at the end.

I have no issue with race/gender swaps in movies from the source material (be that a book, comic, tv shows, reboot)...if the actor/actress is good enough.

A lot of folk are triggered an asian is in The Green Knight, it's barely an afterthought for me as Dev Patel is such a good actor, it doesn't detract from the movie in any way. No one was crying that half the actors in Chernobyl has regional british dialects as the performances were so good.

Aha, I get your context now.. :p

We are in definitely in agreement!

Soldato
No one was crying that half the actors in Chernobyl has regional british dialects as the performances were so good.

That was an interesting directorial choice and the right one. If everyone had tried to do faux Russian accents it would have distracted and it's not like they would be speaking English with the correct regional Russian accents. But having regional British accents restores that idea that they are from other parts of the Soviet Union and without caricatured Boris and Karla accents.

Soldato
That was an interesting directorial choice and the right one. If everyone had tried to do faux Russian accents it would have distracted and it's not like they would be speaking English with the correct regional Russian accents. But having regional British accents restores that idea that they are from other parts of the Soviet Union and without caricatured Boris and Karla accents.

You know what, I never considering it like that before, I just took the actors on face value as they were all excellent across the board, I never considered it as a deliberate choice to speak in their native dialects.

Associate
Fear Street Part 1: 1994 (2021) - 7/10

Entertaining American teen horror focusing more on style and setting than suspense or horror, although it does have a bit of both as well as some drama. Good story, characters and setting with a variety of iconic killers to menace the cast, although it does get a bit silly towards the end.

Fear Street Part 2: 1978 (2021) - 6/10

Great production values and acting, but as you know what’s going to happen, it loses almost all of its suspense. The killer isn’t very menacing and the film is a bit slow at times, although still worth watching as it tells its own story and adds to the overarching plot. The characters were a mixed bunch – the leads were quite good, but most were cliché stereotypes.

Fear Street Part 3: 1666 (2021) - 4/10

Persecution by another name and in another time, but nothing truly stood out for me in this film. The cast are great, but I felt the historical setting wasn’t that interesting; having a lot more drama or spectacle would have made it better. The conclusion of the overarching plot was ok, although the mall scene was just ridiculous, but the ending didn’t feel right and the lack of a truly menacing strong singular villain makes for weak horror.

Associate
The Guilty - 7/10

Really liked this, the suspense and edge of seat thriller kept me intrigued throughout. Didn't see the twist coming. Not seen the first so might have to give that a try.
Jake's acting was spot on as usual.

Worth a watch.

Soldato
Boss Level 5/10 I thought the whole film was kind of stupid. However, it is worth watching as your enjoyment of this movie will be entirely based on what mood you are in. It has Deadpool vibe to it and tries to do the whole time loop thing a little different. It just wasn't for me. Selina Lo steals the show imo, as the actor who plays Guan Yin.

"I am Guan Yin, and Guan Yin has done this"

Soldato
Coherence

Actually really enjoyed this. It's clearly a very low budget Sci-fi story but it's pulled off really well. Groups of friends meet for dinner as a comet flies over head, which in turn causes some mind bending shenanigans.

Acting was ok, apparently some of which was improvised

Goes to show a film can have an impact no matter the budget.

Available on Prime

Back
Top Bottom