What do I replace my Huawei Mate 20x with?

Associate
It's coming time to consider replacing my phone as its been a few years. I still love it but unusually I can't see and desirable replacements. I was hoping someone could suggest something?

Things I love are 40mp camera, 7.2 screen and magnetic case for mounting in the car for use as sat nav.

Use is mainly for web browsing and apps, good photo quality is a must, very little actual call use so weight isn't an issue. A big screen is a must, I don't really want to go smaller again.

I did briefly consider a z fold of some type but on paper the cameras don't look very good compared to mine at all. I also looked at the s20/21 but for some reason I just don't like it, combination of its overly long design , price and general aesthetics.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement to consider that has play store access?

I'm in the same position as you with exactly the same phone! I love my Mate 20x, great camera still even by today's standards.

I really don't want a smaller phone, I also considered z-fold but decided against as I don't feel the technology is matured enough in that area yet, also I don't really fancy a thick phone in my pocket.

Right now I feel the s21 ultra is only the real choice on the market for Mate 20x owners looking to upgrade but personally I'm not really a Samsung fan, although I've got the upgrade itch I can see myself sticking with my mate 20x for the rest of this year, such a damn shame Huawei got banned.

Soldato
There was a rumour that Sony may be working on a successor to Xperia Z Ultra, but that was back in April and haven't heard anything since.

Then again Sony aren't known for cohesive and well managed launches so might just drop for sale out the blue :D

Associate
I am in the same boat and love my Mate 20X dont really like the look of anything else so will just keep it for another year. It still feels as good as most other phones and the performance hasnt really dipped in the last 2,5 years so its bearing up well.

The battery life doesn't quite last the two days it did for me before but i spoke to the Service Centre in Wembley and they can replace it whilst you wait so i may do that towards the end of the year, i also had the upgrade itch but got a new case to spruce it up instead...

Soldato
always had a soft spot for the 20x, had a few in the past (when I was changing phones far too often)

my advise is, stick with it for now. not much out there that can compete with it (price etc)

hux

hux

Soldato
Asus Rog 5 perhaps, I came from a mate 20 pro to the rog 3, and love it.

Camera isn't the best, but it's sufficient.

Soldato
After sadly sending back a Mi 10 pro ( seller listed it as a European model when it was infact the Chinese version) and also frustratingly a faulty Note10+, I was left without a phone, or at least one able to keep up with today's demands.

So I went looking for a bargain until the big boys had played all their 2021 cards and ended up grabbing a cheap 20x (4G model seemed the best). It looked a bit unloved in the pictures but the owner had it in a case from day one and on arrival I was pleasantly surprised to find it's in as new condition.

I never even gave the 20x a look back in the day, or it's smaller sibling the Mate 20 pro. I did have the P20 Pro which I thought was a brilliant device but this was just too massive for me to even consider and it seemed like a poor challenger to the Note.

However I'm loving it so far, it's a beast alright but the battery life, the camera and the stereo speakers are damn impressive. It's still nice and responsive too and of course due to it's age officially has supports Gapps.

A cracking phone.

Soldato
Worth waiting for the Pixel 6 release?

Yeah I would say so, unless you're desperate for a phone, can't be more than a few weeks away now. Of course size wise they'll be at different ends of the spectrum, one I'll be a hatchback and the other a bus so it's depends what you're comfortable with.

I picked up this 20x for just under £250 which seems to be the going rate, maybe more for the 5G model, which looses the stereo speakers and if you're not concerned about 5G seems the lesser of the two.

I'd imagine the entry level Pixel will be about £599-699, for that though it'll have one of the best camera and software experiences ( albeit bland to some) going.

Back
Top Bottom