What book are you reading...

Soldato
I just finished The Proud Robot, by Henry Kuttner. 50s comedy Scifi short stories and came highly recommended. It was ok, but not great.

I am now reading Louis Theroux's autobiography, following my first trip to the library in 18 months.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally finished Wheel of Time book 9, Winter's Heart. Went straight on to Crossroads of Twilight last night and managed to get that ridiculous prologue out of the way.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just started reading the Game Of Thrones series by George RR Martin. About 150 pages into Book 1 so far and it’s great. Even dragging me away from Snowrunner in the evening. I would describe it as Tolkien with boobs, but actually thus far the writing is far more restrained and less decadent than HBO made the TV series. Unlike Tolkien, George seems to largely resist the urge to start writing in more archaic or formal tone. I also appreciate how each chapter is written from the viewpoint of a particular protagonist. Popping into Waterstones this afternoon to pick up the second book, ready.

I've just finished the most recent ASOIAF book this morning (come the **** on George!) and honestly the show is reasonably faithful to the books and the tone of the books. I do wish I had read the books before watching the show to see how different my impressions of characters would be. That being said, I would have waited nearly a decade for the next book rather than hopefully only a year or two (but thats a topic for another day). The biggest difference between the books and the show is simply the age of most of the characters. So many teenagers are main characters in the book whereas many of them were replaced with actors in their mid-twenties.

Soldato
Finished 'The God is Not Willing' last night, decent book, much smaller in scope than the main series and a far easier read than I've come to expect from SE.

Solid addition to the universe, some good high points, banter between the troops is always amusing. Very interesting to see how events that unfolded in the main series have impacted the empire and become embedded into the mythology already.

A good 7/10 for me, would recommend for any Malazan fans.

Associate
Not really sure after finishing Later by stepehen king.
i fancy some sci-fi so maybe Children of time. or i might try something from Joe Abercrombie since i'm hearing great things from him.

Soldato
I'm reading The Divine Invasion by Philip K Dick at the moment, and probably not understanding most of it!

I read The Girl With All The Gifts previously, and that was a very good read.

I'm taking a break from the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist, having just finished the Serpentwar books. After this book, I'll probably return to them.

Associate
I'm reading The Divine Invasion by Philip K Dick at the moment, and probably not understanding most of it!

I read The Girl With All The Gifts previously, and that was a very good read.

I'm taking a break from the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist, having just finished the Serpentwar books. After this book, I'll probably return to them.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Dick ;) :D

Commissario
I've been slowly reading my way through the Harry Bosch books having enjoyed the series, I'm really enjoying them and it's interesting reading them and comparing them to the series (which kept many of the main elements but condensed the timeline and moved the order around).

Associate
Dany is only 13 in the book, so a bit squirmy reading the xes scenes between her and Drogo.

i think GRR went a bit far with that and the TV show sensibly "editted" around that... Also I'm not sure how great a fighter a 16y.o. Jon Snow would be in reality. Not many 16 yos I know would be able to wield a dual handed sword properly

(randomly I was on a commute a few years back next to Kit Harrington's trainer and "accidentally" saw his training plan. Man worked hard to get fit for that role!

Associate
Finished Dead Mans Sins by Caimh McDonnell - the latest Bunny McGarry novel - which was brilliant. Now trying to work my way through A Hero Born by Jin Yong - but finding it really hard going. I don't know if it's the story itself or the efforts of the translator, but it's nowhere near as interesting as the reviews on Amazon would suggest. Has anyone else read this series and is it worth persevering with?

Soldato
i think GRR went a bit far with that and the TV show sensibly "editted" around that... Also I'm not sure how great a fighter a 16y.o. Jon Snow would be in reality. Not many 16 yos I know would be able to wield a dual handed sword properly

(randomly I was on a commute a few years back next to Kit Harrington's trainer and "accidentally" saw his training plan. Man worked hard to get fit for that role!
Not often covered in fiction but it's a safe bet that nobles would have had a far better diet than your average person and even average soldier. So in the same way that we are larger than people 100 years ago. Nobles in a medieval economy would be bigger and stronger because of better diets. An early developer 16year old noble might be as big or bigger than a peasant. Also nobleman soldiers would spend far more time practicing (practising?) and build muscle than your average part time soldier.

Soldato
Been on a political autobiography binge recently and ready 'Decision Points' by GW Bush. Pretty good. Very innocent in a way him moaning about 'political bloggers', given that it was 10 years ago now. I suppose we call them 'journalists' nowadays.

Wonder what he would make of the world nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom