Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
Yep, more junk we didn't ask for that gets 'automatically turned on' and in my case ignores my settings that specifically states I did not want it.....studies turned off here too.
Had to go on to reddit to find the about:config rule to get rid of it...

From what I can find online seems to be money driven decision....um maybe if they listened to their users they wouldn't be needing to find new and unwelcome ways to monetise existing users because there would be more of them using the old things....

Associate
Indeed.

I just want a modern, private, simple, secure browser with a bit of UI customisation and the ability to add/remove extensions for any additional functionality that I need. I don't want surveys, sidebars, pockets, sync, suggestions or anything else but it seems that I can't get that anymore.

Man of Honour
I shut my computer down last night, turned it on this morning and now my Firefox fonts on this forum only have messed up. I've had this issue years ago but the 'fix' from back then hasn't worked now. Other XenForo forums look fine...

This is how they look:

J9JSiNq.png

Any suggestions? I hate it.

Edit ::

Sorted. If anyone else has a similar issue, go to about:config, and then find: gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families - delete all the fonts listed, and restart Firefox.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorted. If anyone else has a similar issue, go to about:config, and then find: gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families - delete all the fonts listed, and restart Firefox.
How does it look now? Sharp like below?

fP7VKbB.jpg[

V F

V F

Soldato
Hmm... I'm curious to see...

ocukff-texttest.png

They all look like pure crap on iOS but fine on Windows.

@Longbow Yours reminds me of Windows XP.

Last edited:
Soldato
So they've finally 'announced' firefox suggests, the sponsored ad's in the address bar we never asked for.... https://blog.mozilla.org/en/products/firefox/firefox-news/firefox-suggest/

LOL... supposedly 'opt in' and america only at first.... funny I'm in the UK and had to use about:config to disable it and I'm sure it will be changed to opt-out pretty quickly.... oh how I love the way firefox is focusing on the junk we don't need :rolleyes:

edit: and the irony in the first paragraph of their announcement...
Today, people have to work too hard to find what they want online, sifting through and steering clear of content, clutter and click-bait not worthy of their time. Over time, navigation on the internet has become increasingly centralized and optimized for clicks and scrolling, not for getting people to where they want to go or what they are looking for quickly.
they've just done the exact thing they're complaining about when they've stuck adverts in the address bar when I'm trying to either go direct to a site or open an old site...

V F

V F

Soldato
So they've finally 'announced' firefox suggests, the sponsored ad's in the address bar we never asked for.... https://blog.mozilla.org/en/products/firefox/firefox-news/firefox-suggest/

LOL... supposedly 'opt in' and america only at first.... funny I'm in the UK and had to use about:config to disable it and I'm sure it will be changed to opt-out pretty quickly.... oh how I love the way firefox is focusing on the junk we don't need :rolleyes:

edit: and the irony in the first paragraph of their announcement...
they've just done the exact thing they're complaining about when they've stuck adverts in the address bar when I'm trying to either go direct to a site or open an old site...

There is nothing more that really presses me right off is that. Forcing adverts on me. Get the hell out of here with that crap. It's getting to the point I'm going to have to get a PiHole.

Soldato
oh do keep up, we were on about this middle of last month :p

OK, that's enough for me. I'm looking for an alternative as I don't like the way this is heading at all.

The below should fix it for now, although supposedly the settings should disable it (it didn't for me because I don't even have said option in settings) and it shouldn't be outside the US (or at least it's supposed to be like that).... funnily I had suggestions in the UK with no way to turn them off outside of about:config....

Someone tagged me on the Reddit thread with a fix for the Firefox Suggest, go to about:config and set browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled to false.

Last edited:
Associate
oh do keep up, we were on about this middle of last month :p

The below should fix it for now, although supposedly the settings should disable it (it didn't for me because I don't even have said option in settings) and it shouldn't be outside the US (or at least it's supposed to be like that).... funnily I had suggestions in the UK with no way to turn them off outside of about:config....

I already fixed it for now and since I'm outside the US I'm probably fine anyway for a while. But, as I said, I don't like the direction that Mozilla are taking with this and it looks inevitable that I'm going to have to find an alternative at some point anyway.

Associate
As this is kind of the official FF thread, i'll ask a question in here.

My browser is spazzing out from this morning. Nothing has changed as far as i'm aware, Edge and Brave work fine/ normal. However my GPU did spaz out last night in a game, and this morning there were lots of little strange squares about on the screen, but all disappeared shortly after.

All websites are missing some text/ letters, and there's black sharp lines a few inches long at random angles across random areas. When i move my mouse various parts of any website disappear and reappear, such as the text and lines.

All very strange. Does FF use the GPU more than compared to other browsers?

[edit]
Turned off hardware acceleration in browser, that seems to have fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom