Changes to towing rules incoming

Soldato
This will be helpful, i always wanted to get a trailer to tow a track car around but with added hassle of having to get a test, take time off work etc for something so boring just never seemed worth it. I could have just about got away with a 1500kg plated trailer and a sub 1ton car, but then i'd need the trailer specially plating etc etc and it's all just too much hassle and expense.

I don't think the majority of people will suddenly rush out and buy large trailers so i don't think there's much extra risk for us getting the B+E entitlement when so many older people had it anyway without issue.

The kind of people that tow dangerously would have done so anyway and probably did without the correct licence in the first place.

Caporegime
Seen Golfs towing twin axle caravans, so you know, idiots gonna idiot irrespective of the rules.

Will help us too. Currently I can tow but Vix can’t if I’m unable to for any reason. This change will mean we’ve got the peace of mind that we can share driving on longer journeys or can still get home if I get ill/injured at the track etc.

Sounds like a good backup plan, hope both you guys are doing well!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This will be helpful, i always wanted to get a trailer to tow a track car around but with added hassle of having to get a test, take time off work etc for something so boring just never seemed worth

It's genuinely scary how many people thought getting proper training and taking a test was a barrier to towing for them.

Soldato
It's genuinely scary how many people thought getting proper training and taking a test was a barrier to towing for them.

You've got to accept it is quite a hassle for most people though right? A week off work to have the training and test plus around £1000 the last time i looked, that's big money for most people and not something you'd do on a whim. Plus even in normal times the lead time on booking a test always seemed to be months and months.

Even using a weeks worth of your annual leave on something for yourself when you have a family is a big enough ask.

Soldato
A week?! I had never towed anything before and I took a 1.5 day course with my test in the afternoon of the 2nd day.

I definitely learned a few things during those 2 days and I certainly would not have wanted to just hitch a trailer on and drive around with zero towing knowledge.

Think it cost me around £400 and was worth every penny to learn how to hitch/unhitch, reverse with a trailer and have someone sitting alongside me for a few hours to give helpful tips.

Soldato
Now to just convince the in-laws to let me use the motorhome. Still not sure I'd fancy it down the Cornwall lanes though :D

New rules are only for towing weight limits it doesn’t give you the C entitlement to drive vechiles up to 7.5t. A lot of the bigger motor homes have a MAM over the standard 3.5t license.

Soldato
A week?! I had never towed anything before and I took a 1.5 day course with my test in the afternoon of the 2nd day.

I definitely learned a few things during those 2 days and I certainly would not have wanted to just hitch a trailer on and drive around with zero towing knowledge.

Think it cost me around £400 and was worth every penny to learn how to hitch/unhitch, reverse with a trailer and have someone sitting alongside me for a few hours to give helpful tips.

This really. Mine was a bit more at £650 but was a 2 day thing with the test on the second day.

I failed. D'oh. My own fault, approaching a roundabout heading straight over, van oncoming that was indicating to do a u-turn and I just missed it...

The training was useful really and quite glad I did it, still glad I don't need to re-book to test again now :D

Soldato
New rules are only for towing weight limits it doesn’t give you the C entitlement to drive vechiles up to 7.5t. A lot of the bigger motor homes have a MAM over the standard 3.5t license.

It's annoying. I hold D/D1, so rigid vehicles in excess of 10t yet I can't hire a decent sized motorhome because I don't have C.

IMO Obtaining D should automatically grant me C due to the vehicles being of smaller size/weight.

Caporegime
Just passed my C today with three minors and already booked my C+E. not really bothered about waiting for the new changes as it will cost the same anyway and would have dreaded going straight into a artic anyway!

Was speaking to the guys at the learning center and if anything the new rules are going to put many companies out of business leading to less drivers getting tests. The company I am going through 40% of the business was trailers which has just gone in the blink of the eye. Plus most training centers are stacked with van + trailers and rigids but have a couple of artics at most so even if they could do more tests they don't have the equipment to carry it out.

Absolutely clueless from the government.

Last edited:
Soldato
You've got to accept it is quite a hassle for most people though right? A week off work to have the training and test plus around £1000 the last time i looked, that's big money for most people and not something you'd do on a whim. Plus even in normal times the lead time on booking a test always seemed to be months and months.

Even using a weeks worth of your annual leave on something for yourself when you have a family is a big enough ask.
If you think you're competent enough to be towing a car trailer about with no training then you don't need a week off work, just a couple of hours to go get tested. So why didn't you do this before?

Back
Top Bottom