Parallels 19 is out (the thread previously about Parallels 17 and 18)

Soldato
You can also Sandbox it pretty well with this option:

2021-09-16SandboxVM.jpg

Soldato
OK great. that looks like excellent advices. Best way to back this up ? I put a synology in, so active backup sync (network, whole image backup of windows system) in the windows VM, or use time machine on the mac and back the whole thing up ? It seems like it wants to back up the whole 68GB system each time on timemachine, doesn't seem that efficient to me, or just do both and let them do what they do. ?

Soldato
OK great. that looks like excellent advices. Best way to back this up ? I put a synology in, so active backup sync (network, whole image backup of windows system) in the windows VM, or use time machine on the mac and back the whole thing up ? It seems like it wants to back up the whole 68GB system each time on timemachine, doesn't seem that efficient to me, or just do both and let them do what they do. ?

My folders with machines are excluded from TM due to the amount of delta data they create - it can fill up your backup disk very quickly if you're not careful. What I tend to do is have a snapshot schedule set and then periodically just copy the whole machine to my backup store on my NAS.

The regular snapshotting is called 'SmartGuard' and is under 'Backup'. I do three for my daily work machine and then every Friday I copy it to my NAS as a single image. I'll also do specific snapshots before any major SW installs or updates.

2021-09-16Snapshot.jpg

Associate
With an m1 mac on the way, i'm looking for a platform to run windows on. It appears that Parrallels can run x64 windows on apple silicon. Am I right in that assumption? Is the subscription really worth it vs. the home one time purchase?

Thanks

Soldato
It’s not x64 windows, no. It’s the ARM version but that version of windows will run many x64 windows apps. I use that setup every day and it works great. Not often I find stuff that doesn’t work.

Soldato
Pretty sure it’s the only way at the minute, and even then it’s questionable from a licensing perspective as you can’t really buy ARM Windows other than OEM on specific devices. You have to use the Insider Preview. It doesn’t work on Fusion - well, the Fusion version I have, I haven’t looked into it that much on the VMWare platform.

It seems to be s/w with media and timing dependencies that don’t really work by the way - like Skype for Business/WebEx type stuff.

Soldato
So as a new Mac user, can you use Parallels 17 to run Arm Linux, or is it Windows only? Their website doesn't seem to mention Linux, and it makes out that Windows is the crucial thing. If it is Windows only, I'll wait for the official release of VMWare Fusion for M1 Macs.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Soldato
Awesome. Thank you. Interesting that it supports far more Linux distributions on Intel when compared to M1. I know for a fact those Intel only Linux distributions have an Arm version so I'm not sure what the thinking was when it comes to removing support for them on M1 Macs.

Most likely just not got around to testing them yet, they'll have done the popular stuff first.

Soldato
They release a new version every year - I'm on their subscription programme, and I downloaded Parallels 16 on the 11th August 2020 so it's been almost exactly a year.

This may be my last year. I still need Windows for one or two little tasks but I have a little Dell SFF PC I might repurpose for that and run headless.

I guess I'll end up getting the subscription myself in that case. I do need to run virtual machines having the latest software is important to me.

Soldato
I tend to dip in and out, I'll buy an upgrade whenever it stops working on a newer version of the OS, or I need some feature. Recently bought 17 as I needed the TPM chip feature. Usually every 3 years or so.

I've been beta testing it since v1, so usually get to try the latest version for a few months at no cost anyway. Unfortunately they don't give out free license keys as a reward for bug reports like they did years ago!

Also why I bought a 16" MBP before they went full in on Apple Silicon. Some of us still need Intel support...

Soldato
Tried Parallels 17 with ARM Windows 11. It's a very polished and optimised experience, unlike UTM or VMWare Fusion which still have some way to go.

Back
Top Bottom