Did Covid kill the panel show?

Associate
There used to be loads about on catch up services; Have I got news for you, Would I lie to you, QI, Room 101, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Mock the Week, Buzzcocks... you get the idea.

But there seem to be none now, there always used to be something on iPlayer but recently I've struggled to find any new content, admittedly I've not really looked at 4od at though. Maybe it's a dying format?

Associate
The format was getting very stale, so having the enforced break might freshen it up. You see the same old faces, telling variations of the same old joke.

Soldato
Buzzcocks is pretty much the only thing that would make me watch anything BBC again, and i have no idea why but i missed out on the entire 8/10 Cats thing, but clips on youtube seem really funny

Mock The Week and HIGNFY turned into the weeky bash the right show in the last few years and become unfunny trash

Caporegime
Never Mind the Buzzcocks is coming back.....on Sky Max with Greg Davies hosting.

I imagine HIGNFY turned in to a "bash the right" channel because the right have been in charge of the country for 10 years and take the flak (satire) for bad decisions.

As opposed to the left, who aren't in power

Soldato
The format was getting very stale, so having the enforced break might freshen it up. You see the same old faces, telling variations of the same old joke.

Yeah. I think there seems to be now a collection of these kind of panel show "celebs" where all they do is move between all of the shows and make a career out of it. There's a big group of them now and it does seem to be getting a bit old.

Soldato
Not panel shows but there's a few good things on Dave and Comedy Central recently too with some decent guests - Rhod Gilbert's Growing Pains, Guessable and Channel Hopping with Jon Richardson.

Also a new series of QI started last week.

I'll hold off for QI XL, although it's far less consistent these days as it always used to be on a few days after the regular-length show whereas in the past couple of years, it's weeks later and sometimes entire episodes aren't XL'd at all.

Soldato
Guessable was done during Covid. If it was filmed before Covid, the captains and guests would have sat on a couch, instead of armchairs.

Though this is a quiz show, heard that The Wheel was designed by Michael McIntyre as an alternative for his other show which is theatre based.

Soldato
I'm done with panel shows, they bore me to death now. Predictable, unfunny and always, always the same guests on rotation between them all.

8 out 10 cats - done with it, like 10 years ago. Killed by a few things but mostly by the laughter of Jimmy Carr.

Soldato
All the usual panel shows carried on as normal, some did zoom versions of the series before coming back to the studio like HIGNFY and since then they spaced the guests out and put shields up, even the ones on Sky like League of their own has had a series or two since covid started.

Back
Top Bottom