Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I was a bit shocked looking at gas & electric prices a couple of weeks ago, after being quoted about 50% increase for renewal with my current supplier which prompted me to shop around. Prices have indeed gone mad recently... Still, switched to a different supplier which was considerably cheaper than renewing with my old supplier.

I went back and checked the supplier I went with today and the price is up by about 10% since I switched to them!

I went for a 2 year fixed price contract on the basis I expect prices may keep rising. If they do go down next year then I might switch again (no early exit fee), but so far I think I was lucky to get in when I did....

Soldato
It's just the convenience of them adding all the required fixings too.
Looks interesting, good way of bringing the overall cost down, is there any reason you can't fit it yourself.

Lot of different parts, would not a lot of research to find which to get.

Caporegime
Decided to switch. Switched to a 3 year no exit fee 200 pounds cash back provider.

That way if things keep going up I'm locked in. If they go down, no exit fees.

22p a unit from 16p though. Ouch.

There was a 21p provider but waay less cashback and exit fees and shorter lock in.

Actually went with one of the big boys as last thing I want is a little one to go bust and be stuck on 30p a unit variable!

Soldato
12 wires.. and I checked zero house insurance cover if it should happened to become faulty and cause a fire. I''m all for saving money, but not at the expense of losing my house, I looked at locating it in my shed, but that would have involved loads extra electrical work which would have cancelled out most of the savings... so less being a smart arse. I am sure you've checked with your house insurance provider that they will cover you right? ;)

Mine insured ok.
And I have a bigger pack in my wheel chair which is also covered by insurance.

Building a 8S pack take 30 mins.
But anyway. Enjoy those cells :)

Caporegime
Someone talk to me about Octopus Go. I have an EV coming at the end of the month and this seems to be the most-recommended tariff.

I am currently with OVO and I have solar panels, but as far as I can see the main difference is their off-peak rates (between 00:30-04:30 - an ideal time to charge seeing as there's no sun ;)) but all other times they're about the same or more expensive. With solar, I've learned to side with tariffs with a lower standing charge as the generation takes care of 60% of my usage and I'd rather not pay through the nose on a standing charge when I'm not using it, which is another area they're higher than my current supplier but I digress.

The question I have: when you switch they put you on an interim tariff? Their website is definitely a dumpster fire in explaining the process, given I'd have to get gas separately :confused:

Many in here are talking about their agile plan... is this worth considering with an EV or not? I haven't looked in to it. FYI I don't have any battery backup.
Can you post back your experiences in a little while? We're buying a house with SPs and an electric car, so I'd be interested to know how you fare.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can you post back your experiences in a little while? We're buying a house with SPs and an electric car, so I'd be interested to know how you fare.
No problem. I pulled the trigger on a switch to Octopus Go earlier, so I'll update you in a few months with some real data.

AFAIK my Easee Robot charger has the ability to track usage over time which should be interesting. I anticipate charging at night when the rate is 5p/kWH or during the middle of the day when the solar is working at it's peak :cool:

Caporegime
No problem. I pulled the trigger on a switch to Octopus Go earlier, so I'll update you in a few months with some real data.

AFAIK my Easee Robot charger has the ability to track usage over time which should be interesting. I anticipate charging at night when the rate is 5p/kWH or during the middle of the day when the solar is working at it's peak :cool:
Thanks.

Nice thats good to know. We're moving to solar panels next week so we'll need a supplier soon, but the electric car we're getting is estimated to be delivered in January, so a bit of time on that front. No idea what charging point we'll have is, there is one installed in the house already.

I'm thinking about trying to find a cheap short term deal (probably not much chance of that!) until we've had a few months running the SPs to work out usage and how much they produce.

Soldato
Martin Lewis from MSE was on the radio warning to be careful going for small providers right now. A few have gone into administration due to not having enough capital to ride out the current cap (or something like that).

Caporegime
Martin Lewis from MSE was on the radio warning to be careful going for small providers right now. A few have gone into administration due to not having enough capital to ride out the current cap (or something like that).

Yeah I've for the first time gone with a big boy. For exactly that.
200 pounds cash back too. Which should cover 2 months of utilities for free.

Man of Honour
I am with PFP Energy and British Gas are putting me on this:

Screenshot-2021-09-17-at-13-32-45.png

It's really expensive to what I was on, great!

Back
Top Bottom