When you order a takeaway for pick up…

Caporegime
Or maybe they just don't want to deal with cards, after all cash is a legal and legitimate form of payment. To label businesses that don't accept card as dodgy or not legit is baseless.

You've posted a link an 8 year old article that shows that particular business was bad, you can't tar every takeaway with the same brush purely because they accept a legal and normal way to pay for goods.

There's literally hundreds of articles on Google and I clicked on the first one and didn't check the dates

Caporegime
And that proves that takeaway without the functioning card machines is breaking the law how?

You don't have to have proof of someone breaking the law to report them.

For example if someone was driving erratically at 2am at night on a quiet road on a residential street. Would you try and pull them over to question and breathalyse them or would you simply call the police and hope they get to them before they injure themselves and others?

Soldato
You don't have to have proof of someone breaking the law to report them.

For example if someone was driving erratically at 2am at night on a quiet road on a residential street. Would you try and pull them over to question and breathalyse them or would you simply call the police and hope they get to them before they injure themselves and others?
Driving erratically is driving without due care and attention though. A business accepting cash in exchange for goods isn't a crime, it's just normal business.

Caporegime
Driving erratically is driving without due care and attention though. A business accepting cash in exchange for goods isn't a crime, it's just normal business.

So is giving a 20% discount for cash then considered crime in your eyes or not?

You know perfectly well why a business would be cash only in this day and age especially a takeaway during a pandemic where most people started refusing cash.

Soldato
So is giving a 20% discount for cash then considered crime in your eyes or not?

You know perfectly well why a business would be cash only in this day and age especially a takeaway during a pandemic where most people started refusing cash.
I've never come across a takeaway that offers discount for cash payment.

Just because some, or even the majority accept card, doesn't mean cash is illegal or even considered suspicion of a crime.

Soldato
Used to serve my local takeaway owner (greek chip shop and chinese takeaway) when I sold electronics at retail. As a staff we actually used to 'jump on' chinese customers as we always knew 99% of the time they'd have a wad of notes to pay with, and generally didn't mess around too much during the sales process.

"Any discount for cash"
"No because I have to pay the armoured van to come and collect it each week, card preferred"

Just because some, or even the majority accept card, doesn't mean cash is illegal or even considered suspicion of a crime.
Yeah it's a new one to me too - only ever a discount for collection

If PS wants to get worked up about folk paying cash, he just needs to look in the Home & Garden sub where it is a badge of honour to pay your tradie in pound notes to get a wicked discount.

Caporegime

Yet the person who brought it up said he was sure they were doing it to avoid tax. It was me who asked if they had reported them.

So maybe you should go and convince them their local is doing nothing wrong.

Associate
Yet the person who brought it up said he was sure they were doing it to avoid tax. It was me who asked if they had reported them.

So maybe you should go and convince them their local is doing nothing wrong.

This is a big assumption to make…

Merchants pay a fee for every time a card payment is used. There’s also that assumption…

Man of Honour
Our local Indian restaurant does a cash discount, not 20% mind, 10% I think. My other half pays cash if she collects, I don’t as I never have cash on me.

On the assumption that your average bill is £20, I’d either let her pay for it then transfer the £20 from my account to hers online, or go get it myself, stopping at an ATM to pull out £20 en route.

Soldato
This is a big assumption to make…

Merchants pay a fee for every time a card payment is used. There’s also that assumption…
It was outlawed to add additional fees on for card payments not that long ago. So I imagine giving a discount for card payments is totally at odds with that law.

A retailer is within their right to have a minimum spend on card, however.

It was outlawed to add additional fees on for card payments not that long ago. So I imagine giving a discount for card payments is totally at odds with that law.

A retailer is within their right to have a minimum spend on card, however.

But the discount isn't for card, it's for cash, because cards come with a higher cost.

Cash also costs the company to bank it, but they may pay supplies with it, and it's safer to have in the sense that once you're paid, you're paid. No dealing with charge backs 11 months later.

Soldato
But the discount isn't for card, it's for cash, because cards come with a higher cost.

Cash also costs the company to bank it, but they may pay supplies with it, and it's safer to have in the sense that once you're paid, you're paid. No dealing with charge backs 11 months later.

Discount if you pay cash is the same as saying discount if you don't use card. Not sure how the law sees it though?

I don't disagree cash costs more (see my post about my very experience in retail where that was my rebuttal).

Soldato
There is a difference between selling something for £10 and offering a £0.50 discount for paying by cash, and selling something for £9.50 and charging £0.50 extra for using a card.

The latter is deceptive, and not lawful, but factoring in card processing fees into your prices and offering a discount when a customer uses a cheaper method of payment is fine.

Discount if you pay cash is the same as saying discount if you don't use card. Not sure how the law sees it though?

I don't disagree cash costs more (see my post about my very experience in retail where that was my rebuttal).
i see your point, but i'm fairly certain as longbow has pointed out, the difference is that a £10 item, would be £10.50 when at the till due to card charges, but now instead, the £10.50 item, is now reduced to £10 for cash payments, and this is fine as the customer "gains" and doesn't see an unknown increase.

Permabanned
I've never understood ordering for collection myself, well unless you're really tight with the money?
Just pay for it to come to your door job done.
I used to work with a woman who told me off for ordering a portion of chips with a take away while I would have a bag of them in the freezer...It's just no the same though is it? If I wanted to cook I would have lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
There is a difference between selling something for £10 and offering a £0.50 discount for paying by cash, and selling something for £9.50 and charging £0.50 extra for using a card.

The latter is deceptive, and not lawful, but factoring in card processing fees into your prices and offering a discount when a customer uses a cheaper method of payment is fine.
The Australian law is quite specific on surcharge and discounts being the same thing

Soldato
Had this god knows how many times at our restaurant, we use to do takeaways as well and the amount of times people picked up the wrong order because they got the names mixed up cos they just assumed!

Then only to call back and say you got my order wrong?! No **** Einstein that ain't your order to then demand freebies or something for compensation lol. My dad was too nice though, he would always give in and give them what they want but mum would put a little marker next to their names and telephone numbers to becareful with these people and to triple check their orders before handing it over :cry:.

Soldato
"What name do you leave when ordering a takeaway"?

Well first I conduct an 11-point spot check of their staff's immigration status and written English, then I check 6 years of Companies House records and ask if anyone in the building hangs the toilet paper the wrong way. If there are tax dodgers or TP deviants present I give them a fake name and turn up wearing a moustache and nose disguise".
:cry::cry::cry: Dying at this comment haha!

Back
Top Bottom