Online coffee beans retailer

Soldato
Yup, as I suspected, the right one is what i expect from a very mass produced beans, like your Starbucks, or Lavazza beans. It tastes burnt because it almost is.

Left is more a medium, it's the colour I usually go for, around that ballpark, it's pretty good actually.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Hormozi for the price. It's a huge step up in quality compared to the mass-produced like you say.

Caporegime
I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Hormozi for the price. It's a huge step up in quality compared to the mass-produced like you say.

What is annoying sometimes is that you can find a bean that you LOVE, but there is no guarantee that the next harvest tastes the same because it's an organic product. So sometimes if you find a bag that you absolutely love, it might be worth getting a few bags just in case. You can get it again next season hoping for the same.

Or, find a blend that you like, a blend should be easier to be more consistent and longer lasting because they can just adjust it with several beans to get close to the same profile. A bit like Tropicana Orange Juice tastes the same all year round, but no 2 oranges tastes exactly the same.

But it's also good that sometimes you can find a bargain, like it seems you have here, £11 for a kg of coffee should be like Lavazza level but it clearly isn't and your taste buds tells you as much.

Soldato
My Hormozi beans arrived today. Roasted 13/09/2021. Despite the advice to rest the beans I had to try them. The first dialling in shot was made with the Jamaican Blue Mountain blend - it was pretty near the mark in terms of an almost perfect bottomless portafilter shot (minimal channeling) and the time it took to fill a shot of espresso. It was quite bitter though so after a couple of sips I poured it out.

I went for a finer grind on the next, which improved the bottomless portafilter pour - however the channeling always comes a little later in the pour unfortunately. My single shot whole milk latte was really nice. My wife's double shot with a tiny bit of steamed semi-skimmed was lovely too. We're happy with the beans, however our hunt for the favourite will continue. I anticipate many more dial-ins to come.

Really can't stand the Costco beans now. San Francisco Bay, Colombian or even the Lavazza they sell - I won't be able to go back. If I am to have a supermarket/stale backup it will have to be one of the recommendations made in this thread.
Which beans and roast did you go for? They seem good value if they are nice.

Soldato
We had an espresso each this morning with the Hormozi Jamaica Blue Mountain Blend, with a little more fine-tuning in the setup. 18g for a 25-30 sec pour to fill an espresso cup. Bottomless portafilter with the tiniest bit of channeling. The result was a delicious drink which seemed to get better with every sip. Also has a lovely aftertaste.

I had originally thought the Hormozi beans would be the budget backup, but these could well be my go-to bean.

Soldato
I'll have to try them out and see how it compares to the real thing! Whenever family go out to Jamaica, which due to covid has been a while now, I always ask them to bring me back coffee if I don't go with them

Cheaper than getting a flight out there, that's for sure!

Soldato
Just ordered a bunch of sample packs from Hormozi off the back of this thread. Our usual go to is Lavazza Qualita Rossa, but Hormozi seem to be close to the same price/kg, so we'll see how they compare :)

Soldato
I expect this Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend is more a blend of beans to have a similar profile to the real thing, hence the name. Which is fair enough, and if you can get a similar taste for like 1/10th of the price, fantastic.

Have you given it a go? I found it quite nice. Gone back to Rave's Italian Job Blend for now but will likely return to Hormozi as the prices were great and their beans have had the closest to a perfect bottomless pour in my BE.

Soldato
Our usual go to is Lavazza Qualita Rossa, but Hormozi seem to be close to the same price/kg, so we'll see how they compare :)

Unfortunately you may find you can't stand the Lavazza beans after you try freshly roasted beans. That's the case with us. We have our supermarket beans in a sealed jar just for show now really :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Unfortunately you may find you can't stand the Lavazza beans after you try freshly roasted beans. That's the case with us. We have our supermarket beans in a sealed jar just for show now really :rolleyes:

Agreed, went back to some supermarket beans after a short holiday and I'd rather not have a coffee. If you drink your coffee black, the difference is huge.

That said, I did find Lavazza better than most supermarket brands when I first started out drinking "proper" coffee.

Caporegime
Have you given it a go? I found it quite nice. Gone back to Rave's Italian Job Blend for now but will likely return to Hormozi as the prices were great and their beans have had the closest to a perfect bottomless pour in my BE.

Not yet, I will after I go through my stash. I recently bought a kg from a local roaster for £27, and that is after the bag of Union Revelation that i have to go through first. So I am good for at least 3 months.

Soldato

If there's really that much of a difference then given most of the blends and even a lot of the single origin ones cost <£5/kilo more than the Lavazza, I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing :p

Soldato
Agreed, went back to some supermarket beans after a short holiday and I'd rather not have a coffee. If you drink your coffee black, the difference is huge.

That said, I did find Lavazza better than most supermarket brands when I first started out drinking "proper" coffee.
Exactly - we're doing IF at the moment so morning and midday coffees are espresso. With supermarket beans mine would go down with a grimace. With (most of) these fresh roasted beans I have thoroughly enjoyed my drink and look forward to the next.

Not yet, I will after I go through my stash. I recently bought a kg from a local roaster for £27, and that is after the bag of Union Revelation that i have to go through first. So I am good for at least 3 months.
That's a decent stash of coffee you have. We drink our way through coffee quite fast. At least 4 espressos between the 2 of us each day means we can buy in bulk :D.

If there's really that much of a difference then given most of the blends and even a lot of the single origin ones cost <£5/kilo more than the Lavazza, I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing :p
Like most things in life, I'd pay the extra for improved quality and a better experience.

Soldato

I used to swear by those Lavazza (the red ones and the gold ones when I could find them) I thought they were fantastic.

Until I became good friends with the local roasters and now I can't stand them

Back
Top Bottom