Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad mini thread (it has a USB-C port and everything!) ***

New 2021 iPad mini - Are you getting one?

• Yes, yes I am.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Nope, not this time.

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Apple really wants you to buy the air or the pro if you want a 'larger display', the base iPad is just there to get people into the iOS ecosystem by using the lower price as it's main selling point, we all know it could do with being better spec'd.
There’s a large client base who frequents my store which won’t buy an iPad without a home button.
Apple are aware of this. The basic model is here to stay for a long time

Man of Honour
Apple really wants you to buy the air or the pro if you want a 'larger display', the base iPad is just there to get people into the iOS ecosystem by using the lower price as it's main selling point, we all know it could do with being better spec'd.

I don’t play along with these games, I’ll wait for what I want even if it’s in a few years.

Soldato
Can anyone expand upon why they feel the mini is the right form factor for them?
Idea was as a replacement for an a5 notepad when with clients, think grabbing pictures along with sketching adding notes etc, price says nope though lol.

I'd prefer an ms neo but who knows if that will ever come out.

Soldato
Can anyone expand upon why they feel the mini is the right form factor for them?

For me, it's just a nicer form factor to be sat on the sofa with, I don't use cases/keyboard covers on my iPad Pro, and it's a little bit cumbersome for me at times. I don't have many single use devices, so the iPad is also my Kindle, the majority of my TV watching and also some work, and it's got to be on par with my 2018 iPad Pro now, other than things which I don't really notice such as ProMotion, I am very tempted with it. I do think it's a little bit expensive for it. It's also easier to shove into my bag and be able to take on the train when travelling rather than breaking out a big full sized iPad Pro.

The fact that it's got 2nd Gen Pencil support is also a huge bonus as like the poster above, it replaces hand-written notes.

Associate
Idea was as a replacement for an a5 notepad when with clients, think grabbing pictures along with sketching adding notes etc, price says nope though lol.

I'd prefer an ms neo but who knows if that will ever come out.

And have you tried the mini form factor for note taking? Obviously all the above is possible with the Air for example. Wondering whether it would be cramped.

It's also easier to shove into my bag and be able to take on the train when travelling rather than breaking out a big full sized iPad Pro.

This is also what I’m wondering about. Both form factors fit comfortably into a bag. The mini can fit in a larger coat pocket, but if I am not wearing the coat there that’s not happening… I do get the portability factor though, especially using it in more confined spaces…

Soldato
I personally don’t buy the argument of the Mini as a travelling notepad. I have the Air for that task and it does it brilliantly.
I mean, the Air isn’t a big tablet as it is and I find the extra footprint easier to lean on for free hand note taking.
I recall having the Samsung Note 8(?) which was, as the title suggests, an 8 inch version of the Note tablet and I found note taking to be a real PITA, especially if you didn’t have a desk or such to lean on.

For the price of the mini I think it just makes the Air look like even better value for money.

Soldato
And have you tried the mini form factor for note taking? Obviously all the above is possible with the Air for example. Wondering whether it would be cramped.
Been a while admittedly but I've tried the idea with a nexus 7 (so even smaller and no dedicated stylus) and it worked fine for my use case.

Could I move up to a bigger device, yeah, but I don't feel I need a larger device purely for note taking. I'd also say 2 inches extra on width and 2 inches on height is quite a difference in size between an mini and an air.

Associate
It feels like the portability factor might swing things IF I feel that I can go out and about and use it without lugging a bag around. Otherwise I might as well get the larger iPads or just bring my MBP.

Soldato
Weighing this up against the 11” pro, you’d have to be mad to buy a mini really.

for about £230 more you’re getting:

Ultrawide camera
Face ID
Faster CPU/GPU
120hz screen
Brighter screen 600nits
Double the storage (64gb vs 128gb)
Smart connector; can use the keyboard
Better quad speakers
LIDAR

Associate
It's the same as the 12inch MacBook, they are praying on the 'cute portability' factor where realistically drastically better models are barely much more expensive when going for a realistic device you will keep for awhile.

Soldato
I was looking at the new mini…. But I’m wondering if this is a good alternative…

https://www.mi.com/uk/xiaomi-pad-5/

Couldn't tell you, as I haven't used it - therefore can't give it a true comparison, I assume MIUI is still similar to the ROM back when I last used Android, what I will say is Android tablets are generally a long way behind iPads - Apple really do seem to have won the market with them. Would love to see them get a true competitor to push them.

Associate
it maybe a typical apple, new revision so put the price up and then cut next year...for the price maxed out...which is realistic it needs a few more features to be competitive. Again, its paying a price for extra portability. I'd like to have seen a better screen.... I do wonder also if the size is too close to the pro sizes...

Associate
I think saying that the mini is too expensive is a bit harsh… it’s still a solid package on its own and can fit in a coat pocket. For many people it’s worth the price of admission for that alone.

Back
Top Bottom