• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3*** Super and 4*** cards in 2022

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Turing flagship is the RTX Titan and very nice and compact they are too even with 24gb of VRAM.

Sadly they were sold at a stupidly high price.
Someone will be along soon to argue with you as to the meaning of flagship. Was fun watching people going mad over it when nvidia named the 3080 their flagship :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Personally it has got to a stage now where even my 3070 plays everything I want at 4K just fine for my needs so I am in no rush whatsoever. As now people have shown they are happy buying second hand cards for nearly full price or even more, I will just keep my 3070 until after I get a 4070/80 rather than trying to time the selling and probably sell it for what I paid for it still :cry:

I would be more interested if they can get an uplift in RT performance as Ampere did not offer the uplift I was expecting.

Associate
Supers due in Jan and 4000's in Oct 22

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/s...nuary-2021geforce-rtx-40-in-october-2022.html

Thoughts? Annoyed? Couldn't care less?

I'm sure the 3090 Super will annoy the current 3090 owners who thought they got the cream of the crop?

3060 Super cards going for £700+ :D

3090 Super for £2k?

I'm not sure I understand why you think a 3090 Super would annoy current 3090 owners although I may be missing something. You are suggesting that people "thought" they got the cream of the crop although wasn't that true, and still is? I've never bought a GPU expecting it to retain top position for more than a year anyway, and also can't think of many who would. There's nothing to be annoyed about by a better card being released over a year later. This is more about value than having the top card.

I personally won't be annoyed as I paid £1399 for a 3090FE last year and have been happily gaming on it since then without having to live by stock updates or contend with the annoyance of looking at an incomplete new build in the corner. That alone was worth the price difference over a virtually non-existent 3080 although it's also come into its own for FS2020 in VR. If a card marginally beats this one but comes in at £2000 over a year later I won't, in the least bit, be annoyed. What I would have been annoyed with was deciding to hold out for 3080ti only to struggle to get one and then pay more for a very similar but, nonetheless, lower spec card months down the line. A 3090 in the hand is worth more than 2 3080's in the bush.

Again, I may be missing something though.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure I understand why you think a 3090 Super would annoy current 3090 owners although I may be missing something. You are suggesting that people "thought" they got the cream of the crop although wasn't that true, and still is? I've never bought a GPU expecting it to retain top position for more than a year anyway, and also can't think of many who would. There's nothing to be annoyed about by a better card being released over a year later. This is more about value than having the top card.

I personally won't be annoyed as I paid £1399 for a 3090FE last year and have been happily gaming on it since then without having to live by stock updates or contend with the annoyance of looking at an incomplete new build in the corner. That alone was worth the price difference over a virtually non-existent 3080 although it's also come into its own for FS2020 in VR. If a card marginally beats this one but comes in at £2000 over a year later I won't, in the least bit, be annoyed. What I would have been annoyed with was deciding to hold out for 3080ti only to struggle to get one and then pay more for a very similar but, nonetheless, lower spec card months down the line. A 3090 in the hand is worth more than 2 3080's in the bush.

More along the lines of, i was thinking back to the 1080Ti, where people thought there wasn't going to be a Ti and were miffed that one came out later.

Associate
The prices have generally been due to the supply of the wafers. Which means if they can bring optimisations or other benefits to the super range which essentially having little change in pricing then that's a good thing for people in the market for cards. It won't make availability any better if they're using the same process, but I don't see it hurting prices either.

The faster we can get to a smaller node with 4000 series the better. Getting onto a new node eliminates competition at that node, specifically with the consoles which will cling to the existing nodes for the consoles for a number of years to come until plausibly they get mid-series refreshes on the APU, that seems unlikely at least any time soon. That's hundreds of millions less units to compete against why buying the wafers from the fabs and hopefully marginally better numbers for the 4000 series.

Will be giving the Super's and RTX 4xxx a miss personally.
Have spent far more than I wanted to on a 3070 and 3080 Ti.

So the ONLY way it may happen is if I can sell a card high nearer the time that would pretty much cover the cost of a new card.
But I certainly will not be putting any new freshly earned cash towards one.

Soldato
Will be giving the Super's and RTX 4xxx a miss personally.
Have spent far more than I wanted to on a 3070 and 3080 Ti.

So the ONLY way it may happen is if I can sell a card high nearer the time that would pretty much cover the cost of a new card.
But I certainly will not be putting any new freshly earned cash towards one.
Yeh I think I may be in the same boat.
I've done okay this gen trading up and minimising my costs but now that I have a 3080 Ti FE I'm not sure I'll be replacing it any time soon.

As you say depends on next gen price/performance/availability and if I can recoup my costs.

I think a CPU/platform upgrade should be my next focus. This 5820k is starting to show its age.

Soldato

I can't see there being a 3080 Ti Super as that would have to take up room inbetween the 3080 Ti and 3090 which outside of the memory amount is a tiny sliver of difference i.e 10,240 CUDA cores on the 3080 Ti vs 10,496 CUDA cores on the 3090, I can't see it as it wouldn't be worth it.

A 3090 Super or 3090 Black Edition I could see as the full GA102 core has somewhere in the region of 10,700 CUDA cores.

Soldato
it`ll be the RTX 3090 SUPER with the full fat GA102 with 10752 cuda cores (unless NV are making more money from the A6000 with the same core)

and maybe an RTX 3080 super with 9000 odd cores?

This makes the most sense, It'll be like the 2000 series Supers all over again albeit this time with an ultra high end Halo product, The 3090 Super.

Soldato
There's still a great need for more RT performance, so if you care about that then an upgrade is a must. For general raster performance then this gen is certainly in a good spot and you can easily ride an RX 6800/RTX 3070 for a couple of years and have a good time. Once you start hitting over games that have a particular RT effect on at all times though that's when it starts hurting, like we see with Metro Exodus EE (less so for RTX cards but equally you start feeling more pain than AMD in mem heavy titles, so ymmv).

I do think we'll see a(n "official") normalisation of the $2000 GPU with the next-gen of cards though. The high end, sure, but nonetheless it's going to be an expensive gen.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Are the 4-series meant to be MCM? Or is that going to be the 5-series cards?

If there’s only an incremental increase for the 4-series I’ll be skipping it and sticking with my 3090FE for another couple of years. Can’t see there being a massive generational leap until multi-core GPU’s are a thing.

Man of Honour

If there’s only an incremental increase for the 4-series I’ll be skipping it and sticking with my 3090FE for another couple of years. Can’t see there being a massive generational leap until multi-core GPU’s are a thing.

What is MCM, is that the likely price?

£1900

:D:p:D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Nope, not MCM, that will be 5000 series according to rumours. Also apparently there will be a nice leap. I can easily see the 4070 matching or beating a 3090 with much better RT for example.

What is MCM, is that the likely price?

£1900

:D:p:D

Multi Chip Module ;)

So not monolithic. Which is what all GOU’s have been to date.

Soldato
I'm not sure I understand why you think a 3090 Super would annoy current 3090 owners although I may be missing something.

Maybe "annoyed" is a strong word but there's 3090 owners in this very discussion saying they'll upgrade to a 4090 if it's a meaningful improvement. That suggests they aren't currently satisfied with what they've got.

Since I've been on this forum, I've never read a comment from a flagship owner say something like "I don't care how fast next gen is, I'm happy and content with what I have".

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Does AMD not use MCM? I thought they experimented with it.
My understanding is AMD's next gen stuff might be MCM. But this far as I say no MCM GPU's have ever come out, monolithic only.

So it will be interesting Nvidia going Monolithic again AMD's MCM. I hope AMD wipe the floor with them and get some sorely needed market share.

Back
Top Bottom