London transport letter (dont live in London)

Associate
Just wondering if anyone else has reveiced a letter from london transport the about the new ULEZ zones, but dont live, work or travel to London? No one else i have spoken to has?

Associate
OP
Guess I should state that the letter isn’t a fine, just states that my car may not meet ULEZ standards. That the letter has been based on DVLA information.

Soldato
under information disclosure laws maybe you can demand when they have seen it, and, refute that you were there, to avoid future complications.

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone else has reveiced a letter from london transport the about the new ULEZ zones, but dont live, work or travel to London? No one else i have spoken to has?

The only way they'd get your info is through registered keeper information.

The V5 doc would also allow them to work out if the vehicle meets ULEZ requirements.

But that should make it obvious you don't live in or around London. Have you ever paid the congestion charge?

Soldato
the CCTV for the new system is clocking the cars .. and the automatic fine ssystem. temporarily issuing heads-up letters.

How would CCTV get your address?

edit:

In terms of using ANPR systems to identify if you've travelled inside the zone, that would work. However, it'd be surprising that would be fair use of historic ANPR information. That is quite tightly controlled.

edit2:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1470538/car-tax-changes-london-ulez-charge-letter

If this article is correct, then TfL have no information other than number plates and have then convinced the DVLA to send out the letters, which gets around any data protection issues. So for the OP it's more likely the previous owner may have had an interaction with TfL rather than jumping to cloned number plates.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The only way they'd get your info is through registered keeper information.

The V5 doc would also allow them to work out if the vehicle meets ULEZ requirements.

But that should make it obvious you don't live in or around London. Have you ever paid the congestion charge?

The only time I do any where near London, is using the M25 and majority of those times I would be in a works car not mine. Nope I have never paid any congestion charge.

Associate
OP
How would CCTV get your address?

edit:

In terms of using ANPR systems to identify if you've travelled inside the zone, that would work. However, it'd be surprising that would be fair use of historic ANPR information. That is quite tightly controlled.

edit2:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1470538/car-tax-changes-london-ulez-charge-letter

If this article is correct, then TfL have no information other than number plates and have then convinced the DVLA to send out the letters, which gets around any data protection issues. So for the OP it's more likely the previous owner may have had an interaction with TfL rather than jumping to cloned number plates.

It is possible that the previous owner had some interaction with them? Yes possible and I can’t proof it either way. But looking at the cars history, I am the 2nd owner. The first owner was located in Liverpool, so unless they traveled to London a lot I can’t see it.

Back
Top Bottom