Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Soldato
The scientists and engineers aren't in leadership positions.

Those who are, always have other priorities. Like profits, like getting re-elected.

Because of our collective short-termism, we'll continue down the path to oblivion whilst saying to ourselves, "It's getting a bit warm, isn't it?" as our eyeballs catch fire :p

People know what needs to be done (mostly). People know that drastic action would be/is necessary. But they also see that drastic action (or much action at all) is simply nowhere to be seen. And people accept that. They just ignore it for the most case. We fully understand that we're not doing what is necessary. We just carry on regardless, collectively.

Humanity's collective motto could be, "I try not to worry about it."

Totally spot on. The people that could do something about climate change don't care because they have money to make and shareholders to please. So I guess we'll all go to hell whilst they screw every penny they can out of everywhere they can get it from.

Man of Honour
What I don't understand is why some of the members of the public didn't just drag them out of the way and drive through, some of the blockades looked to only have a few people. I'm pleasantly surprised in a way because I thought people didn't have the patience for this, but then equally annoyed people were soft enough to let a single line of 'protesters' block junctions. (I know in some places it was a lot but specifically in the places where there were less)

They tried but the police stopped them.

Caporegime
Yep - future generations may in fact despise us for not doing enough. If the human race is still around of course
we are 1% of the worlds emissions, I think we already do our bit.
try convincing the polluting countries instead or take manufacturing away from them and do it here cleaner.

if we really want to be eco friendly we should aim to be fully self sufficient or not be relying on countries that pollute

why block a motorway? go block some billionaires row in london or somewhere instead, they are the ones who can make a difference, most of us normal people already have a really tiny carbon footprint, It's not us who need teaching a lesson.

Go block an apple store and demand they take manufacturing for british sold products to a more environmentally friendly country or tell them to stop treating mobile phones like disposable products everyone should dump in a land fill every 6-12 months

Disposable society is the biggest problem, every device is disposable these days no matter the cost

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think they are a good thing.

We all need to wake up to what's happening.

Only today I read something n BBC that was pretty damning. But not surprising.

Scientists say we need to cut our emissions by 45 percent to stay on track.
But they are forecast to rise by 16 percent.

I personally think its all too late. And we won't act in time. So brining it to news articles is no bad thing.

Man of Honour
The KKK were considered heroes? :confused:

To quite a few people in the USA at the time, yes. Who are heroes and who are villains can change over time and place. That was my point. There's no objective measurement involved. It's mostly political.

Solely for the purpose of being annoying, how have you come to that conclusion?

Which conclusion?

Do you not think XR would support those same scientists and engineers being given a bigger platform and increased funding?

No. Why would they? That's not good politics.

Soldato
I am sure for it to be Terrorism there needs to be an element of, well, Terror? Annoyance/inconvinience doesn't really count.

Imagine if ISIS started sit ins and a leaflet campaign.

Caporegime
apparently a lady suffering a stroke was trapped on the motorway for 6 hours and is now paralysed
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ysed-getting-stuck-SIX-HOURS-M25-eco-mob.html

dailymail but whatever, I couldn't find the vid on youtube :p
good actor if it's not real, you can hear the pain and suffering in his voice
'I was there with my mother for six hours watching her slip away, and I could do nothing.
'When we got her to the hospital, the doctors said if we were to have gotten to them within 90 minutes, her symptoms, her recovery would have been minimal.
'Because she'd been left to endure a stroke for six hours she's got complete paralysis now down her left side. I am so angry and so upset – this didn't need to happen.'

Caporegime
What happens when countries like China start funding groups to block key trading routes in order to bring our economy to a halt? will we have enough police to stand there waching to make sure they don't get run over by lorries carries food for the shelves and medicines for prescriptions?

Caporegime
What happens when countries like China start funding groups to block key trading routes in order to bring our economy to a halt? will we have enough police to stand there waching to make sure they don't get run over?
all protesters that are arrested should have their finances checked to see whos paying them.

most protestors these days are paid in the states, go watch youtube videos about it :p they interview protestors who don't even know what the protest is for they were just paid to go there and grab a sign at the protest.

probably the same is happening here, what would happen if the protestors were getting payments from russia or china? is it now classed as terrorism? or something very serious?

I'm going to short mcdonalds and then pay a bunch of protestors minimum wage to go and block traffic from their supply depots and hubs.

easy money, is it really that far fetched?

Caporegime
This planet and its socioeconomics are up for a a major compumpence. The anarchist in me welcomes it; the nihilist in me isn't far behind.
in real anarchy most the people on this forum would be getting wrecked, all these protestors would be hiding in their basements

Soldato
D00d; there is a version of "reality" or "livability" incoming beyond even which the most optimistic within the food-chain will concede subtracts from their own worthability. Give it another twenty years ...

Soldato
The scientists and engineers aren't in leadership positions.

Those who are, always have other priorities. Like profits, like getting re-elected.

Because of our collective short-termism, we'll continue down the path to oblivion whilst saying to ourselves, "It's getting a bit warm, isn't it?" as our eyeballs catch fire :p

People know what needs to be done (mostly). People know that drastic action would be/is necessary. But they also see that drastic action (or much action at all) is simply nowhere to be seen. And people accept that. They just ignore it for the most case. We fully understand that we're not doing what is necessary. We just carry on regardless, collectively.

Humanity's collective motto could be, "I try not to worry about it."

Good post.

I think the British put up with a lot of rubbish before we bite back.

But when we do all hell breaks loose.

I think a lot of it is because the people who can do something about the various issues don't get involved in politics. I think it used to be said that those who aren't in politics should be, and those that are in shouldnt.

We're in a lot better position than the US in that we could all make a new political party today, stand in parish, council, then national elections and eventually we'd influence the government to move in our direction, abit like they did with UKIP/Brexit Party (even though they under performed).

You're right about short-termism. That's what the system relies on. People not standing their ground. I've lost count of the amount of elections were people have joined political parties and been gungho about it. Then when someone isn't elected they disappear completely.

Soldato
Totally spot on. The people that could do something about climate change don't care because they have money to make and shareholders to please. So I guess we'll all go to hell whilst they screw every penny they can out of everywhere they can get it from.

Yep. Like the reduction targets for zero CO2 emissions for 2050 i.e. when the current generation of politicians are long gone from office and likely this life too. It'll be the next generations problem when the targets are completely failed to be met and the world incinerates. Kicking the can right down the road but hey it gets them votes now and makes them look good.

Soldato
dont think they deserve the same word as people i consider an abomination of man, such as IS or ISIS ( whatever stupid name they call themself )

Caporegime
The green protestors blocking motorways are your typical illiberals, they'll virtue signal all day long on Twitter that they're doing it to save others from the "climate emergency" but they couldn't give a flying fig about the ordinary people they're deliberately targeting and whose lives they're making a misery in doing what they're doing.

It's like with vaccinations, they will tell you they got it because they care about protecting other people but then one message later they're discussing throwing unvaccinated people into concentration camps or at the very least blocking them from engaging fully in society as if it's 1930's Germany.

I think they're mainly just selfish children who will go to any lengths to get their own way but if they do care about others it's only those who share their own beliefs, if you oppose anything they believe in or reject anything they stand for I don't think they'd think twice about using the full force of government to punish you if they ever achieve that kind of government support.

Back
Top Bottom