Going imperial

Soldato
Sorry if posted elsewhere, but we've been talking about this at work. Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea (apart from the idiot that proposed it). Tbh it reads like a late April fools joke, unless I'm missing something. I would post a link, but not sure if one is needed.

Soldato
Boomer politics. See the "Tories lost the working age vote thread" for why we'll continue to get nonsense like this.

The worst generation in history is only interested in maintaining their wealth and thinking the country was better because of things like feet & inches, blue passports, the cane, and taking milk from kids.

Soldato
Boomer politics. See the "Tories lost the working age vote thread" for why we'll continue to get nonsense like this.

The worst generation in history is only interested in maintaining their wealth and thinking the country was better because of things like feet & inches, blue passports, the cane, and taking milk from kids.

Spotting the idiot with the massive chip on his shoulder is no challenge these days :(

Associate
Working in the construction industry this dose my head in, having to know two systems convert between them. Which has lead to some exspensive mistakes over the years.

Now we are teach kids the better metric system then let shops sell stuff using only irelavent imperial units. The avoirdupois pound and other imperial units should stay in the past where they belong.

Soldato
Right, I bet everyone in this thread gives their height in feet and inches.

It's a complete non-story, metric will continue to be used for anything remotely important and imperial for things that aren't.

Soldato
Fun fact, since the adoption of the international yard back in the 60’s the only official definition of an inch is 25.4mm - it’s quite literally just a conversion factor of metric

In most of the aviation world (always exceptions like the US) we mix and match a lot… altitude is in feet, speed in knots, distance in nautical miles, runway length/width in meters, pressure in millibars/hpa, temperatures in Celsius, fuel in litres and Kilograms etc etc.

I feel much of the UK is very similar - in normal life I’d state my height in feet, large distances in miles, speed in mph, but small distances in cm and mm and small weights in grams and kg.

To me the UK already doesn’t limit itself to the metric system… I don’t see why there’s a fuss. Metric is clearly superior when it comes to science and engineering, for everything else I couldn’t really care less!

Soldato
Fun fact, since the adoption of the international yard back in the 60’s the only official definition of an inch is 25.4mm - it’s quite literally just a conversion factor of metric

In most of the aviation world (always exceptions like the US) we mix and match a lot… altitude is in feet, speed in knots, distance in nautical miles, runway length/width in meters, pressure in millibars/hpa, temperatures in Celsius, fuel in litres and Kilograms etc etc.

I feel much of the UK is very similar - in normal life I’d state my height in feet, large distances in miles, speed in mph, but small distances in cm and mm and small weights in grams and kg.

To me the UK already doesn’t limit itself to the metric system… I don’t see why there’s a fuss. Metric is clearly superior when it comes to science and engineering, for everything else I couldn’t really care less!

I was thinking exactly the same.
Imperial and metric are both used all the time in the UK, in different areas of life. And work together fine and dandy in my eyes, can't believe its a story really.

Pint of beer or half.
2 miles to your destination.
6 foot tall.
Car does 50 mpg.
55 inch TV.
Etc.

The list is endless (well maybe not ;))

Soldato
OP
Sorry the site I'd read it on implied that there would only be imperial (rather than a mix) which seems stupid. I realise a lot of stuff is still imperial, but change for the sake of change just seems pointless.

Soldato
Its always been the case and we've never completely gone Metric. The amount of drawings I work from where something is 6.35 wide and 25.4 long.

Soldato
Don't the.US still use imperial?

Yes. Obviously people working on European and Japanese vehicles and equipment need to have some grasp of the metric system.

The Yanks even use some ancient British thread and pipe fitting sizes as well as making up some of their own such as UNC/UNF.

The French use a lot of Imperial sizes for pipes, taps and plumbing fittings. They just try to hide it by using metric looking designations.

“12-17” is 3/8” for example.

Associate
The US are metric, they just use imperial day to day with conversion factors.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SmSJXC6_qQ8

The problem here is they are going to let shops sell stuff only in imperial units. They are allowed to advertise a price in imperial units currently as long as a price is metric units in also displayed. (much to my annoyance the imperial is normal more prominent) this just seams to be a nostalgia glasses thing from the older generation and the metric martyrs who don't like change.

Back
Top Bottom