• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
https://www.techpowerup.com/286720/possible-intel-12th-gen-core-us-retail-pricing-leaked
The lineup begins with the Core i5-12600KF boxed processor at $261.77, a 6+4 core (P+E), 16-thread processor with 20 MB of L3 cache, and 4.90 GHz maximum boost frequency for the P cores. As a "KF" SKU, it lacks an iGPU. The i5-12600K, which has the same specs and an iGPU on top, is priced at $295.49.

The Core i7-12700KF and i7-12700K are 8+4 core (P+E), 20-thread chips with 25 MB of cache, and 5.00 GHz boost frequency. The two are differentiated by iGPU. The i7-12700KF is priced at $395.61, and the i7-12700K at $422.17. Leading the pack, are the Core i9-12900K and i9-12900KF, which max out the silicon, with 8+8 (P+E) core, 24-thread, and 30 MB of cache. These boost up to 5.20 GHz, but we've heard rumors of the Thermal Velocity Boost feature driving frequencies beyond this. The i9-12900KF is priced at $578.13, while the i9-12900K goes for $604.99.

Soldato
I think if Intel can get close enough to Ryzen performance and power use and slip out some special chips, that can be unlocked/have impressive overclocking headroom they could gain some traction at the enthusiast end end of the market again. If not I think Alderlake will be another sales flop. It’s simply too early for DDR5 and PCI-E5. The DIY games console market just isn’t ready for it.

I was reading some reports that point to AMD’s 6000 range being 6nm Zen3 APU’s.

Associate
There won't be one, unless Asrock defy Intel's directive.

Ah, I was going to say "I'm sure ASRock will do a DDR4/DDR5 board" as they have past form.

But at the risk of upsetting Intel? Probably not.

Although of course way back in the P4 days, those companies who upset Intel by releasing Via DDR boards instead of RAMBUS ones probably saved Intel from themselves!

Soldato
The lineup begins with the Core i5-12600KF boxed processor at $261.77, a 6+4 core (P+E), 16-thread processor with 20 MB of L3 cache, and 4.90 GHz maximum boost frequency for the P cores.

If the above is true, that will be the go to gaming chip for most people I'd think.

Associate
The relatively low prices, very high clockspeeds & mention of thermal velocity boost kind of make me suspect that these are going to be more business as usual - inefficient chips clocked within an inch of their life to edge ahead in a few gaming benchmarks, while demanding an expensive mobo with high-end VRMs, large AIOs & consuming obscene amounts of power.
But I must admit I haven't been following the rumours very closely.
Do we expect these to be actually good chips ? How about productivity/ content creation ? What will be the impact of the little cores ? Do we expect them to perform in productivity more like big cores + little cores or like big cores with little being irrelevant. Be interested to hear thoughts from those who have been following more closely.

Associate
There won't be one, unless Asrock defy Intel's directive.
Man, I remember back in the day that this was what Asrock were all about - they always had hybrid boards based on older chipsets that bridged the DDR/ DDR2 divide, then later the DDR2/ DDR3 divide.
I had a Pentium 805d on an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA - some older chipset they had jury-rigged to run the 805d - it wouldn't overclock much but was so much cheaper than other boards & DDR was so much cheaper then than DDR2 that it still made sense if you just wanted 2 cores (double the performance for CPU rendering, even if they were slightly crappy cores)

Soldato
Do we expect these to be actually good chips ? How about productivity/ content creation ? What will be the impact of the little cores ? Do we expect them to perform in productivity more like big cores + little cores or like big cores with little being irrelevant. Be interested to hear thoughts from those who have been following more closely

The 12600K with 10 cores 16 threads which should be priced around £250 is rumoured to beat the 5800X in productivity so could end up being the go to chip for most people if it also wins out in gaming.

Associate
The 12600K with 10 cores 16 threads which should be priced around £250 is rumoured to beat the 5800X in productivity so could end up being the go to chip for most people if it also wins out in gaming.
Interesting. It doesn't even need to win in both, just be good at one & acceptable at the other - I had a Ryzen 1700x that wasn't really 'good' at gaming, but it was absolutley 'good enough', while being good value for money for productivity. I maintain that reasonable power consumption will be the tell - is it actually good, or just running an excessive OC from factory, with the customer left to pick up the tab for the motherboard & cooling to keep it under control ?

Soldato
Interesting. It doesn't even need to win in both, just be good at one & acceptable at the other - I had a Ryzen 1700x that wasn't really 'good' at gaming, but it was absolutley 'good enough', while being good value for money for productivity. I maintain that reasonable power consumption will be the tell - is it actually good, or just running an excessive OC from factory, with the customer left to pick up the tab for the motherboard & cooling to keep it under control ?
Productivity wise it looks like the 12600k will demolish the equivalently priced AMD 5600X and it also beats the higher priced 5800X.
Screenshot-153.png
Screenshot-151.png

Permabanned
AMD will have to decrease the pricing of the 12C/24T Ryzen 9 5900X to the current Ryzen 5 5600X level (slash it in half), or risks very large sales losses because of lack of competitiveness.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD will have to decrease the pricing of the 12C/24T Ryzen 9 5900X to the current Ryzen 5 5600X level (slash it in half), or risks very large sales losses because of lack of competitiveness.

If Intel can ship in quantity, sort out the LGA1200 platform and it’s CPU power use then maybe. The big question is how the DDR4 - DDR5 performance split and power ise looks. The people this chip will be most relevant too are RTX owners and those people are already having thermal issues. The last thing they need is a 2-300watt CPU.

Intel will have issues moving its own 10th and 11th gen chips, possibly 9th gen too. Currently AMD seem to be out selling Intel around 9-1 and that means a lot of Intel chips sat on shelves and in warehouses costing money.

Permabanned
If Intel can ship in quantity, sort out the LGA1200 platform and it’s CPU power use then maybe. The big question is how the DDR4 - DDR5 performance split and power ise looks. The people this chip will be most relevant too are RTX owners and those people are already having thermal issues. The last thing they need is a 2-300watt CPU.

Intel will have issues moving its own 10th and 11th gen chips, possibly 9th gen too. Currently AMD seem to be out selling Intel around 9-1 and that means a lot of Intel chips sat on shelves and in warehouses costing money.

The OEM market is the opposite - AMD cannot sell that many chips.
Even its DIY chips are sold very slowly, available everywhere.

We need competition, I had said months before the Ryzen 5000 series launch, that stupid AMD must lower the prices of its chips if it wants to remain relevant for the OEMs.

Well, it hasn't done so, and it's losing market share.

Soldato
The OEM market is the opposite - AMD cannot sell that many chips.
Even its DIY chips are sold very slowly, available everywhere.

We need competition, I had said months before the Ryzen 5000 series launch, that stupid AMD must lower the prices of their chips if it wants to remain relevant for the OEMs.

Well, it hasn't done so, and it's losing market share.

AMD are just about filling it’s OEM orders. They seem to have judged manufacturing very well.

The issue for Intel is can they match this for less than £400.
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £405.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Permabanned
I don’t think so. We have some kit on back order, if we went Intel it would cost more for much less performance and come with much higher power consumption.

HP, Dell and the likes don't care about the performance or the power consumptions.
They always buy Intel's crap no matter what.

AMD can get its chips moving if it will pay those just the way Intel does.

By the way, both AMD and Intel are just usual, ordinary suppliers - they have to be more modest than they current are. Premium brands, my back...

Soldato
AMD are a long way ahead of Intel and have been for some time. I’m sure AMD will continue to grow at an increased rate to Intel, but I don’t see AMD suddenly increasing sales by dropping prices 50% when they already have better products in every part of the market.

HP, Dell and the likes don't care about the performance or the power consumptions.
They always buy Intel's crap no matter what.

AMD can get its chips moving if it will pay those just the way Intel does.

By the way, both AMD and Intel are just usual, ordinary suppliers - they have to be more modest than they current are. Premium brands, my back...

Dell care about assorts of things. Making money being the number 1.

Associate
I am confused by all the hype for Alderlake. Yes they look like they will compete. Problem i have is lots of people saying silly things like RIP AMD and Intel is back. They are not back at all, as it stands they are competing with a product that is a year old and doing so buy burning more power and creating more heat even though they have the "efficient cores". What happens a coupe months after Alderlake launches and AMD beat Alderlake will it suddenly be RIP Intel and AMD are back. They still have nothing to compete with Epyc or threadripper either so Intel have a long long way to go yet

Back
Top Bottom