Just heard what I thought were burglars breaking down my front gate...

Soldato
Having a late night on the PC and just heard loud breaking noises coming from the front garden.

Having had my mountain bike burgled from my shed about fifteen years ago by lowlife scumbags busting through the front gate, naturally at 3.30 in the morning thought it might be happening again.

Went downstairs, opened my door and went to confront the suspected burglar(s), and of course. got ready to adopt the famed OCUK boxing stance and preparing to stand and bang.

Went towards the commotion and two large ****** badgers did a runner from my gate.

They'd knocked out a plank next to the gate, FFS.

WTF :mad:

Commissario
If the badger has damaged the fence you might as well put a hinge on that plank:)

In my experience once a badger has decided it wants to go somewhere, it will go there and there isn't much you can do:)
It took me years to work out why one part of our back fence was always being damaged, and why every time I reinforced it there would be damage a little further along within a couple of months.

Then I went to go out to the garage one night at about 2am (I think I needed a bulb or something), and nearly stepped in a badger. I'm still not sure who was more surprised and frightened as the next few seconds were very much a blur after the initial moment of utter shock before I hastily moved one way and the badger went crashing off down the garden.

One thing I have noticed is that for some reason badgers don't seem to trigger PIR's easily, unlike dogs/cats of similar or smaller sizes as after that I started to take note of the back patio more at night and realised there was a family of them that would head through several nights a week, but they very rarely triggered the PIR even in positions where our dog would set it off every time.
All I can think is that it's because they're lower to the ground, I noticed the same thing with our rear camera, the badger won't set it it's motion detection off until it's halfway down the drive, a cat less than half the size will set it off at times from twice the distance.

Soldato
Stealth badgers.

Seriously, you’re most likely correct that a bog standard PIR doesn’t have the resolution to detect something that blends into the “ground clutter”. When I’ve put out my trailcam to see what’s moving around in our woods, I’ve found that badgers remain faint/fuzzy until they’re really close to the IR illumination of the trailcam, so it’s possible that their pelts do absorb more IR than those of other critters.

Soldato
We've got a number of badgers here, unfortunately they are going to be relocated because they are digging up the graveyard in the nearby church. It's a shame as I love seeing them on my Ring cameras.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Good job it was the back gate and not the front door, else they’d have pooed in your letterbox :eek:

Back
Top Bottom