• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading from RTX 3070 FE to an MSI RTX 3070 TI (apparently £529, but 0 stock)?

Caporegime
I've found a reputable website a RTX 3070 TI on a 'order on request' basis. I wonder if this in practice means a long preorder que?

I wouldn't bother. You will likely be waiting for months and months or just never get it.

Only realistic chance you have is sign up to part alert telegrams/discords etc/set up alerts for hotukdeals and just pounce on one when in stock.

Nabbing any GPU at RRP is rather tricky at the moment!

Soldato
OP
I don't think Nvidia can squeeze anymore performance out of Samsung's 8nm fab. process (look at the power consumption of the 3080 TI and 3090) As far as we know, 5nm EUV isn't ready for use in graphics cards yet. Also, Nvidia is still easily beating AMD on sales, due to AMD struggling to produce RDNA2 cards in large volumes.

So, I think a Super / 3000 series refresh is unlikely to happen this year, AMD would need to bring the pain first. Also, all current generation GPUs are selling extremely easily, basically without any effort from AMD/Nvidia. If anything, I think the main priority for both is boosting production capacity.

Maybe there will be a RTX 3090 Super (a modest improvement, could easily be called a TI), but I think Nvidia would really be scraping the barrel, it would probably run sh** hot and need a mega cooler.

Actually, I think the RTX 3070 TI shows what can currently be achieved, at a reasonable (nominal) TDP of 290w, which will work with most half decent power supplies. I'd expect a RTX 4000 equivalent to be around 30-40% faster (due to 5nm EUV fab. process and some design improvements), at a similar TDP, with more VRAM.

RDNA2 GPUs have a small advantage on power efficiency, but I think this gap will narrow in 2022.

Last edited:
Soldato
The sooner they go back to TSMC the better There is to much variability in the Samsung Silicon.
I don't know, Ampere has been Nvidia's best and most successful product launch with record revenues and profits to match. As the saying goes don't feel it if it's not broken. I can see Nvidia sticking with Samsung for it's future consumer products for the foreseeable future.

Soldato
OP
Unbelievable. Makes me want to try and snap up another 3080 Fe just to literally double my money.

Bonkers.
Can you even get another one though? It's like winning the lottery without using a bot, unless you have some method I'm unaware of.

Also, unless they have loosened the rules regarding buying multiple FE graphics cards, buying another one is gonna be difficult, unless you know someone who is willing to buy it for you using their card, address etc.

I'm actually quite worried about the 2nd hand prices for the RTX 3070 FE at CEX, the number of these GPUs must be abysmal. Assuming this is true, the RTX 3070 TI uses GDDR6X VRAM, and is probably in even shorter supply, especially the FE version.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is it possible to make a new account on the FE retailer website + use a different internet connection such as a 4G/5G phone? Then input a different address (say a friends house etc) to deliver it to?

Presumably you would need a different payment method also?

I'd guess it would just be easier to get them to buy it for you, assuming all this is true, but easier said than done, given that RTX 3080 FE stock can be gone in seconds.

Soldato
I'm a genuine gamer trying desperately to get hold of an FE card so I can actually play some games. No wonder they're difficult to get hold of if people ABUSE the "one card per customer rule" to sell for profit :(

Back
Top Bottom