TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
So instead of letting them in and proving you didn’t need a TV Licence like you did online you threw it back in their face and was rude?

If you had nothing to hide it would have been far more easier and polite to show them you didn’t need one.

I had an argument with someone at work where I used to work and proved just because you had a tv that didn’t mean you need a TV licence.

They grassed me up because they assumed everyone needed one because they had a TV. Proved them wrong didn’t I. Got a letter saying they have reasons they believe I needed one. Someone come to door I let them in, within 5 mins boom. Was proven I didn’t need one. All I had to do was turn on my TV go to the arial channels and no feed come up on every channel. Felt good.

One TV had no arial, the other TV was attached to a console just to play games.

cool so you let some random stranger into your house to case the joint?

Personally I don’t go for letting random people do a tour for no reason.

It’s my home protected by law and cultural norm.

There’s nothing wrong with saying “no” and closing the door to what is quite literally a salesman from a private company

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
cool so you let some random stranger into your house to case the joint?

Badge was shown, no problem at all. You come across random people every single day.

There’s nothing wrong with saying “no” and closing the door to what is quite literally a salesman from a private company

Sales people are different, they are there to sell you something not check you are abiding by the law. No different to causing trouble and having police called on you.

Associate
Badge was shown, no problem at all. You come across random people every single day.

Sales people are different, they are there to sell you something not check you are abiding by the law. No different to causing trouble and having police called on you.

In general criminal psychology, people that are not guilty are not going to be happy with being accused / searched / arrested etc, and will more often than not get loud and protest.

Most people that do not need a T.V license are not going to happy with the BBC's intimidation tactics at all, and are not going to simply let them walk into their house if they aren't doing anything wrong. They may even start shouting and swearing. Or they may google search for the law on such things and realize that if they tell the BBC to eff off and never bother them again, then they are legally required to do so.

It really is that simple.

Associate

Why would a BBC license stalker have a badge? They only have it to try and look more threatening so gullible people let them in. Even the police aren't allowed to enter a building without an actual warrant or permission.

Also a person that has no TV / doesn't watch live TV is causing trouble how? This is actually more akin to simply calling the police because you a black person and think they're gonna rob you cos they're black, despite them not doing anything wrong at all.

Soldato
Any such evidence would immediately be proven false, enough justification for a claim.
Doesn't work that way. The police can enter your home, with a warrant (and sometimes without), and you'll be entitled to nothing, unless certain requirements are met, for example they lied to get the warrant. Even if what they were looking for wasn't on the property, it doesn't invalidate the warrant.

When it comes to TV Licensing, the police won't do anything though, they only show up to keep the peace.

Never heard of a court issuing a warrant. ever.
Courts have issued warrants on suspicion that people are watching broadcasts without a licence. There's a few videos on Youtube.

"TV Licensing Inspectors" are sales people. They are ordinary civilians that work for a private company, and get paid commission for selling the TV licence or for prosecutions. You shouldn't let them in your house.

Last edited:
Soldato

The TV Inspectors are sales people they even have sales targets and a sales bonus. The problem with letting them in is some of them are known to lie, make up fake evidence and/or bully/trick people into getting a license to increase there own sales numbers. A lot of it depends what area you are in, for some areas the "inspectors" use intimidation tactics. If you live in a poor area or are a single mum they tend to be a lot more aggressive.

Associate
Seriously? :cry:

Honestly I wanted them to come after me and was trying to goad them for fun, but they won't.

I remember when I lived in student accommodation being unfortunate to have to share accommodation with film and TV students.

They made me pay towards the license even though I told them I don't watch TV.

If I was in the same situation today, I wouldn't pay at all and simply switch the TV off any time I was in the lounge if they had a problem with it.

Man of Honour
I did the "I don't need a TV licence" declaration again tonight and, unsuprisingly, was forced to pick a reason from a list which did not contain an accurate description of why I don't need a TV licence.

The closest two were "I only use a TV for playing games" and "I don't have any TV receiving equipment". Neither of which is true. I don't have a TV at all, but since my PC can connect to the internet it can receive TV. So I chose "only use a TV for playing games". I use a monitor for playing games, not a TV, but I thought that option was the least incorrect one.

Now I'm second-guessing my choice.

Back
Top Bottom