• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New CPU

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi,

I've got to get an entirely new rig as my Computer is over 10 years old now and things like photo editing processing are becoming a chore, currently running Topaz De Noise which is taking forever (it's an i7 930 chip on an X58A Motherboard with 6GB RAM)

I do mostly photo and video editing: Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere. I'm not a gamer these days.

So for photo and video editing what CPU would you recommend, Intel or AMD and which processor? Budget wise I'd be looking at up to £400 but don't really want to spend over that.

Thanks for any advice!

Associate
Photo editing apps will be faster on Ryzen 5000 with its single core speed. 5600X or 5800X would be fine. Currently Adobe apps perform better on Ryzen 5000 than Intel CPUs. 5800X is well under £400 at the moment and the motherboards have good prices.

Dare I say it Alder Lake is coming soon and probably be faster in Adobe. But that's brand new platform we won't get independent reviews for a while yet.

Soldato
Hi,

I've got to get an entirely new rig as my Computer is over 10 years old now and things like photo editing processing are becoming a chore, currently running Topaz De Noise which is taking forever (it's an i7 930 chip on an X58A Motherboard with 6GB RAM)

I do mostly photo and video editing: Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere. I'm not a gamer these days.

So for photo and video editing what CPU would you recommend, Intel or AMD and which processor? Budget wise I'd be looking at up to £400 but don't really want to spend over that.

Thanks for any advice!

you could do what i did for a relatives pc, slap in a 15 quid xeon X5670 and get 6 core 12 thread cpu on dirt cheap. will tide him over for a long time. you may be able to find even high model xeons for cheapo. X5680 is the top one usually go for under 40 quid.

Soldato
Frankly, whatever you do, I'd wait a month, intel will launch their new shiny, and we'll know if it is as good as leaks suggest, and it'll cause a decrease in AMD pricing, so you can choose whichever then, and enjoy a price reduction.

Soldato
I’m not sure if China will “do over” Taiwan, but I think CPU demand will increase. I think we’ll see a window of reasonably priced chips followed by increased pricing.

Back
Top Bottom