BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Indeed. Who knows the truth, I certainly don’t. But I can imagine and have experienced situations where the owner has made up how they were innocent and told a tall tale of injustice to try and lose the reputation that they were buying stolen goods and are complicit in that horrendous activity.

indeed when I was younger my mate claimed the cops had unfairly seized his car as they thought it had being used in a robbery. They ended up keeping it for 6 months and he had to buy another car. He claimed the cops knew it wasnt the car used in the robbery but wouldnt give it back to him. Claimed he got a solicitor involved and successfully sued them for £10k. None of us believed him but he stuck to the story.

Soldato
BMW Insured Warranty question, regarding the policy booklet condition that:
regularly service it in
accordance with the manufacturer’s
recommendations and genuine parts, or
parts of equivalent specification must be
used
what does this mean for consumables like brake pads/discs where my understanding is that all brakes on sale need to conform to a minimum standard to be on sale at all? Would I need to stipulate a certain brand was used if I went to an independent? Is it unlikely to affect the warranty anyway as the brake pads/discs can't be claimed against in the warranty, so buying non-OE brakes would have no bearing on any claim in the future?
[/Stupid question]

Caporegime
what does this mean for consumables like brake pads/discs where my understanding is that all brakes on sale need to conform to a minimum standard to be on sale at all? Would I need to stipulate a certain brand was used if I went to an independent? Is it unlikely to affect the warranty anyway as the brake pads/discs can't be claimed against in the warranty, so buying non-OE brakes would have no bearing on any claim in the future?
[/Stupid question]

Every pad and disc may well past minimum UK standards but clearly specifications vary. Ceramic brakes are going to be better performing than your £30 bargain basement motor factors discs and pads. I suppose just like the do with the tyres, expect you to put a certain quality on the car. I know for my bosses SQ8 which was being serviced in house in our garage there was a choice of brakes pads from £28 to £169. Audi's were something even more ridiculous above that. They will be expecting you to put ones towards the top end compared with the £28 ones IMO.

If in doubt its normally dead easy to find which brand the pads/discs are and buy then much cheaper than BMW will charge you for. You then have no argument.

Soldato
indeed when I was younger my mate claimed the cops had unfairly seized his car as they thought it had being used in a robbery. They ended up keeping it for 6 months and he had to buy another car. He claimed the cops knew it wasnt the car used in the robbery but wouldnt give it back to him. Claimed he got a solicitor involved and successfully sued them for £10k. None of us believed him but he stuck to the story.
That sounds like he had a crash but came up with a cover story.

Soldato
I had a message from a very excitable salesman yesterday day simply saying they had some great news for me! Ask to call them back for further details.

I assume they're desperate to get my 140 in the used car stock. I'm still happy with it, so they would have to offer me something ridiculous for me to swap out of it.

WBAC are offering £27k for it!

Man of Honour
I had a message from a very excitable salesman yesterday day simply saying they had some great news for me! Ask to call them back for further details.

I assume they're desperate to get my 140 in the used car stock. I'm still happy with it, so they would have to offer me something ridiculous for me to swap out of it.

WBAC are offering £27k for it!

Best part of 30 grand for a second hand 1 Series? Worth hearing them out.

Soldato
I keep getting emails every week saying it's gone up in price, and it's usually about £500 each time.

It's pretty much mint (apart from the odd chips marks hear and there). 19 plate, 13,000 miles, most desirable spec.

I've got £20k outstanding. Not sure what the best move is given the current second hand market. Seems like a good time to take advantage if I knew how.......

Associate
I keep getting emails every week saying it's gone up in price, and it's usually about £500 each time.

It's pretty much mint (apart from the odd chips marks hear and there). 19 plate, 13,000 miles, most desirable spec.

I've got £20k outstanding. Not sure what the best move is given the current second hand market. Seems like a good time to take advantage if I knew how.......

If you can get away with driving just about anything and want to clear off the debt, sell it off, pay off the remaining balance, get yourself a showpiece (banger) and use that until things calm down. That or just hold onto it if you can afford it and you like the car.

Soldato
Soldato
Has anyone here retrofitted AppleCarPlay to an E9x? I've seen units for around £300 which on the face of it seem good, a quick skim of few forums seems to show positive feedback.

It would be a nicety rather than necessity as I intend to keep this car a few more years and besides a now rather dated (11 year old) media system boxes are still ticked.

Thanks.

Soldato
Anyone know if idrive will show an orange service if you go past the mileage countdown? I have a service booked for the 4th but want to go on an unplanned roadtrip which would likely take me past the mileage countdown.

We're talking hundreds of miles. Nothing crazy.

Soldato
[/Stupid question]

This is my understanding.

What you would find is that for any associated claims, sticking calipers, ABS sensors, juddering during braking etc and trivial brake claims that could be attributed to non-OE parts would likely be refused/rejected.

It wouldn't invalidate your entire warranty. Suspension, gearbox, engine etc would not be affected by non-OE brake discs/pads (you could argue ABS sensors and sticking calipers wouldn't either tbh!) and would still be covered.

Someone please correct me if required.

Associate
Has anyone here retrofitted AppleCarPlay to an E9x? I've seen units for around £300 which on the face of it seem good, a quick skim of few forums seems to show positive feedback.

It would be a nicety rather than necessity as I intend to keep this car a few more years and besides a now rather dated (11 year old) media system boxes are still ticked.

Thanks.

I assume you already have idrive? I added a MMI box to my E93 and it works very well and pleased with it. Think I only paid £175 for it, but the site I got it from no longer exists!

Relatively easy to fit, quite hard to get all the cables back down and out of the way for the original head unit to go all the way back in, but got there.

Boots up into CarPlay automatically and is wireless too so handy. Needs an occasional reset by holding Back but not very often.

Soldato
[/Stupid question]

Easiest option is buy the OE parts from a dealer who offer discounts. Look on eBay generally get them 50-60% off brings them roughly inline with non genuine parts.

Soldato
I assume you already have idrive? I added a MMI box to my E93 and it works very well and pleased with it. Think I only paid £175 for it, but the site I got it from no longer exists!

Relatively easy to fit, quite hard to get all the cables back down and out of the way for the original head unit to go all the way back in, but got there.

Boots up into CarPlay automatically and is wireless too so handy. Needs an occasional reset by holding Back but not very often.

Yep, I already have CIC iDrive. (2010 E92 335i)

Adding an MMI box seems like a cheaper option too. I’ll look in to this.

Soldato
I think I’m going to bite the bullet and just get a £32k M4. Predictions for the price crash are 6-12 months, so stuff it.

The used approved in this price range are almost all bottom of the barrel spec wise, or recession white, or recession white and 0 options.

There’s one or two out there that aren’t, but they are missing HUD.

My 2 must have’s from talking to people are HK and HUD, but I’m rethinking needing HUD as the M4 I drove locally had it turned off and I didn’t notice until after that I didn’t notice it.

Is HUD vital?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I think I’m going to bite the bullet and just get a £32k M4. Predictions for the price crash are 6-12 months, so stuff it.

The used approved in this price range are almost all bottom of the barrel spec wise, or recession white, or recession white and 0 options.

There’s one or two out there that aren’t, but they are missing HUD.

My 2 must have’s from talking to people are HK and HUD, but I’m rethinking needing HUD as the M4 I drove locally had it turned off and I didn’t notice until after that I didn’t notice it.

Is HUD vital?
Honestly, I'd go for it if you can find one. As above, once you have it, you'd probably be annoyed not to have it again..

Back
Top Bottom