Difference between Corsair RM850 & RM850x?

Associate
Soldato
It’s down to the quality of the capacitors from what I can remember when I looked in to it. The x variant uses higher quality Japanese capacitors, the non x variant probably uses Chinese made capacitors.

I owned an x before and it’s a superb PSU. Given the current price difference and the fact that they are both backed up by a ten year warranty I would probably opt for the cheaper one - seems like a decent saving to be made.

Soldato
Depending on the price difference at the time it may or may not be worth it.
I went with the standard RM.. They both have ten year warranties.

I'm totally happy with the RM.. It's quiet and the fan doesn't spin unless it's over 30% load or something.

The RMx is of course slightly technically better but really it all comes down to the price differences at the time of purchase as to whether you think its worth the extra.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know the difference between these two models? They are both gold rated both come with a 10 year warranty and I’m not seeing the difference in specs to warrant the price increase of the RM850x.

I was about to buy the 850 but wonder if I’m missing something with the 850x?

RM850 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020196-uk-ca-24t-cs.html

RM850x - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ca-267-cs.html

thanks

Probably the internal components differ somewhat. A review would show any difference

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127-6.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-2021-power-supply-review/6

According to those tomshardware reviews, the 850 has 2.53% lower performance than the 850x, it uses Chinese capacitors instead of Japanese capacitors and it has a noisier fan than the 850x

Soldato
Noisier in relative terms though.. I don't think I've ever heard my RM. When it does spin up it's certainly drowned out by the GPU lol

Soldato
I went for a 750w and it was literally a coin toss between the corsair RM and the seasonic GX.. . There's really nothing in it, unless prices fluctuate in which case just get whatever is cheaper at the time.
That would be my advice anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
According to those tomshardware reviews, the 850 has 2.53% lower performance than the 850x, it uses Chinese capacitors instead of Japanese capacitors and it has a noisier fan than the 850x

Chinese caps are absolutely fine. People get hung up on them but it was only a problem years ago when there was an issue. Now, Japanese caps are just far more expensive for a small improvement.

No way would I pay an extra £40 for the RMX.

Man of Honour
The 2021 RMx has ribbon cables for sata/molex, the rest are sleeved (not individually). They are horrible cables, bulky as hell due to the caps in them and very stiff so you can't get anything like a tight bend in them. The worst cables I have ever had with a psu which is why I am using extensions on them. Corsair are too tight fisted to even supply a decent bag for the psu and cables. My psu itself was in a sealed clear plastic bag and the cables were in another clear sealed plastic bag which has to be cost cutting because the pre 2021 unit came in a nice fabric bag with another for the cables. It didn't even come with Nvidia 12 pin cables which is strange for a 2021 revision.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 2021 RMx has ribbon cables for sata/molex, the rest are sleeved (not individually). They are horrible cables, bulky as hell due to the caps in them and very stiff so you can't get anything like a tight bend in them. The worst cables I have ever had with a psu which is why I am using extensions on them. Corsair are too tight fisted to even supply a decent bag for the psu and cables. My psu itself was in a sealed clear plastic bag and the cables were in another clear sealed plastic bag which has to be cost cutting because the pre 2021 unit came in a nice fabric bag with another for the cables. It didn't even come with Nvidia 12 pin cables which is strange for a 2021 revision.

It arrived today, cables were in fabric bag :p

They are as you say though flat and not individually sleeved. Looks like I need to order a set of their pro-replacement cables, joy.

Which I think are these;

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...-PSU-Cables-Pro-Kit-Type-4-Gen-4/p/CP-8920224

Im going to wait to see which ones I need though as my case is massive and a lot of the stuff is going on in a compartment behind the MB tray so I might only actually need the MB cable and whatever goes to this new 3080TI I've got, although that has an NV extension cable that's black so that's going to look pants anyway (white case and Cables)

Last edited:
Soldato
@LOAM I am going to contact Corsair then and see if I can blag a fabric bag for the psu and cables. Did you get a 12 pin FE cable with yours? You could use extensions if you have the space to hide them which will work out much cheaper than a cable set.

There's a 12 pin cable that came with the GPU, is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom