Green board rather than plasterboard - what is this?

Soldato
Hi all, does anyone know what this green board in my ceiling is? It's got 2(!)layers of anaglypta textured wallpaper on it. It's a 1940s build house and the wallpaper and ceiling will be at least 20+ years old.

Can it be skim coat plastered straight onto it? Would it need reboarded/over boarded?

Fortunately 2 other downstairs rooms which I have removed wallpaper from are just have standard plasterboard rather than this.. I'm open to pulling the ceiling off downstairs but hopefully I don't have the same upstairs!

As far as I'm aware this is less likely to be moisture resistant plasterboard?

Picture - this is a part underneath a closet by the stairs but the same applies for all the downstairs hallway ceiling i believe.

we6ub6T.jpeg

Soldato
OP
‘Asbestos’.

Is this just a joke post? Best to keep to GD

original painted board ?
Don't think it's been painted!

Board on top then skin if in doubt.

Rather than overboard id probably just pull/take the board off(saves me a couple mm and the finishing will look better.)

Yep just normal board don’t worry about it

I hope so! I want to have an idea to work out wether it's worth the effort taking off this horrendous wallpaper

Soldato
Is this just a joke post? Best to keep to GD

Depends if you consider asbestos a joke or not?

You’re asking about a 1940s house with ceiling at least 20years old and you’re peeling the layers and have found a substance you does t know what it is.

Are you saying there is categorically no way it could be asbestos?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Depends if you consider asbestos a joke or not?

You’re asking about a 1940s house with ceiling at least 20years old and you’re peeling the layers and have found a substance you does t know what it is.

Are you saying there is categorically no way it could be asbestos?

What is your basis though? A blanket post of 'asbestos' is useless.

Also if it was just 2000s ceiling it would not be asbestos board :cry:

Soldato
OP
who said it was 2000’s ceiling?

your op says 1940’s house and ceiling at least 20 yrs.
Do you still have any basis for it being asbestos? I.e. Was it common in plasterboard are you making pure guesswork?

If it were the original 1940s ceiling I'd be expecting to see lathe and plaster ceilings which I have not as of yet.

Associate
I googled Green plasterboard and found out.

Gypsum plasterboard with moisture resistant additives in the core and special green lining paper for easy recognition. ... Recommended for use in intermittent moisture applications where additional performance is required such as in kitchen and bathroom walls and ceiling installations.

Maybe they used it in the hallway as that is what they had on hand.

Soldato
OP
Maybe there used to be a boiler cylinder on the other side so they decided to use moisture resistant?
That is true! the cylinder is above this section of green plasterboard and adjacent it.

That would be a fairly forward thinking reason to use moisture resistant board. Is that fairly standard practice?

Most things in my house have been bodged :cry: so never anticipate anything thought through.

Soldato
Asbestos isn’t green.

i dont know anything about this... but the main component may well be sandwiched between "something" to keep it together and enable easy painting.. like normal plasterboard.. what you look at is not plaster is some paper stuff...

again i have no clue just an observation

Soldato
This is crap and very dangerous advice. Don't listen to this.
ACMs can come in any colour.
ACM’s can yes…….

asbestos however isn’t green. It’s factually correct. Calm down love.

Better safe than sorry of course - as a surveyor I find asbestos in many places and 99% of the time it’s best left well alone.

in this case, it would be unusual to say the least for that to be asbestos. The green appears to be the type of board or lining - not an ACM.

but who knows - nobody does for sure without a test so if you are ever unsure, get one done. Let’s not get our knickers in a twist about it.

Back
Top Bottom