*** Official September 14th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
I'm more impressed that FaceID recognises me at 3am when I wake up in the pitch black, hair and beard askew, comedic look on my face due to the light of the phone blinding me and somehow it recognises my ugly mug.

Soldato
I'm more impressed that FaceID recognises me at 3am when I wake up in the pitch black, hair and beard askew, comedic look on my face due to the light of the phone blinding me and somehow it recognises my ugly mug.
Me too.
I often wake up in the night and watch some YouTube to send me back to sleep, or read this form :p
FaceID unlock works everytime, even though it’s pitch dark and I’m squinting through being blinded by the light :cry:

Soldato
And more memory. And better GPU. And stainless steel instead of aluminium.

And where did £300 come from?! The Pro is £170 more.
Continuing this comparison.
I found this compare list on Mac Rumours helpful to understand the 13 vs 13 Pro differences.

51491357928_2335f54e95_b.jpg

Soldato
Continuing this comparison.
I found this compare list on Mac Rumours helpful to understand the 13 vs 13 Pro differences.

Personally I think the regular 13 is a false economy. The Pro is, at most, 21% more. Put another way, you save at most 17% by getting the 13 instead of the 13 Pro which just doesn't feel worth it to me.

I've made the same argument repeatedly about the iPad Air. The 64GB model likely won't be enough but the next one up is 256GB and, at that point, the equivalent iPad Pro is only 16% more.

Of course Apple marketing does this deliberately so we'll think exactly this and go "may as well get the better model" but that doesn't make it untrue.

Commissario
Of course Apple marketing does this deliberately so we'll think exactly this and go "may as well get the better model" but that doesn't make it untrue.
The new AppleTV did exactly this. Nobody ever bought the one with larger memory before but they made the price difference just £20 this time so the majority of people went for that version. They know what they're doing :)

Associate
It’s a bit more than that, in addition to your list:
The Pro’s have bigger improvements on 3 camera lenses over the standard 13, ProRes video which is the photo portrait mode selective focus for video, a larger battery ….and an effective £50 price drop over last years 12 Pro.

The iPhone 13 actually has a larger battery than the 13 Pro. Presumably the ProMotion screen power saving benefits offset this.

iPhone 13 Mini 9.34Wh
iPhone 13 12.41Wh
iPhone 13 Pro 11.97Wh
iPhone 13 Pro Max 16.75Wh

Soldato
Doesn't work when your hands are wet.
Wipe your hand? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doesn't work when your hands are cold because they're all pruned and wrinkly.
Can't say i've had that with any finger print reader (including optical) i've used but i guess some people have wrinklier skin than others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doesn't work when you're sweaty (see the first point).
See first answer.

Doesn't work when you're wearing gloves.
Doesn't work if you get a cut on your finger (been there, done that. Luckily I'd registered extra fingers).
Sure, although i've manage to unlock using nitrol gloves whilst oil changing and as you said yourself, register another finger (on the other hand ideally) for backup in case of accidents.

I found TouchID to be far, far less reliable than FaceID.
Until it comes to a user wearing a mask, which is the biggest issue i have with Face ID/face rec. as it's now common to be wearing one.

With an Apple Watch...
Not everyone has an Apple Watch but you already know this so.....

Apple re-implementing Touch ID, either under screen or built into the power button, isn't a step backwards; it gives the consumer a choice and that isn't a bad thing, regardless of how much of a "fanboi" you are :cry:

Edit - Just to add, Touch ID and Face ID are both implemented on other Apple devices, so clearly Apple don't believe it's a "step back" otherwise they'll would have eliminated Touch ID completely (like they did with various ports).

Last edited:
Associate
I don't miss Touch ID one little bit.

I didn't miss it at all either.. until the need to wear masks arrived! I know you can get around this with an Apple Watch, however I'm disappointed that Apple didn't include Touch ID on the iPhone 13.

Perhaps we will get the rumoured under display sensor next year.

Back
Top Bottom