What happened to all the vdsl modem (wifi) routers?

Associate
Back in the day - circa 2019 - all the big vendors provided a range of (v)dsl modem routers, Asus, TP-Link, Netgear, etc.
Low end options, mid-range options, high-end options, new ranges replacing old ranges, endless choice.
n.b. MODEM router, not just Wifi router.

What the hell happened?

My 'old' TP-Link 2800 has become unreliable, so I find myself looking for a new vdsl modem router.
Given i hope for it to last a number of years ideally i'd like strong WIFI6 performance and 2.5GB wired network ports, and i'd be willing to pay some decent money to get one...

...only there's sod all to choose from!

Netgear don't even list "modem" router as a category.
TP-Link rather deceptively say "compatible with all DSL providers" skirting around the fact that you need a separate vdsl modem.
Asus have one (ONE!) high-end product that is both a WIFI6 and dsl modem router:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking-IoT-Servers/Modem-Routers/All-series/DSL-AX82U/

Why has this market died?
And is this Asus router even a fibre-to-the-cabinet DSL router? Specs seem a little vague, just mentions "dsl"...

Cheers

Soldato
The world has moved on. ADSL and VDSL were big technologies but as the world moves away from FTTC to FTTP routers with modems built-in will become scarcer and scarcer.

Do yourself a HUGE favour and get a used Huawei or ECI modem from eBay. £15-£25 will get you one and you can then use any router you like.

You can pay quite a lot more (£90-ish) for a Draytek Vigor 130 modem if you want a new, branded, modem but the ECI and Huawei units are really decent performers.

Soldato
Agreed, just grab an Openreach modem cheap from the bay - then you can buy any router you want on the market and not feel limited. Also means if you get full FTTP in the future, no need to shop about again.

i did this at my old house years ago and it was solid. Swapping routers was a doddle as the OR HG612 modem I could leave in situ.

Back
Top Bottom