Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Caporegime
Honestly wish I had an IMAX. I dunno if there's even one in Sweden.....

Midnight's edge has a small piece up on the film, no spoilers, and I totally share his opinions on how it's hard to digest the film, especially when you have so much to compare it to.

I knew there was a reason to move to Sweden .... It only took 7 years. That is Prescience right there :p my golden path.

Honestly they are all great films/series in their own ways.

Not somewhere I've been but for some reason I've always had a soft spot for the northern European countries. For the the most part, they seem to have their approach to life better balanced than other places.

Soldato
I'm seeing some reports that only some scenes are imax ratio? It's a bit confusing as they're saying it was all shot on imax cameras.

I love the big screen experience but honestly I don't get on with imax. I prefer a wider ratio and think the screens are just too big. I don't want to be looking at one side of the screen and miss things on the other side because it's out of my peripheral vision. I think mainly its just a marketing gimmick. Give me a 4k, Dolby vision projection at 2.35 any day.

Associate
I finished reading Dune about 2 years ago and it's still one of my favourite books.
So i'm really hesitant about seeing the film, even though i really want to.
i guess i'm hesitant about the movie overwriting parts that i've conjured up myself.

Caporegime
I think this version does most justice to the book as to creating a physical universe. It's mostly loyal to the book too. Guess I'll be waiting till October to say more.

But I grew up with the lynch version and I always see and hear the audiobooks as those characters.

I'm 0ne of the only people I know that also loves the miniseries. Some of those character takes are really good and the costumes comically cheap but really style well.

Caporegime
Is it 3D IMAX or 2D? I hate 3D.

I honestly do not know anything about IMAX im sure someone with better knowledge can answer that.
As far as i know there is nothing 3D about the film. Its more to do with how much foreground and sky is in the shot.
There are several videos on YouTube comparing how much extra is visible.
I hope the Blu-ray release has screen ratio options.

Soldato
I'm seeing some reports that only some scenes are imax ratio? It's a bit confusing as they're saying it was all shot on imax cameras.

it's not imax 70mm film like Dunkirk, but digital 4K, so unless it's an IMAX laser cinema (per last page) might be better a dolby cinema with lasers, shown at IMAX aspect ratio,
where should be just as good/better for image quality; eg. imax-with-laser-superb-contrast-4k-resolution

like for tv screen size I dont want a massive screen unless the quality contrast/brightness is good.

Back
Top Bottom