Advice on a rainproof sunshade for a problematic pergola

Associate
I have a pergola now. Look at me. With my pergola.

The problem is that it has no top. And it's flush against the wall on one side and another side is the end of the balcony which makes most sun sails fairly off limits because
a) I'd have to place it flush along the wall on one side and
b) even if I did that the sides bow in so I'd get rain water on the seat.

I made a video not explaining the problem very well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfa6ti0zht6yvyc/IMG_5397.MOV?dl=0

Do you have any ideas? I found one place but it seems like their "shade" is 950gsm pvc which, I suspect, is more like a blackout blind than a sunshade.

I don't really know what to do. Here is a picture.

jdbRZsz.jpg

And here's what a sun shade would look like.

wAPnECd.jpg

I don't think I want one that concertinas but I'd be up for one that comes out mechanically. Mostly I want to be dry and not have the beating sun on me.

Video to follow shortly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Buy a larger sized sun shade and a staple gun, put the material on the top, starting at the back edge beam top and staple your way forward.

I OWN A STAPLE GUN. But isn't the curve on the sun shade part of the fabric? I.e would I be able to actually staple it flush?

Any idea how I'd get it to be angled to get rid of the rain water?

Caporegime
You need to buy a larger rectangular one or just some waterproof fabric and make it as tight as possible, the roof looks sloped anyway.

Not an idea solution but without spending more money none will be.

Associate
That's why I haven't got a pergola. Why, in the UK, would you create a large structure that doesn't protect you from the sun on the good days or from rain on all the other days? Really the only thing that would do what you want would be a poly-carbonate I think. Either the corrugated type of sheets that are sold with some gazebos to protect from sun and rain. The angle could be relatively shallow to allow rain run off.

Some examples here: https://www.varicoltd.com/polycarbonate.html

Associate
OP
That's why I haven't got a pergola. Why, in the UK, would you create a large structure that doesn't protect you from the sun on the good days or from rain on all the other days? Really the only thing that would do what you want would be a poly-carbonate I think. Either the corrugated type of sheets that are sold with some gazebos to protect from sun and rain. The angle could be relatively shallow to allow rain run off.

Some examples here: https://www.varicoltd.com/polycarbonate.html
Damn. I don't want a hard roof.
I'm sure there's something that's soft and waterproof, no?

Soldato
Oh man please keep this content coming.

Is your house an actual legal dwelling? With the painted exposed brick, 6" thick floorboards, and now this roof-top setting, it looks like you live in the lift plant room of a high rise?

Associate
OP
Oh man please keep this content coming.

Is your house an actual legal dwelling? With the painted exposed brick, 6" thick floorboards, and now this roof-top setting, it looks like you live in the lift plant room of a high rise?
Define "legal"

It's an old building. God knows what has happened here.

I think that I'm erring on the side of having a sun sail and then a separate thing that comes over for the rain. The problem now is that the ones I find are all shop awnings and, you know, they often say "rain resistant" or - even worse - "will withstand the odd rain shower."

Anyway. All I really want is a rain cover that goes above the pergola (somehow) and comes out when it rains. Probably motorised. With HomeKit compatibility. For not much money.

Soldato
Damn. I don't want a hard roof.
I'm sure there's something that's soft and waterproof, no?

I think the problem you'll see with a soft material is that unless it's at an obvious angle for run off, a small angle is likely to not be enough for run-off and will just result in pooling in the middle. Then with too much rain it'll sag in the middle and then split. Also how high up are you? You may find the wind could do a bit of damage to softer materials.

I guess in one way it's a shame to cover it all as if you get a bit of sun it'll be quite nice out. But versus creating a shade, or weatherproofing it from wind/rain. You need to decide how much you want to cover.

Associate
OP
I think the problem you'll see with a soft material is that unless it's at an obvious angle for run off, a small angle is likely to not be enough for run-off and will just result in pooling in the middle. Then with too much rain it'll sag in the middle and then split. Also how high up are you? You may find the wind could do a bit of damage to softer materials.

I guess in one way it's a shame to cover it all as if you get a bit of sun it'll be quite nice out. But versus creating a shade, or weatherproofing it from wind/rain. You need to decide how much you want to cover.

That’s why I figured a sun sail and then something above that too that only comes downs when it’s raining. I’m a bit lost.

Associate
What about a retractable side awning. They are meant to stand vertical but I can't see why you can't use it horizontal with a bit of modding.

They pull out of a cassette and are spring loaded and if you only pull it out 1-2m it should hold pretty tight without sagging. No good if it gets really windy.

Associate
OP
There are building regs all over this thing but they've clearly been ignored!
that's NOT TRUE and I RESENT .. no actually that's fair enough.

If you put any form of roof up, have you considered where the rain is going to drain to? There are probably building regulations about that.

There's a drain that the water from the balcony goes to. I figured if the "roof" ended before the end of the balcony it would all go to that drain.

Associate
OP
You want to be dry and not have the sun on you?

Go indoors and open a window.

I want to feel the breeze; I just don't want direct sunlight. I don't understand people who don't mind baking. I always prefer the shade. Perhaps this is why, when nude, I look like a milk bottle.

Back
Top Bottom