Which Wood Would You ?

Soldato
OP
I've seen a few custom build / size options and they are a fair bit more expensive than the kits. The timber may be cheaper but it's countered / exceeded by the labour. The other issue is availability - most trades and builders round here are like rocking horse poo at the moment

Soldato
I've seen a few custom build / size options and they are a fair bit more expensive than the kits. The timber may be cheaper but it's countered / exceeded by the labour. The other issue is availability - most trades and builders round here are like rocking horse poo at the moment
That's fair. Trades around here a nightmare to get a hold of too.

I'd go for the 3rd on looks alone but that only because all 3 are next to each other to compare. Number 2 will look grand just as much.

The Larch vs Fir debate is all a bit of a muchness if it is kept away from constant moisture and treated properly.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm gonna double check the specs and dims on #2 and #3

The gazebo will be under the tree canopy, have a shingle roof and guttering and be on a raised base so no standing / constant water and less of a an issue the more I think about it.

Soldato
OP
Thread bump ! :D

Finally pulled the trigger on the gazebo. Wasn't intending to do until next year but had a quick look on the website and there was / is a substantial saving in the sale.

Went for a variation on #3 with the offset posts in the corner as that's perfect for how you approach / will get into the gazebo.

Pegasus-3x5-Open-2-l.jpg

Pegasus-3x5-Open-l.jpg

Still pricey but looks the part, is definately substantial / chunky and some nice details / features

Gazebo-19mm-roof-2-l.jpg

Gazebo-strong-perlins-l.jpg

Gazebo-corner-brace-3-l.jpg

Gazebo-posts-2-l.jpg

Gazebo-post-trims-2-l.jpg

Delivery is quick too, should be here in approx. 10 working days. Will keep you updated :D

Associate
It looks lovely @{SAS}TB. :)

My only concern, would it become infested with spiders? You walk up to and get a face full of web? I guess this question has been prompted as its September.

Don't get me wrong, I have no fear of spiders, neither do I go around harming them. My garage door is a hotel! The garage is empty, they simply like creeping in under the door and setting up home. Its grim as there is an ongoing battle with the House Spiders and Daddy Longlegs. Its a mess of webs and House Spider corpses. I wonder how people clean? Just fear this could be a haven, I don't know? A case of getting the vacuum?

Soldato
OP
Looks really nice that @{SAS}TB . Deary me a little more than I expected though! I guess it's been hit by the timber price increases?

Be sure to post some pics up as/when it's built

Thanks and I will :)

Looking round it isnt the cheapest but definately "chunkier" and along the lines we were looking for

That said it's a grand less than it was at the start of the year so suspect its to shift stock and / or make way for new lines next season

It looks lovely @{SAS}TB. :)

My only concern, would it become infested with spiders? You walk up to and get a face full of web? I guess this question has been prompted as its September.

Don't get me wrong, I have no fear of spiders, neither do I go around harming them. My garage door is a hotel! The garage is empty, they simply like creeping in under the door and setting up home. Its grim as there is an ongoing battle with the House Spiders and Daddy Longlegs. Its a mess of webs and House Spider corpses. I wonder how people clean? Just fear this could be a haven, I don't know? A case of getting the vacuum?

Not something I'd even thought about ..... :D

Soldato
Out of interest, is there a benefit to having the uprights as 4 thinner pieces screwed together other than cost?

My parents place in Spain has similar posts and i always thought it odd to not just use a 5x5 post, albeit that would be more expensive than 4x1.25 lengths together.

Out of interest, is there a benefit to having the uprights as 4 thinner pieces screwed together other than cost?

I assume its the old laminated wood even chunky is actually more stable than a solid piece, due to the risk of distortion, 4x square will if properly constructed self resist movement where as single piece if it decides it wants to move will do so solo with no direct resistance
Also I believe the risk of splitting etc is lower on "engineered" as opposed to solid

Soldato
Interesting, i could understand on narrower pieces like flooring etc, but when you get to 5" square i'd have thought it'd be less of an issue.

I'll have to bear that in mind for future projects as we've talked about building a pergola at some point.

Interesting, i could understand on narrower pieces like flooring etc, but when you get to 5" square i'd have thought it'd be less of an issue.

I'll have to bear that in mind for future projects as we've talked about building a pergola at some point.

I think the warping is less an issue and splitting becomes more of an issue as the single piece gets larger and larger
Many really old pieces of timber end up being reinforced with studs when you look at them

I remember watching a woodworking video some years ago where an expert went into why a "planked" table was better than a single massive piece which was that the smaller pieces in effect were more stable than a single large piece.

Back
Top Bottom