Beers of the World 5 - Round U

Soldato
Hi everyone,

Rules: Beers of the World - Mk 5 *** RULES AND SIGNUP HERE ***

U – Untappd - Enter the beer with highest Untappd score over 4.25 and must have over 300 check-ins at time of judging.

Leaderboard

*Weringo 137
*Charlie Bravo 132
*Repta 128
Ahleckz 127
*Executive Beef 121
*Touch 121
*Bickaxe 114
Mike the Native 113
*Sonea Fifer 113
Russinating 107
*Martynt74 105
*Feek 64
Lysander 49

*Jester played

Entries

iqvumk0.png

Expected to see some amazing beers this week and I think it was successful. Some very strong entries.
@weringo takes the bonus pt for his 'low alcohol' entry. Good thing you added a link otherwise I would have disqualified it with that picture.
@Feek, @Sonea Fifer & @Martynt74 were disqualified for not meeting the criteria, I suspect 2 of them already knew that was coming though.

5 rounds to go!

Next round: V – Vessel - Must have a picture of a ship or boat on the label (25th Sept)

Bonus pts - 1pt for Lowest Total Check ins (75 or more)

Soldato
I’m at a loss. What’s the criteria?

I just thought it was purely down to Untappd rating and I’ve always classed barleywine to be a variety of beer as it’s made using hops and made by breweries.

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/articles-about-craft-beer/barley-wine

Was there something else that I was meant to have factored in?

EDIT. Ah balls. I never saw the checkin criteria.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to a beer festival on Saturday, so I was hoping to get something there. However, after a 90 minute queue I finally got to the bar. The bar had no labels on the taps and the staff hadn't a clue what they were serving. Plus, most of it was warm. Oh, and it was £7 for 500ml. Then their payment system they used (some stupid wristband you had to top up online) stopped working. It was a disaster. So, I had to re-enter a previous beer.

9-AF7-D3-E1-31-DA-4950-844-C-8-A6-E30-AF70-C4.jpg

Soldato
Its a good question, I guess the process for making beer is used but when the ingredients are mostly fruit it starts to cross a line.

I think I might ban sours next time. After all, they are disgusting.

Sounds like a spin off BOTW contest is going to be launched, one that celebrates the best of the brewing world. We'll include a Porter round, just to remind ourselves how superior our sours are.

Soldato
It's Beer Merchants in Hackney Wick, probably my favourite bar in the UK. They do all sorts but are Belgium owned so get a lot of beers over from there, and are a particularly good source of lambic.

As well as baskets they will often also serve your beer with a decanter. Pouring from a basket into a decanter into your glass feels a little overkill but it adds to the occasion I suppose :p

Soldato
Have just opened mine. Really can’t decide on it.

I’ve never had a barleywine before so hard to say if it’s worth the rating or not.

It’s a bit like a very strong Belgian ale but with a caramel sweetness to it too. It’s not unpleasant but not sure it’s one for another purchase.

Maybe I’m just bitter I got no points :(

Edit: Now it’s drank. I’m not sure if it’s the alcohol but the bottle has one of the nicest feeling labels I’ve ever experienced! I can’t quite explain it but I find myself stroking it. Maybe it was laced with mdma!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been on holiday for a week so just catching up with this now.
Here's my round U entry:
9oPsWjZ.jpg
An excellent beer. Didn't taste as strong as 11% but certainly felt it! I'll definitely be trying more of their beers.

Back
Top Bottom