Energy Suppliers

Caporegime
I was reading the news on BBC red button this morning and it looks like another four of the small energy providers are going to cease trading this week, see here. My current deal is coming to a end at the end of October and all I am seeing is massive price rises, gas at double the price or higher than what I am currently paying. Just in time for winter!!

I've gone for a 3 year lock in with no fees. So if things go down I can switch again.
Plus get a chunk of cashback for this one.

Couldn't risk staying on variable any longer

Soldato
Not sure what to do with mine currently fixed with EON till end of March

Offering 12 month fixed at 20p for electricity and 3.85p for gas which works out about 10 a month more than currently paying as paying 17

Not sure whether to refix as not too much more and could get worse but then have winter at higher new rate or wait till march and potentiay.bigger jump

Currently on 18.5 elec and 3.2 gas

The latest offer from EON from comparing rates mentionned in posts on here seems quite good

Soldato
Terrible increases here too, just had notification that our unit rate will be rising from ~12.9p/unit to 16.4p.

The crazy thing is that I cannot find anything better either, just a company called neon reef also at 16.4p. It doesn’t seem long ago that we were at around 10-11p.

Will this get to a point where it’ll be cheaper to just generate your own with gasoil? Be amusing to work that out :p

Apparently Neon Reef are run by the same people that ran Utility Point, who went under last week. Watch out there!

Soldato
I'ld lock in at that. Gas wholesale prices have nearly doubled this year and when gas goes up so do the costs for gas fired power stations and therefore electric prices too. Given prices are going mental and we arent even into winter yet, i hatr to think what will hapoen if we have a cold winter.

Soldato
People are probably going to have to start being sensible. Drink water instead of tea. Turn thermostats down. Don't leave the tv on all the time. etc.

Thermostats, immersion heaters and general wasting of energy yes, but I don't think many people will be at the point of having to have a glass of water instead of a cup of tea. A kettle costs hardly anything to run.

Soldato
Bugger; I was involved in the project bringing in and the first upgrade on SAP for one of the biggest firms; it was crap back then and I bet its barely any better now

I deal with most of the energy companies in my current role and some of the big ones in my previous role.

None of them have got a clue what is going on still, the fragmentation of the market hasn't really helped, you'll know how complex some of the back end stuff is and those smaller companies just dont have the expertise available.

Plus with the Smart roll out being slow, there are still quite a few areas where economies of scale impact on the costs of running a portfolio of customers.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Apparently Neon Reef are run by the same people that ran Utility Point, who went under last week. Watch out there!
Yeah I saw that mentioned elsewhere on here, shame as they are offering a comparatively ok (still seems awful to me) rate of 16.498/kWh/ 17p/day standing fixed for 12mo.

Maybe worth the risk of any transfer if they do go under as I am sure that everyone else will go up beyond this anyway.

Associate
Energy price increases will be the least of people's worries.
The BOE are going to have their hands forced by the markets soon enough meaning significant interest rate increases with plenty of home repossessions to follow.

Caporegime
This could largely have been avoided with nuclear power, the money we are spending on HS2 would pay for enough nuclear power stations to totally replace fossil fuels for electricity generation in the UK, nuclear power provides a predictable stable cost of electricity that avoids these wild fluctuations in prices for the consumer and provides market stability.

Soldato
Deary me just ran our usage through a couple of sites and looking at an £80 per month hike come January time, that's if things don't get worse between now and then which they likely will...

Associate
I was reading the news on BBC red button this morning and it looks like another four of the small energy providers are going to cease trading this week, see here. My current deal is coming to a end at the end of October and all I am seeing is massive price rises, gas at double the price or higher than what I am currently paying. Just in time for winter!!

Never again will I use these small companies. Got burned few years back when the same thing happened. Extra Energy plus a ton more all went bust, accept the owner of EE wouldn't cooperate with Gov (doing a Prince Andrew I guess), and therefore took the best part of a year to get my money back, once Scottish Power got access to my records.

These smaller companies are just playing a short term game, with no interest in sticking around for the long run. The owners don't put up the money when wholesale prices go up, dont have liquidity to ride out the wave but just go bankrupt.

Soldato
This could largely have been avoided with nuclear power, the money we are spending on HS2 would pay for enough nuclear power stations to totally replace fossil fuels for electricity generation in the UK, nuclear power provides a predictable stable cost of electricity that avoids these wild fluctuations in prices for the consumer and provides market stability.

Yeah, but herp derp Chernobyl, herp derp nuclear bad :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom