Asus Q-Fan question

Associate
I am researching the Asus B550-E Gaming MB, which has a 2-pin temp sensor input on the board and I want to be able to base the fan curves off this from within the BIOS. I do not want to have to use software control in Windows because that's crap and I sometimes play around with Linux.

However the manual doesn't tell you where to choose a temperature source from within the BIOS Q-fan section, which leads me to believe it is all based off CPU temp unless you use their Windows software.

Can anyone with an Asus MB (preferably one with a 2-pin temp sensor on it) tell me if this is possible within the BIOS?

Cheers

Soldato
Motherboard based controls are often limited, because of "maker knowing what's best for you" and wanting to push their buggy bloatwares along with it.

AquaComputer's controller's would be the best for that situation.
While their software for setting up controller is Windows based, actual control is run on own microcontroller (=miniature PC/SoC) and doesn't need any software, if using physical temperature sensors.
5.25" bay form factor Aquaero would also have its own physical interface with display and buttons for doing settings etc. (in clumsy and slow way)
Aquaero LT and PWM fan controllers Quadro/Octo need software to program them.

Associate
OP
I see, I suspected they were holding off on that functionality in the BIOS to make you use their bloatware.

I may take a look at another MB vendor where this is know to work correctly in BIOS in that case. I don't want another controller I prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

Associate
I am researching the Asus B550-E Gaming MB, which has a 2-pin temp sensor input on the board and I want to be able to base the fan curves off this from within the BIOS. I do not want to have to use software control in Windows because that's crap and I sometimes play around with Linux.

However the manual doesn't tell you where to choose a temperature source from within the BIOS Q-fan section, which leads me to believe it is all based off CPU temp unless you use their Windows software.

Can anyone with an Asus MB (preferably one with a 2-pin temp sensor on it) tell me if this is possible within the BIOS?

Cheers

From memory, my crosshair vi hero BIOS would only allow the CPU temperature to be used in a curve for the CPU fan header(s). The case fan headers could be set to use other temperatures - e.g. VRM, motherboard which included the temperature header.

The Gigabyte X570S I'm currently using allows the selection of any temperature measure visible in the BIOS for the curve of any fan header in the BIOS.

Associate
I have an Asus Dark Hero, and currently have the speed of one of the fans based on a themistor stuck in my GPU heatsink. As VersionMonkey said, only the chassis fans allow the temperature source to be changed, not the CPU fans. The relevant property in the BIOS is labelled "Q-Fan Source".

Soldato

Cheers

asus board fan curves are for cpu tempreture only

Back
Top Bottom