[HELP] Wired connection suddenly slow?

Associate
EDIT/ SOLVED - See post #23 in this thread or TL: DR Windows Start Menu/Settings/Network & Internet/Network Reset

My Virgin Media fiber conenction has been a rock solid 550Mbps for nearly 1 year but today on my wired connection it's just 130Mbps. It is not the fault of VM because my phone still gets 550Mbps over a wireless connection so it must be an issue with my PC.

I've tried both ethernet ports on my mobo and checked for updates in the following places and I have zero outstanding updates:

Windows Update
AI Suite (Motherboards updating software)
Intel Driver & Support Assistant

I have no software running that is hogging the connection or anything like that and obviously I've tried rebooting the PC and the VM Hub, but as I said the Hub is actually providing the correct speed via wireless so I don't beleive there is an issue there.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you using a VPN or anything like that?
No, I should have mentioned that. Ive recently upgraded my CPU and motherboard and done a fresh Windows install so the system is running pretty bare bones at the minute with regards to software and everything is fully up to date. Its been absolutely fine up until today, yesterday was 550Mbps as normal, today it's 130Mbps seemingly out of the blue.

Soldato
Do you have another wired PC that you can connect to the VM hub and see what speeds that gets? Have you tried changing the ethernet cables to eliminate them?

Associate
OP
I only have an old laptop here at the minute and that got 256Mbps when plugged into the very same cable as the dektop PC so there is definitely an issue with the desktop PC. The fact the old laptop got 256Mbps instead of the 550Mbps I usually get when wired in and still get over wireless is probabpy because its an old out of date laptop (the Wife's). The Wife actually has a new NHS laptop when when she's back shortly I'll try that one because it should retuen a better result.

So still not sure what's wrong with the desktop PC? Bit baffling tbh.

Associate
OP
I think it must be something to do with the VM Hub's wired connections somehow. No matter what ethernet port or cable I use (I have several VM Cat6 cables) this is what I get:

Desktop PC = 130Mbps (every time it's tested)
Old Laptop = 200-260Mbps
New NHS Laptop = 170-200Mbps

The desktop PC is the healthiest and usually the most consistent so it's always very stable and returns a high Mbps so that's always the one I trust. I guess I can rule out the PC's then and start to look at the VM hub, not quite sure what could be causing it though.

Soldato
I agree. It's weird that the wireless is working OK and the ethernet ports appear to be a problem. You're not using any network switches between the computer and the VM hub are you?

Are you running the latest BIOS on the motherboard? Definitely Intel's v26 drivers for the Ethernet ports?

Associate
OP
I agree. It's weird that the wireless is working OK and the ethernet ports appear to be a problem. You're not using any network switches between the computer and the VM hub are you?

Are you running the latest BIOS on the motherboard? Definitely Intel's v26 drivers for the Ethernet ports?

Yeah its odd. No ethernet switches and BIOS is up to date. Not sure where I can view the ethernet port drivers version so I'll see if I can find it. It's happening accros multiple devices though.

Soldato
Is it possible to turn wifi off on the VM router? Then with the sole PC connected, does it still only give the reduced speed? I would then also boot to a linux live distro and test again, then if it does the same then you can be 100% sure that it is the ethernet on the VM router.

Associate
OP
All I see under Device Manager/Network Adapters/Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V/Properties/Driver is:

Driver Version 1.0.2.6

And its the same for Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V #2

Associate
OP
Is it possible to turn wifi off on the VM router? Then with the sole PC connected, does it still only give the reduced speed? I would then also boot to a linux live distro and test again, then if it does the same then you can be 100% sure that it is the ethernet on the VM router.

I can disable the WiFi and give that a go yes, bare with me. With regards to Linux, nope, never used it lol

Soldato
I can disable the WiFi and give that a go yes, bare with me. With regards to Linux, nope, never used it lol

:) It's pretty easy if you have a USB stick, you can simply boot to it and use it as a normal install from the USB stick, probably not worth it with what you've already tested (multiple machines) but it's there as an option :)

Associate
OP
:) It's pretty easy if you have a USB stick, you can simply boot to it and use it as a normal install from the USB stick, probably not worth it with what you've already tested (multiple machines) but it's there as an option :)
Yeah, I'll see what the VM Tech comes back with on Friday before going down that road.

Just disabled WiFi and still got the same result.

I'll let you know what happens Friday then I guess :)

Associate
OP
OK so it's my PC but I don't know what's causing it??!!

VM came out and tested my whole network and everywhere they plugged their meter into a wired connection it gave results of 550Mbps+ So the problem is my PC.

Soldato
I'd give VaderDSL's suggestion of running a Linux distro from a pen drive serious thought. If you have a pen drive you can use and can boot into the distro from it and test download speeds there and it's the same then you know it's the computer hardware, i.e. the ethernet port. If the problem goes away then it stands to reason that there's something in Windows causing an issue and you might want to re-install Windows again to clean things out or dive into the network settings and check things out.

Associate
OP
I'd give VaderDSL's suggestion of running a Linux distro from a pen drive serious thought. If you have a pen drive you can use and can boot into the distro from it and test download speeds there and it's the same then you know it's the computer hardware, i.e. the ethernet port. If the problem goes away then it stands to reason that there's something in Windows causing an issue and you might want to re-install Windows again to clean things out or dive into the network settings and check things out.
You guys might be right then as that seems like the only way to narrow it down further. I'll have to do some reading up on how that works then as I've never done it before. Wish me luck lol

Back
Top Bottom