Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I found the per unit caps set by ofgem in April 2021.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publicatio...ease-april-consumers-should-switch-save-money

19p for electric and 3p for gas, added 12% for October 2021, this suggests to me the variable deals cant go up much in price because of the cap. So I went with variable on Octopus, their fixed is circa 25% higher for me way above the cap, and for a heavy gas user would be nearer 50%.

Soldato
Not to turn this political but had labour won and nationalised energy would we be in better stead? Or would it be more of the same a government can’t organised a very good drinking session in a brewery.

We will never know if they would have nationalised, and even if this quick.

But if they did then likely it would have been subsidised by general taxation increases or gov borrowing, a win for the poor, evened out for the higher earners.

But with the current situation the gov is surely going to have to step in, either ditching the cap or bailing out companies, I think the latter is far more likely with Boris, a tory leader not afraid to spend and a populist.

Soldato
We will never know if they would have nationalised, and even if this quick.

But if they did then likely it would have been subsidised by general taxation increases or gov borrowing, a win for the poor, evened out for the higher earners.

But with the current situation the gov is surely going to have to step in, either ditching the cap or bailing out companies, I think the latter is far more likely with Boris, a tory leader not afraid to spend and a populist.

Not sure why it would need taxation, the big energy companies have made profit for years surely. It if was nationalised and run as not for profit it would cover itself, or am I way off the mark?

I don’t think bail outs are much cop, taxpayers money plugging a hole because someone made a mistake.

I am with Bulb myself have been for a while now been through 3 prices increases this year. Eon Next (or Sainsbury’s but definitely thing) are my cheapest tariff at the moment.

Soldato
Our tarrif ends this December, currently paying around £100 p/m for gas only, not looking forward to new tarrif!

(Property type, large 1800s built, no insulation in walls as it's stone built)
£100/pm now, hate to see your bill in winter. Im paid £7.28 last month.

Soldato
How much energy do you actually need to run a laptop/PC/monitor, I'd say soar was an exaggeration anyhow, go up slightly would be a better way to put it.

We are using 1-2 units extra a day in summer. It’s more the winter heating costs which rose quite a lot. Heating is on from 7am until 9pm instead of just 45 mins in the morning and from 5-9 in the evening.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just switched to AVRO 10days before all this kicked off.

Just a another nail in the coffin for a broken system that should be nationalised into two areas, Business and home users.

Thatcher is clapping even more now.

Soldato
The cap they brought in screwed everyone over. All that happened is everyone has ended up on **** tariffs, instead of just the sheep.

Soldato
Phone lines at work are blowing up this morning due to all the stories over the weekend even though we arent a supplier which is in the news or at risk. Seems people have really twitchy bums.

Part of the problem with the price cap at the moment is it's too low to cover costs for suppliers and since the price cap is locked until April it has the potential to force a lot of suppliers to go under this winter

Soldato
Trying to decide whether to try and jump ship from Bulb asap or wait and see...

Sainsbury's seem to have a reasonable fixed tariff - about 20p elec + 4p gas fixed for 2 years with 12,000 Nectar points as a signing bonus, and also no early cancellation/switching fees. Somehow it still seems to work out cheaper than Bulb were following a recent price hike

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The problem is that the North sea is shutting down, are own gas is getting harder and harder to produce.

33% of all gas into the UK last year came from Qatar via West Wales and what is happening at the moment is the ships are getting diverted mid journey to the countries willing to pay the bill.

We should have invested in shale gas or nuclear but that was NIMBY"d out of existence.
Wait until everyone has electric cars, black and brown outs for everyone when a couple of million electric cars are plugged in over night when we have the same situations.
Also those quoting using heat pumps, they don't work with existing radiators as the maximum temperature you can get is 45 degrees out of them, so you will need to either do underfloor heating or install air conditioning style units. The air only units become steadily less efficient as it gets colder to the point of it gets too cold they will switch off. The ground source heaters need a big garden or bore holes both of which are out of the reach of the poor population without government intervention.

SHALE gas is nothing but stupid, apart from the board of directors who run the company... Get real.

Soldato
Trying to decide whether to try and jump ship from Bulb asap or wait and see...

Sainsbury's seem to have a reasonable fixed tariff - about 20p elec + 4p gas fixed for 2 years with 12,000 Nectar points as a signing bonus, and also no early cancellation/switching fees. Somehow it still seems to work out cheaper than Bulb were following a recent price hike

Sainsbury's are actually just British Gas in disguise, so be sure to compare the two.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Bulb is looking for a bailout apparently...

Let them look, The entire energy market is nothing but a SCAM, so many Tarrifs, suppliers its utter ******** everyone knows it apart from the Tory voting owners on a get rich scheme.

Back
Top Bottom