Introduction to Macs (new/old)?

Associate
Hi All,

I am interested in looking at trying out a Mac to see if it meets my general PC needs. The family are all on iPhones, iPads and we have a desktop which I use for games, a laptop and a few other PCs.

My question is really, should I be looking at a new one direct from apple to 'see if I get on with it' or look at a used one? I am also reasonably interested in developing web software and I am currently using my PC. a Mac would allow me to look at some native iOS applications.

I would be interested in people's opinions as part of my research. In particular those people who have migrated from PC -> mac

Associate
OP
Hi Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I was thinking a Mac mini due to its form factor. it would also mean I could heopfully use the exisiting monitor that has HDMI and Display port inputs. If I am using the system for general web browsing, Office applications and web/application development, how much weighting needs to be put into items like processor, ram and hard disk space? I have a reasonable 'feel' for these on PCs but I wondered if there are any differences on Macs.

Soldato
A faster version of the M1 may well make an appearance in the next couple of months, so this isn’t the best time to buy IMO.

Associate
I have a MacBook Pro 2012 model. Upgraded the SSD and it runs really well. Haven’t had any problems with it at all. Also no need for antivirus software. If you are looking for an Apple computer related product for your whole family then I’d suggest a Mac Mini! They’re fantastic

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm not in a rush to purchase and would consider a used version. Is there any issues with the M1 processor and software? i seem to recall it is not based on the x86 instruction set.

Commissario
A faster version of the M1 may well make an appearance in the next couple of months, so this isn’t the best time to buy IMO.
The M1 24" iMac is new enough that it's not going to be touched for at least another year. If that's the model being considered, it really is a good time to buy.

Man of Honour
Is it something you have to purchase or is at native part of the OS?
It's part of the OS. You'll only ever see it once, the first time you try and run any Intel app it'll tell you that it has to install Rosetta 2. After that it'll be completely seamless to the user, regardless if it's another Intel app or not.

Associate
OP
It's part of the OS. You'll only ever see it once, the first time you try and run any Intel app it'll tell you that it has to install Rosetta 2. After that it'll be completely seamless to the user, regardless if it's another Intel app or not.

Thanks Chris, I was hoping it was simple. If i didn't got for an M1 chip version and went for an 'older' model, what is your view on how far back in models should I consider?

Man of Honour
Thanks Chris, I was hoping it was simple. If i didn't got for an M1 chip version and went for an 'older' model, what is your view on how far back in models should I consider?
Difficult to say but if you can afford it I'd definitely recommend getting an M1 model.

Back
Top Bottom