• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Associate
OP
If its just the top head which won't turn. Try unscrewing with an elastic band between the screwdriver and screw

I'll give this a go, also found out that aluminium foil can also do the same.

At least I have an option here to remedy this. Will let you know how I get on.

Also thinking I may try 2.0 mm on the back and 1.5 on the front. Still cant believe that even though the pads have been making contact the temps have gone up as high as they have with the change from stock to Gelid. Maybe 2.0mm and 300 mm is too thick after all.

Artic MX4 good enough for the gpu die? Or anything better out there?

@uscool - When you redid it the 2nd time did you have better improvements using less pieces on the back and covering less of those componets?

Soldato
I'll give this a go, also found out that aluminium foil can also do the same.

At least I have an option here to remedy this. Will let you know how I get on.

Also thinking I may try 2.0 mm on the back and 1.5 on the front. Still cant believe that even though the pads have been making contact the temps have gone up as high as they have with the change from stock to Gelid. Maybe 2.0mm and 300 mm is too thick after all.

Artic MX4 good enough for the gpu die? Or anything better out there?

@uscool - When you redid it the 2nd time did you have better improvements using less pieces on the back and covering less of those componets?

I didn't notice any difference with and without covering the back where the vram is if it does must be like 1-2c difference still getting 82-86c memory temps

If I were to do another card I would just leave the stock pads on the back and only do the Igor mod for the back

Can't imagine it's the thickness of pads so many have used the same , regardless if the pads are thick wouldn't still would lower vram temps it's the gpu temp that would be effected also the gelid Xtreme pads are very soft they compress a lot

Soldato
You could take one of the others out and measure it?
I can't remember the bit size, but it's the thread size and depth that's more important.
The screws on my 3090 aren't counter sunk though.

Associate
OP
Thanks FlyingFish, any idea what they would be called if not coutnersunk. Sorry dont know to much on screw types so any assitance you or anyone can give here is appreciated.

Looks like Im going to have to do that, Have not seen anywhere on the web that states the sizes.

Associate
OP
just tried the rubber band method andaluminium foil, neither has worked for me :

The screws are 6mm in size

@FlyingFish - those are not the screws. its the T5 screws under the little magnetic covers i am referign to.

Caporegime
If you're that worried about memory temperatures then buy a waterblock and go watercooling. NVidia wouldn't be releasing cards as they are if memory temp was a problem so I don't know why people feel the need to mess and presumably void the warranty.

Soldato
If you're that worried about memory temperatures then buy a waterblock and go watercooling. NVidia wouldn't be releasing cards as they are if memory temp was a problem so I don't know why people feel the need to mess and presumably void the warranty.
That is my view.

I've hit 102 playing quake 2 rtx. I understand that is probably the most demanding game, pulls max power on my 3080fe.

That's 8c off throttling. So not plenty of headroom, but still enough to cover a warm day.

Associate
When you next attempt to remove the screw make sure all the other screws are in and nipped up, this may help relieve some of the pressure on the head of the troublesome screw. just don`t overtighten them though.

Associate
OP
Ive had to order a screw extractor set from Amazon. Nothing that I have tried this morning has worked to even loosen it a little.

Issue I have is finding replacement screws. Want to reaplce all 4 of the T5 6m screws but cant seems to locate an equivalent. Even had a look at nvidias site and not luck there. Would prefer cross head if there are any, jsut not sure what Im looking for.

To everyone who has commented on this post and given advice, I thank you so much. Im feeling pretty down at the moment with what has happened and regreting my decision to atempt the thermal pad mod.

Associate
That is my view.

I've hit 102 playing quake 2 rtx. I understand that is probably the most demanding game, pulls max power on my 3080fe.

That's 8c off throttling. So not plenty of headroom, but still enough to cover a warm day.

The main problem is once you get over 100 C the cards go into "turbo fan" mode. The performance may be fine, but the noise levels quickly become unacceptable. My 3090 sounds like a jet engine once VRAM temps get over 100 C.

I don't play any RT titles currently, but if I did then modding would be mandatory. Either that or an RMA (but you'd be unlikely to get a card that was any better).

Soldato
The main problem is once you get over 100 C the cards go into "turbo fan" mode. The performance may be fine, but the noise levels quickly become unacceptable. My 3090 sounds like a jet engine once VRAM temps get over 100 C.

I don't play any RT titles currently, but if I did then modding would be mandatory. Either that or an RMA (but you'd be unlikely to get a card that was any better).
I've not noticed this turbo can mode. The fan is linked to CPU temp. I'll have to see if mine does it, sure it does if you say so.

Soldato
The only reason I'm considering upgrading my thermal pads. My PC is silent otherwise.

I came across this guide, which I'll follow. Looks a pretty solid guide to me.
https://willmnorris.medium.com/guide-to-nvidia-3080-fe-thermal-pad-mod-cf378339f7ac

Hopefully the op sorts his issues out!

Associate
OP
The only reason I'm considering upgrading my thermal pads. My PC is silent otherwise.

I came across this guide, which I'll follow. Looks a pretty solid guide to me.
https://willmnorris.medium.com/guide-to-nvidia-3080-fe-thermal-pad-mod-cf378339f7ac

Hopefully the op sorts his issues out!

Be careful, wouldnt want what happened to me to happen to you. If the fans arent going full speed whilst gaming, I wouldnt bother changing the pads.

I followed the video (basically the same as the post) had the pads in the same postions and asw no change to memory junction temps. I then read a few osts on reddit advising to squish down the pads which I did (see my photos) and that resulted in the mem junc temps going up to 104c

Associate
Pads your using are way to thick , you need 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate on the front ( die side ) and 2,0mm Gelid ultimate on the back . i tried 2.0mm front but core wasn't making good contact . with 1.5mm core is now perfect and memory sits at 74 to 82 depending on fan speed :)

Associate

This is the reason I changed my card thermal pads. Btw I don't use my card for mining

non rtx games the vram can go over 90c after an hour and around 8c higher when playing rtx games.

With pads change, vram max 88c when playing rtx games with fans running at around 1300rpm.

Back
Top Bottom