• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus TUF 3080 TI issue

Associate
Hi

So recently I've managed to get myself Asus tuf 3080Ti, and all were good for a week I was using the card in the performance mode(physical switch on the GPU), it was a bit noisy but the temps were excellent(64-65c) so I've decided to switch to quiet mode just to try it out, yes card went silent and tbh there is no performance loss but temps shoot to 74c, and I do not like that. Decided to switch it back on to performance mode but it looks like it didn't work at all, as the card is behaving as in quiet mode, temps are in 73-74C. Does anyone encounter an issue like that before? I am a bit lost and I don't know whether I should RMA this or what went wrong... any help is much appreciated

Associate
Did you restart the system after switching?

Use Afterburner/some other app to check fan speeds.

74C seems just fine though for a quiet fan profile, no reason to be concerned about that especially if you prefer the lower noise.

Associate
Does anyone encounter an issue like that before?

Yes, with a 2080ti strix. I found that I needed to reinstall the asus software if I flicked the switch one way or the other. Also sometimes after installing a new nvidia driver. To be honest I wouldn't get stressed over those temps if you prefer the fan profile in quiet mode.

Associate
OP
Did you restart the system after switching?

Use Afterburner/some other app to check fan speeds.

74C seems just fine though for a quiet fan profile, no reason to be concerned about that especially if you prefer the lower noise.

Yes, don't know if you can switch profiles on the go so I toggled the switch while pc was off. I didn't mind the noise just thought that Ill try the quiet profile and now card is stuck in quiet profile all the time...

Associate
OP
Yes, with a 2080ti strix. I found that I needed to reinstall the asus software if I flicked the switch one way or the other. Also sometimes after installing a new nvidia driver. To be honest I wouldn't get stressed over those temps if you prefer the fan profile in quiet mode.
Got no Asus software just MSI afterburner to monitor temps on osd, 64c-65c, and 74-75c, that 10c difference is pretty big if you ask me :(

Associate
Hi

So recently I've managed to get myself Asus tuf 3080Ti, and all were good for a week I was using the card in the performance mode(physical switch on the GPU), it was a bit noisy but the temps were excellent(64-65c) so I've decided to switch to quiet mode just to try it out, yes card went silent and tbh there is no performance loss but temps shoot to 74c, and I do not like that. Decided to switch it back on to performance mode but it looks like it didn't work at all, as the card is behaving as in quiet mode, temps are in 73-74C. Does anyone encounter an issue like that before? I am a bit lost and I don't know whether I should RMA this or what went wrong... any help is much appreciated
Download ASUS' GPU tweak software and try the 'Silent' setting in there. It allows you to switch in software rather than BIOS switch and I have a hunch it'll stick that way even if you uninstall GPU tweak afterwards.

Caporegime
undervolt the card not only do you get better than stock performance it uses less power and it runs cooler. also set a custom fan curve if you desire cool vs quiet

Associate
Got no Asus software just MSI afterburner to monitor temps on osd, 64c-65c, and 74-75c, that 10c difference is pretty big if you ask me :(

10 degrees is the price you pay for less noise. 65 to 75 isn't a big deal. 95 to 105 might be. Why not try downloading the software for your card from the Asus website? Once you've got the settings to stick you can delete it if you want, I did.

Soldato
It's nothing really. Mid-70s is still a perfectly fine temperature for any GPU to operate at. Nvidia's reference cards have always targeted temperatures higher than that, so I'd trust they know what they're doing. Personally, I'd set it to quiet mode and undervolt to get the best of both worlds. The power these cards draw at stock is obscene.

Associate
No, you don't need to RMA. 67c load is about what I get with my 3080 ti tuf with performance BIOS. 75c load (and a bit higher) is, in fact, what most cards including FE target, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You do need to at least restart and re-run (if not reinstall) the GPUTweak software (and possibly drivers) after a BIOS switch. There's some caching in the software (can't figure out where) that makes your power and fan profiles go screwy if you just switch without re-running the sysinfo util (that is invoked by the software) which reads the BIOS. Considering this issue, these dual BIOSes are really more hassle than they're worth for adjusting settings since you can just adjust setting in software. Dual BIOS is more useful if your applying custom BIOSes since, if one is borked, you can still switch over to the other and reflash -- and I suspect this is the "real" reason AIB add dual BIOS support.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, you don't need to RMA. 67c load is about what I get with my 3080 ti tuf with performance BIOS. 75c load (and a bit higher) is, in fact, what most cards including FE target, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You do need to at least restart and re-run (if not reinstall) the GPUTweak software (and possibly drivers) after a BIOS switch. There's some caching in the software (can't figure out where) that makes your power and fan profiles go screwy if you just switch without re-running the sysinfo util (that is invoked by the software) which reads the BIOS. Considering this issue, these dual BIOSes are really more hassle than they're worth for adjusting settings since you can just adjust setting in software. Dual BIOS is more useful if your applying custom BIOSes since, if one is borked, you can still switch over to the other and reflash -- and I suspect this is the "real" reason AIB add dual BIOS support.
Ok, that makes so much sense, I'll play with this on the weekend. thank you :)

Associate
Just got this card, and i must say what a beast, quick question, does anybody have problems with Msi afterburner when trying to make a custom Fan Curve ? For some reason i cannot get it to work.

Thanks

Associate
Try actually rebooting the system and not simply turning it off and on again. This is often needed to get a GPU to switch it a different BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom