Random Famous People You Met

At my primary school, mid-80s, Princess Diana opened a new building / section of the school. I was able to meet her, although only aged 8 at the time, I didn't really understand the significance. If I was say 13 or 14, I would have appreciated it more.

My uncle is into events management, done big stuff like One Big Sunday and Homogamy. I have met Peter Andre and Darius through him. For Peter Andre, it was 2nd time round, 2004, as opposed to 1996.

Then I have also met David Blunkett. It was the 1st year of Labour (so 1997) and Blunkett was releasing the education white papers at a nearby school. A bunch of us from different schools ran a music concert for him before his official white papers bit. He had a guide dog as well, so I stroked that :D

Edit no.1: I was also on the Really Wild Show once back in 1990 with Terry Nutkins as presenter. I didn't actually meet him, but was pretty close to the front of the audience.

Edit no.2: I have also met Steve Backley (javelin thrower). He came to my school in 1992 to teach my PE class for an hour. I wasn't allowed to do PE normally because of my low vision, but because Steve's lesson wasn't any form of contact sports, my support worker said that I could go to the lesson and meet him. He gave each of us a signed postcard-sized photo of him.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Worked for Jack Straw so knew him pretty well.

He stopped for a drink in my old local once or twice. Once while I was there, but didn't approach him to meet him properly. He was the MP for Blackburn so assume he preferred to drink out of town :D

When I worked at my local Sainsburys Deli in my late teens I used to serve Vicky Entwistle (Janice Battersby) most weeks. She never got any attention and the bloke she was with seemed like a bit of a member.

Man of Honour
Where would I start?
Garth Crooks was my best mate but he wasn't famous at that young age.
I used to play at the original Jollees quite a lot in support acts so met many famous artists both music & comedy.
I was in Chuck Berry's backing band one evening but I didn't really meet him - he came on and went off.
I did the PA for many bands in the early stages of their career such as Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode, Culture Club and loads more.
I did a 7 day tour with TISWAS doing the PA and spent every evening with Chris Tarrant, Sally James, Lenny Henry, Bob Carolgees, Spit & Charlie plus the guy out of the Scaffold who played the piano, I never found out who the Fantom Flan Flinger was but I know now.
I've talked to Robert Plant and Glen Hughes twice who have been to see my band at the time.
Spent an evening in a pub with The Macc Lads who came to see my band.
Spent time with Sir Stanley Matthews & Gordon Banks.
This one you'll think I'm making up but I went to a Leeds match in the early 70s with a bloke who was a Leeds Scout and we popped into Billy Bremner's house for some dinner. His wife made us fish & chips, Billy had a couple of pints and fags and then went off on his own. Outside the ground he arranged for Jackie Charlton to take me into the changing room to get autographs.
and so on ..................

Now today I've been reading about John Caudwell and his horrendous accident - in 1978 I went to the South of France with him and his brother but he wasn't famous then.
He was a Michelin Apprentice and about 5 years older but we hit it off because of once again, my music.

Man of Honour
Had plenty of celebs in the back of the cab over the years, but I never initiated a conversation with anyone, be they a bricklayer or a BAFTA nominee.
The only two that I remember talking to me were Dave Allen and Martin Clunes.
I replied politely to them, but aside from “Where to?” and, “That’ll be £X”, that’s all that I ever said to any of them.

Man of Honour
I met Paddy Ashdown (Lib Dem leader at the time) in Laura Ashley Oxford Street many years ago...

Coming from Somerset - most of my childhood around the Yeovil area - I met Paddy a few times - it has been many years though so don't remember specifics - was mostly just saying hello. Also Ian Botham came into my school a bit - he was a former pupil there.

Gary Lineker used to be a semi-regular visitor at my dad's work (I worked there for a year or two as well) - him and my dad used to get on pretty well. (Not me in the picture but that was my work area when I was there).

PSvSuV6.png

Sat back to back with Katie Price in a Wetherspoons once for most of the night and had no idea it was her until I saw the pictures in the local paper (did wonder why a lot of people including the staff were coming over to talk to her but assumed it was a regular - not a place I spend much time in).

Saw Prince Charles whisk past in a motorcade once and stood on a roof and watched the Queen and Prince Philip pass below - was surprised how little security they seemed to have - if I was up to no good no one would have been able to stop me.

YwhRlwy.png

Last edited:
Associate
Had a few in my boozer over the years...

Neil Morrissey
Brian May
Rory McGrath
Arthur Smith
Joe Wilkinson
Kris Marshall
Andrew Marr
Martin Roberts
Gary from Eastenders
Bumped into Charlie Brooks on Milsom St
Almost walked into Phil Jupitus, also on Milsom St

I'll probably edit a few more in as I remember them!

Caporegime
I've met all three TG hosts on separate occasions (Clarkson whilst in the middle of his "slope" thing which was rather amusing), Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson (they filmed a scene in Last Chance Harvey on the south bank, I was working at the BFI at the time), Katie Price, Daniel Craig (was filming Spectre outside my work), Idris Elba, Jonny Depp (taking the mick a bit with this one, literally shook hand and told him how much I loved him in Pirates, that was about it), and many, many more.

Soldato
Quite a few random ones but my memory escapes me. I used to work in a guitar shop at the repair counter and had a customer bring his guitar over. I booked it in for a service, agreed some details, and asked for the customer's name. He said "Nick Lowe" and looked really quite annoyed :D

I was also in the Live & Kicking audience aged 10 when Zoe Ball was hosting. She was lovely and it was probably the peak of my crush on her.

Associate
Stood watching someone playing an Arcade machine on Blackpool Pleasure Beach as a kid.After a few minutes i looked to see who it was,Paul Daniels.

Soldato
I always thought he was a massive bell-end whenever I saw him on the telly but met him at the magic convention at Blackpool a few years back. My opinion totally changed, what a nice bloke he was.

When i worked at Staples years ago he used to come in and buy his ink cartridges from us.

Rik Waller also came in and bought an office chair from us. He also brought back said chair when he broke it... :o:D

Soldato
Jeremy Irons in Heathrow T5.

He was ahead of me going through security and I that "I recognise that person".

I walked past him sitting down on a bench out of the way a little later on and said hi. Very friendly person :)

Caporegime
Had plenty of celebs in the back of the cab over the years, but I never initiated a conversation with anyone, be they a bricklayer or a BAFTA nominee.
The only two that I remember talking to me were Dave Allen and Martin Clunes.
I replied politely to them, but aside from “Where to?” and, “That’ll be £X”, that’s all that I ever said to any of them.

Is that a black cab thing then? Taxi drivers up this way nearly always initiate a conversation.

Soldato
Anthony Head at a train station around 2004. He offered to help me lift my daughters pushchair onto the train, posed for a selfie and we chatted for about 10 mins although my knowledge was limited as I hadn't seen Rocky Horror and only caught a few episodes of Buffy. Lovely bloke.

Matt Smith and some cast members of Dr Who. 2013 I think. They were filming on our street and had blocked it off. The trouble was, my missus had to run around for work and it was upsetting their shots as it was set in the 70's so they didn't like a Ford Focus parking up in front of the house. Security had a word but once they found out what she did and that they could all be facing court time, they relented very quickly. The cast and some crew came around to apologise. We never watched the show so I had no idea who they were until they left as the filming notice sheet didn't say what was being filmed. Apparently they filmed some Torchwood stuff there too but we missed that.

Terry Pratchett. Being fans of his books, we had met him many times at events and signings. He knew a lot of us by name and would ask pointed questions once he found out what you did for a living. This material would sometimes end up in a book. Had a few meals and drinks with him.
Similar experiences with Jasper Fforde although not being as well known meant he had a lot more time at events to mingle. He used to be a focus puller (film) and his party trick is to judge distance almost to the centimetre. Drinks in the bar were good fun.
Stephen Baxter. Very nice but very quiet.

Damien Lewis. On a train in about 2001 after Band Of Brothers. Chatted about his experiences with it. Really nice guy.

Billy Connolly at Aberdeen Airport/flight to Heathrow. Some hippy wearing brightly coloured clothes in front of us at check-in. Turned around and I was in shock (My comedy hero). Only said hello. Ended up sat next to him on the flight and he was telling jokes on take off as my missus is a nervous flyer, had me in tears. Left him to his own devices during the flight. After collecting bags, he asked my missus how she was before he left.

Back
Top Bottom