Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Bulb won't last the winter do you mean?

Yeah meant to get a 'free' smart meter but I already know that we aren't going to be able to have one - there's zero mobile signal on any mobile network at my house, so other companies have tried and failed to put one in previously.

Bulb smart meters use radio frequency - nothing to do with mobile signals (just for information)

Associate
Been trying to get my current supplier to update our electricity from a dual rate for about 9 months now and forever get excuses, not sure it's really their obligation to do so but it's required for the SMART meter upgrade since we don't have a reason for the dual rate meter any longer apparently. Will likely move suppliers by the time they ever agree to do the upgrade which is probably why they've been giving us excuses!

Soldato
Well I'm off Bulb and away to British Gas - not that bad of a rate to be fair and fixed until Nov 2023

Weirdly though they did a credit check as part of setting it up and said it came back as "high-risk" which was a shock to me... had to pay a deposit of £200 which I'll get back in 12 months assuming I don't miss any payments. Jumped onto Experian right afterwards to check wtf was going on an I have a near perfect 995/999 credit score, so I've no idea where British Gas got their info from (unless it wasn't really a credit check and part of the "risk" was being on a supplier currently that might go belly up?)

Soldato
A new page in the history of nuclear energy could be written this September, in the middle of the Gobi Desert, in the north of China. At the end of August, Beijing announced that it had completed the construction of its first thorium-fuelled molten-salt nuclear reactor, with plans to begin the first tests of this alternative technology to current nuclear reactors within the next two weeks.

Built not far from the northern city of Wuwei, the low-powered prototype can as yet only produce energy for around 1,000 homes, according to the scientific journal Nature.

But if the upcoming tests succeed, Chinese authorities will start a programme to build another reactor capable of generating electricity for over 100,000 homes. Beijing could then become an exporter of a reactor technology that has been the subject of much discussion for over 40 years, according to French financial newspaper Les Echos.

https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pa...game-changing-thorium-fuelled-nuclear-reactor

Good to see that Thorium is being tested again, its been seen as the safer way to produce energy so might get around some of the fear from the public over nuclear power.

Soldato
Associate
So my fixed deal with SSE recently finished and we are just on their standard tariff - what’s the best thing to do at the moment? Guessing there aren’t many “deals” around?!

Typically we spend around £1500pa on energy bills which covers two of us (well 3 now with the baby).

Associate
Avro were generally fine but they billed me via DD even after I left them, and now owe me £110 odd after the final bill.

I then switched to UP, who died, and they also owe me some cash.

If Avro kick the bucket, I don't think my credit will automatically go anywhere, hopefully it's not just lost for good, but there isn't a new supplier to take it on. What happens to it in that case anyone?

I'll be cancelling my DD as soon as first DD is taken by E-On

Commissario
I literally bought the cheapest available from Screwfix 5 years ago and not had to replace a single one.

The problem is you are buying 60w plus alternatives. Are you trying to imitate the sun being in your room or something?
Depending on your eyesight you may not have much choice about buying highwer wattage bulbs, same with light placement in the room (especially for large rooms).

We have to have the rooms really well lit because my father's eyes are pretty bad* and he needs all the light he can get.

*Although the local hospital did some sort of miracle the other week, no idea quite what but they seem to have reversed some sight loss they'd been sure was permanent in all his previous visits :D (from what he's said they had a bunch of new equipment and some very young looking staff, so I'm guessing something new turned up in the last 2 years).

Associate
Bit worried about the avro stories having just switched to them :(

They're cheap, I had no issues with supply they're just rubbish customer service and will not listen to you if you ask to lower your monthly DD even if you present them evidence of yearly usage, do the maths for them etc. Annoys me that does. I like my money in my account, not £275 of it sat in Avro's account. Just hope they don't go belly up so I lose it.

My advice is under quote your usage slightly to Avro. You should hopefully never end up in credit that way.

Soldato
So my fixed deal with SSE recently finished and we are just on their standard tariff - what’s the best thing to do at the moment? Guessing there aren’t many “deals” around?!

Typically we spend around £1500pa on energy bills which covers two of us (well 3 now with the baby).

Do you have a 9 bed house or something?

£1500 a year for a 2 person household is well above the norm. Do you have excessive use on gas or electric? or both. If most people's bills are going up by 33-50%, i shudder to think of your costs! You'd be looking at a region of £1995-£2250.

We've got a 2 person household (+dog) in a good sized 3-bed semi and we were paying around £600pa for gas/elec - admittedly ours is a bit lower than the norm.

I appreciate costs can vary across region, so for comparative reference over the last 12 months we'd averaged about 2750 kWh of electric and 5000 kWh of gas.

Soldato
Do you have a 9 bed house or something?

£1500 a year for a 2 person household is well above the norm. Do you have excessive use on gas or electric? or both. If most people's bills are going up by 33-50%, i shudder to think of your costs! You'd be looking at a region of £1995-£2250.

We've got a 2 person household (+dog) in a good sized 3-bed semi and we were paying around £600pa for gas/elec - admittedly ours is a bit lower than the norm.

I appreciate costs can vary across region, so for comparative reference over the last 12 months we'd averaged about 2750 kWh of electric and 5000 kWh of gas.

That's only £125/month, which isn't a huge amount, and roughly the same as we pay (albeit with a 9 year old on top).

Our 12 month usage prior to the last time we changed tariff was ~6,171.9 kWh electric and ~15361.7 gas

Soldato
Considering Bulb's prices are jumping on in october i've jumped ship to Eon Next and started the move today. Least if anything goes wrong im in the ideal place to sort it out considering i work for them :D

Man of Honour
Well I'm off Bulb and away to British Gas - not that bad of a rate to be fair and fixed until Nov 2023

Weirdly though they did a credit check as part of setting it up and said it came back as "high-risk" which was a shock to me... had to pay a deposit of £200 which I'll get back in 12 months assuming I don't miss any payments. Jumped onto Experian right afterwards to check wtf was going on an I have a near perfect 995/999 credit score, so I've no idea where British Gas got their info from (unless it wasn't really a credit check and part of the "risk" was being on a supplier currently that might go belly up?)
Check your report with all 3 of the credit score companies, you may have an issue on the one BG checked.

Soldato
We currently pay £90 a month (£1,080 pa), for a 1970s 3 bedroom end terrace with six occupants. Most of that is electricity due to the PCs, servers etc. With the price rise in October we've been quoted between £140 and £200 per month, the lower of which is Sainsbury's Energy (e.on) so at least one of the more protected - in theory - big six.

Igloo today posted a notice on their home page saying that all customers' credit balances and energy supply are safe. The link when clicked describes the current market and says that they don't rule out raising prices again this year, but so many small companies are going to the wall they want to reassure customers that they are safe should Igloo go under. I read that as something of a soft pre-warning and didn't bother switching to them. Shame, as they have good customer service and were cheap.

Associate
Kicked off the move from Bulb to E.on Next this morning. Gone 12 months fixed, works out cheaper than the most recent hike with Bulb.

Done the same today, works out about £20 a month cheaper but fixed for a year, less than price cap and felt a little uneasy about all the bad press bulb is having around financial backing etc.

Soldato
That's only £125/month, which isn't a huge amount, and roughly the same as we pay (albeit with a 9 year old on top).

Our 12 month usage prior to the last time we changed tariff was ~6,171.9 kWh electric and ~15361.7 gas

That electric consumption is just under double the ‘norm’, gas is there or there about. Do you have an electric car or a hot hub or something like that?

Soldato
Seems to be a lot of negative comments about Avro refusing to refund credit for customers that have left (keep delaying) and not answering the phones. Hope they don't go under, I switched to them before prices went crazy (still a lot higher but better than now) and if I get stuck on one of the big suppliers variable tariffs then this winter will be very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom