Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters

Sui

Sui

Soldato
They usually remove it from pre order if they can’t fulfil the release date.

edit- oh well, I get it vat free so I shouldn’t really moan :p

It shows you the expected delivery date in checkout, it’s an annoying way of doing it, because it does make you think you’ll get it on release day.

Soldato
It shows you the expected delivery date in checkout, it’s an annoying way of doing it, because it does make you think you’ll get it on release day.
Thanks! Just noticed that when trying to order a different colour. None of the other colours have a estimated delivery date at all (mini 128) edit - apart from blue 128

Soldato
Settings > Tap name > iCloud > photos and tap optimise iPhone storage.

It’ll leave all you’re photos on iCloud and remove the vast bulk of them. You’ll also be able to upload new photos at a later date.

You could also go settings > photos and chop and change more settings there. You could transfer the originals to a PC/Mac

Thanks. I've always had "optimise iphone storage" set but it only saves about 5gb (out of 40). I've synced my photos with onedrive so I may just delete them all from my iphone when the new one arrives and start fresh (knowing that they're all backed up online).

Soldato
Tried my 13 Pro Max case on my 12 and all the buttons line up, just the mute slider must be very slightly higher on the 13.
Camera hole in the case is a good chunk larger than the 12 Max.
Kinda pointless information but hey I’m bored :o

Soldato
I downsized from a XS to a mini, and haven’t looked back. 5.4 is just spot on.

XS was 5.8" as I recall so not quite as much of a drop.

Apple basically ditched the 5.8" form-factor of the XS and 11 Pro in favour of making them 6.1" and then introducing the 5.4" Mini below them. Makes sense really, never saw the point of having both 6.1" and 5.8" sizes, they're too close.

Soldato
XS was 5.8" as I recall so not quite as much of a drop.

Apple basically ditched the 5.8" form-factor of the XS and 11 Pro in favour of making them 6.1" and then introducing the 5.4" Mini below them. Makes sense really, never saw the point of having both 6.1" and 5.8" sizes, they're too close.
Was it not more a case of they were able to fit a 6.1” screen into almost the same footprint as a 5.8” - thus keeping the physical size of the device the same?

Soldato
Was it not more a case of they were able to fit a 6.1” screen into almost the same footprint as a 5.8” - thus keeping the physical size of the device the same?

There was an element of this as the bezels on the XS were slightly smaller but the XR was still noticeably bigger at about 7mm taller and 5mm wider.

Soldato
If they release a.
Thanks. I've always had "optimise iphone storage" set but it only saves about 5gb (out of 40). I've synced my photos with onedrive so I may just delete them all from my iphone when the new one arrives and start fresh (knowing that they're all backed up online).

Strange, I guess you’ve got plenty space on your phone then as mines takes way more off.

Associate
I used to have a new phone every 2 years religiously. The past 2 generations seem to be more an incremental upgrade. Nice to see another upgrade though. When do people thing the next big change is likely to occur? What do you think it will be?

Soldato
I used to have a new phone every 2 years religiously. The past 2 generations seem to be more an incremental upgrade. Nice to see another upgrade though. When do people thing the next big change is likely to occur? What do you think it will be?

There will not be a big change, the annual updates have been mainly been incremental since the iPhone 6. Yes the iPhone X say a design change from the iPhone 8 but fundamentally the experience didn't really change and that's on purpose. To me and many others pressing a home button vs swiping up from the bottom is fundamentally the same and the real world performance was not significantly different to any other annual update.

When/if Apple releases a folding phone, the experience will not be drastically different except it folds in half.

Associate
Yes until and unfortunate accident with a pool , I was quite happy with my iPhone X but was thinking about this new version. Given the situation I went for a 12 as I couldn’t be without a phone for so long. Sticking a SIM card into a 3310 was nostalgic, but not being able to access my app only bank was a bit of a problem !

Man of Honour
Tthe real world performance was not significantly different to any other annual update.
Quite notable they compared the performance to generic competitors phones and not their previous models which suggests the performance gains are quite small now. So yeah it will be improvements on screens, camera I guess? Although those have moved on massively the last few years so not big gains to make there still.

Soldato
We’ll get the square edge iPhones for a few more years and then they’ll go back to the rounded edges and call it an `all new’ design.

Soldato
Quite notable they compared the performance to generic competitors phones and not their previous models which suggests the performance gains are quite small now. So yeah it will be improvements on screens, camera I guess? Although those have moved on massively the last few years so not big gains to make there still.

Yes I noticed this, not a single A15 vs A14 metric in the announcement so the differences are obviously microscopic.

Soldato
I know it’s slightly off topic but just to add to the Android vs Apple(OS) debate - Apple know how to roll out an update. I admit it’s a fairly minor attribute to many but as I’m sure users will know the new OS’s were released yesterday. I now have iOS 15 on my iPhone 12, iPadOS 15 on my Air and watchOS 8 on my Series 5 all within an hour of each other.
You just don’t get that sort of continuity with Android.

Soldato
Yes I noticed this, not a single A15 vs A14 metric in the announcement so the differences are obviously microscopic.

I read that Apple lost a number of their senior chip designers. If the A15 isn’t much of a leap, I wonder how this bodes for the M1X and M2. A few “optimists” seem to think the next gen Apple Silicon will be faster than a 5950x + 3090, but all on a single 30W chip. Perhaps the gains will be more modest.

Associate
So, being that I'm swapping from Android, the only issue I see coming is transfer of WhatsApp data over. Is there any way to achieve this, I believe iOS no longer supports WhatsApp backups to Google Drive?

Associate
Quite a telling sign. I think there ultimately becomes a diminishing return of what you can put into these systems. A good analogy is a monitor .which the masses do not understand why they need a 240 Hz g sync/ free sync monitor

Back
Top Bottom