What Next for 2020? Volcanoes of Course!

Associate
I went to La Palma a couple of years ago, and passed by that Volcano while out and about, it's an epic place with such a beautiful landscape, but always with some trepidation as to what could happen, would have made a good set for a Jurassic Park movie.

The drive up to the peak of the island where all the observatories are is brilliant, tend to get a lot of low lying cloud that you drive through into the sunshine, it's like ascending through the clouds on an aeroplane, and the view from the top is magnificent.

Hope all on the island are safe.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I hope Boris sent a convoy of planes over with giant bags to collect it, to prevent our impending meat and pop crisis. ;)
plants and trees love co2 though, they are gasping for air right now :p
For most crops the saturation point will be reached at about 1,000–1,300 ppm under ideal circumstances. A lower level (800–1,000 ppm) is recommended for raising seedlings (tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers) as well as for lettuce production.
What is a good CO2 level in house?
CO2
250-400ppmNormal background concentration in outdoor ambient air
400-1,000ppmConcentrations typical of occupied indoor spaces with good air exchange
1,000-2,000ppmComplaints of drowsiness and poor air.
x4YV4qi.jpg
whole thing seems like a scam if 1000-1300 is considered ideal circumstances for plants/trees/crops

they comsume c02 and create oxygen.... if they are like half efficiency right now then surely the more c02 we pump out the faster plants/trees/crops grow to make up for it

we just need to stop increasing the c02 in our atmosphere at some point before 1000 then nature takes over surely?

whole thing seems like a scam imo

seems more like we're trying to adapt the planet to suit only 1 species that doesn't like the normal heat/cooling cycle of the planet or that the gulf air stream will shift back again in a natural state thats bad for us.

nothing about saving the planet, just making humans lives easier when they live in places that can't support them

Soldato
whole thing seems like a scam imo

It's a bigger issue than just CO2, deforestation, destruction of environments to build concrete jungles, CO2 is just a problem they think they can focus on whilst keeping every other convenience that is contributing to climate change, it likely wouldn't be enough even if we as a species could cut down our production of CO2 which we can't actually do

Man of Honour
New 3.8 earthquake at Cumbre Vieja and new fissure opened up - thought there was a bit of pressure still pent up - hopefully that'll ease it without a more dramatic event.

Soldato
having a far higher CO2 concentration may be good for plants but it's not good for humans. go look at greenhouses where plants are grown. high CO2, high temperatures. At those temps and CO2 level, our icesheets melt into the sea, the oceans rise, cities flood, humanity has to move en masse. But, yeah, might be good for plants if we haven't concreted over the planet by then.

Man of Honour
Still very active at Cumbre Vieja - seems the new fissure took the edge off it a bit but still a lot going on underneath.

Man of Honour
Saw something earlier where they claimed that magma had caused the ground to raise a full 8" overnight.

In some places it is up to 11 inches - seems to be plenty of pressure still in the system. Judging by the earthquake activity magma entering the system is reducing and/or even some movement is back downwards. General indication is something is changing in the system but way beyond my knowledge as to what.

Associate
I've not followed this story, but from that pic i can see people driving in both directions and cars still parked up. These areas surely not in a safe zone with all the dust and gas being emitted? And a car is a good way to get the hell out of there?

Man of Honour
Probably not ideal - AFAIK as thing stand the gas risk is fairly well monitored and defined.

The main concern I think in that regard is if the flows reach the sea.

Back
Top Bottom