• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Associate
OP
Pads your using are way to thick , you need 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate on the front ( die side ) and 2,0mm Gelid ultimate on the back . i tried 2.0mm front but core wasn't making good contact . with 1.5mm core is now perfect and memory sits at 74 to 82 depending on fan speed :)

A lot of the guides out there and YouTube videos are stating 2mm on the die and 3mm on the back.

I agree with you though, I do believe now they need to be thinner.

Associate
A lot of the guides out there and YouTube videos are stating 2mm on the die and 3mm on the back.

I agree with you though, I do believe now they need to be thinner.

I followed the guides as well but had no luck with 2.0mm front as the core temp would shoot up and make the fans go rapid , i then redid the lot using 1.5mm front and its now absolutely perfect for core and memory. i used the 2.0mm i had on the front to redo the back with and again was perfect . This was with the Gelid Ultimate pads though which are a harder compound than the extreme versions so don't compress as much . anyway its perfect now and no issues with temps at all :)

Soldato
I followed the guides as well but had no luck with 2.0mm front as the core temp would shoot up and make the fans go rapid , i then redid the lot using 1.5mm front and its now absolutely perfect for core and memory. i used the 2.0mm i had on the front to redo the back with and again was perfect . This was with the Gelid Ultimate pads though which are a harder compound than the extreme versions so don't compress as much . anyway its perfect now and no issues with temps at all :)

that explains that , its the pads used ultimate dont compress as much thats why you got that issue . extreme are very soft I used 2mm extreme for die side and had no issues

Associate
that explains that , its the pads used ultimate dont compress as much thats why you got that issue . extreme are very soft I used 2mm extreme for die side and had no issues

yeah the compound of the pads will dictate what thickness can be used ... unfortunately not a one size fits all case. I had some spare ultimate pads from doing my 3090 waterblock install so rather then buying more ( expensive :cry: ) i decided to give the pads i had a go ... i tried the 2.0mm first as the guides suggested and while the memory was very cool ( 70deg ) the core was around 75 to 80 and upon disassembly i could see where the core wasn't making contact properly . redid the lot with 1.5mm and as above has been spot on now both memory and core. so if using Gelid Ultimate it is 1.5mm front and 2.0mm rear :)

Soldato
Are you sure because good few guides mention gelid Xtreme pads 2mm for die side and 3mm for back abs have had good results as I have with 3080 Fe . Or you on about the 3090fe ?

Gelid Xtreme are meant to be very squashy

3080fe I had. Combination of 1.5mm and 2mm pads were the best. Oh the large rectangular one near the v section is 1mm where the back side of the RAM is.

Soldato
3080fe I had. Combination of 1.5mm and 2mm pads were the best. Oh the large rectangular one near the v section is 1mm where the back side of the RAM is.

best to name the thermal pad brand and version used, not all are the same regardless of depth gelid extreme are very soft so are more forgiving

Associate
Ive had to order a screw extractor set from Amazon. Nothing that I have tried this morning has worked to even loosen it a little.

Issue I have is finding replacement screws. Want to reaplce all 4 of the T5 6m screws but cant seems to locate an equivalent. Even had a look at nvidias site and not luck there. Would prefer cross head if there are any, jsut not sure what Im looking for.

To everyone who has commented on this post and given advice, I thank you so much. Im feeling pretty down at the moment with what has happened and regreting my decision to atempt the thermal pad mod.

I think everybody can feel your pain. Chances were one of us would hit a major problem changing the pads when we really shouldn't have to. Hopefully you can find a way of getting that screw out and replacing any threaded ones.

Associate
OP
Wondering if I should go with the Ultimate pads an the smaller thickness Like Jay-G25 suggestion over the extreme pads.

I think everybody can feel your pain. Chances were one of us would hit a major problem changing the pads when we really shouldn't have to. Hopefully you can find a way of getting that screw out and replacing any threaded ones.

Thanks tommoT.Striker hoping the screw extractor works.

are you mining?
If not the simplist thing to do, is put it back together and take it to CEX. Take their £1150 and then buy a 3080ti in the next drop.

I don't mine, and have thought to take it to CEX.

Personally I just want to fix what I've broke and start to enjoy the damn thing.

Soldato
Redid it all 3 times today, Reapplied thermal paste and pressing down on the pads to make sure they are were not preventing the backpaltes from making contact.
Isn't the idea for them to make contact with the backplate, they're not going to transfer much heat if they have nothing to transfer it too.

You should try to avoid touching thermal pads or pressing them down, grease from your fingers will interfere with the transfer of heat and any deformation of the pads will mean they're not making contact with whatever your trying to sink the heat too.

You should've used a really sharp blade to cut them to the exact size you need, make sure they don't cover anything higher than what you're trying to cool as that will leave a gap between what you want to transfer the heat too. Once you've cut all the pads so they sit level on what you want to cool clean the surfaces thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, peel off one side and carefully lay them in place, once they're all in the right place peel off the other protective covering, clean what you're going to sink the heat too (the heatsink or backplate) and gently attach it making sure not to dislodge or move the pads. Typically it's easiest/best to screw each screw until you just feel a bit of resistance and then give each screw a turn or a half so you don't squash one thermal pad more than another.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not all pads are equal. There are 2-3 main types of pads people are using and you need to use a different thickness for each one as some are softer than others. Although technically softer ones you shouldn't really need to be using thicker as you are just squashing them outward.

Just because someone on YouTube used 3mm doesn't mean the pads you buy should be 3mm.

There's already 50+ threads on Reddit discussing which pads and which thickness to use and which ones are softer and harder

Associate
Wondering if I should go with the Ultimate pads an the smaller thickness Like Jay-G25 suggestion over the extreme pads.

Thanks tommoT.Striker hoping the screw extractor works.

I don't mine, and have thought to take it to CEX.

Personally I just want to fix what I've broke and start to enjoy the damn thing.

The Gelid Ultimate are the better pad between the 2 gelid ( extreme and ultimate , 12.7w/mk vs 15.0ww/mk ) so will offer better performance and i can assure you if you use 1.5mm on the front and 2.0mm on the rear you will have no issue temperature wise and everything will be good .. just need to get that pesky screw removed now. is there no way you can get the 3 released and partially lift the back plate so the underside grips the countersunk bit on the screw and hopefully loosens it enough to get it out .. i had to do something similar on my 3090 ek backplate thing as one of the screw heads stripped but managed to work it out by removing the rest and wiggling the backplate about :)

Associate
OP
@Murphy - First time round I did it as you have described. Cut the thermal pads as described and aligned the accordingly. However after putting all back together, there was no temp drop. Memory Junction was still high at 100c. Thats when i started reading posts about squishing the pads down hence why I did it.

@Jay-G25 - If I can get the card free I will be trying the ultimates. Problem is the screw will not turn at all. no mater what screw head I've tried that can fit the hole, it just doesn't not grip it. the driver just spins in the screw head.

Associate
OP
Today's update

THE SCREW IS OUT ^^

Not sure how I did it but Iit was a mixture of using aluminium foil over a screw head and slightly lifting up the cover to put pressure on the screw from underneath as suggested

Ok time to order up the Gelid Ultimate pads and sort this puppy out!!!

@Jay-G25 which diagrams did you follow? And how many packs of 2.0mm Ultimate do I need 1 or 2?

Soldato
Glad you got it out :) have you managed to find replacement screw ? when you first did it did you also do the back of board and was it difficult to take off the pads ? the first pictures you sent that with it taken apart are you sure they are extreme gelid pads because when I took mine apart my pads didnt look like that I had shape engraved of the vram and vrm clearly

Associate
Today's update

THE SCREW IS OUT ^^

Not sure how I did it but Iit was a mixture of using aluminium foil over a screw head and slightly lifting up the cover to put pressure on the screw from underneath as suggested

Ok time to order up the Gelid Ultimate pads and sort this puppy out!!!

@Jay-G25 which diagrams did you follow? And how many packs of 2.0mm Ultimate do I need 1 or 2?

Well done on getting that screw out :D

on the front you wont need a diagram as there provide you with a template but on the back i used a guide i found online , unfortunately it was a few months ago now and i didn't save the website but will be plenty to copy and they all follow the same procedure mostly :)

As for the amount needed i would order these packs which will cover you on front and back and will have some spare in case you make a mistake on one :)

Gelid GP Ultimate 2pcs 1.5mm 90x50 Thermal Pad
Gelid GP Ultimate 2pcs 2.0mm 90x50 Thermal Pad

£45 roughly :)

Associate
OP
Hi uscool,

100% they were Gelid Extreme pads (still have the packaging the come in if you want me to take a phot and link tme here happy to do so)

They look butchered as I pressed them down (wrapped finger in cling film so not to touch them directly)and cut off excess with tiny scissors as I was trying to keep it as close as possible to the diagram making sure I didnt cover anythign I wasnt supposed too.

That wont happen this time round, not going to even press them down.

Back
Top Bottom