Sat nav for walking

Soldato
Hi guys. Quite often when I'm walking, I use the Google maps sat nav on my S7 Edge and switch it from car to walking. It's excellent in the car, and works ok for walking, the blue dotted line moves along and the voice prompts work. But during walking, the arrow doesn't point in the right direction, it's all over the place. Is there an app for walking that is easier to follow?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys. Quite often when I'm walking, I use the Google maps sat nav on my S7 Edge and switch it from car to walking. It's excellent in the car, and works ok for walking, the blue dotted line moves along and the voice prompts work. But for walking, the arrow doesn't point in the right direction, it's all over the place. Is there an app for walking that is easier to follow?
Viewranger or Gaia Maps.

Soldato
Thanks Rob. I downloaded them both. One of them doesn't give me any results for specific London streets. The other wants me to sign up first. They both seem to be more about hiking/trail routes?
Depends which maps you use. You need to choose the maps that suite what your wanting.

Try openstreet maps.

Soldato
OP
Depends which maps you use. You need to choose the maps that suite what your wanting.

Try openstreet maps.

Thanks, will try openstreet. I've also downloaded Komoot which seems pretty good from a video I saw, with voice navigation like google maps and an arrow that looks like it stays in the right direction.

Associate
I think it also depends on whether your phone has a compass built in. Mine doesn't (moto g7 power) and the arrow doesn't reflect the direction I'm facing or walking.

Soldato
The Ordnance Survey app only costs £2 a month and gives you access to all the OS range, as well as various other standard maps, on any device and also lets you print your own custom views.
I got it for work, but it's been fantatsic outside of that too.
Various other features, such as 3D fly mode, if you're into all newfangled stuff...

Back
Top Bottom