Cars you just couldn’t get on with for various reasons?

Caporegime
OP
Couldn't fold the rear seats of my XE. Totally unusable in situations that only crop once in a blue moon but was enough to accelerate my decision to get rid of it. Otherwise the 25t was a fantastic car, lots of fun to throw around.
An XE is something I’m considering actually. Overall a good car?

Soldato
An XE is something I’m considering actually. Overall a good car?
Yeah absolutely spot on. Really really fun car, very practical - build quality I found more than acceptable coming from a facelift/2015 XF and before than 2012 Merc C Class Coupe. It has remote start despite technically being illegal so you can pre-warm/pre-cool. The only thing it lacked was any CarPlay or Android Auto - I don't think the 2016 cars ever had it even as an option, but the newest one does.

Engines are great - XE 25t was 250hp. I was looking to swap for a 300hp version or a second-hand XE S (3.0 V6/380hp) but couldn't find one in budget. I would have kept it, if it wasn't for the minor annoyance of seat folding. On the old XF you could cut the carpet away and the brackets were there to retrofit; on the XE to retrofit you have to do some metal work and swap the seats! (or buy it as a £50 option which I forgot to tick :mad:)

Edit: It isn't available as a hatchback though so you are stuck with the smaller opening. I never had an issue loading 4 flight-cases though on a regular basis.

Rear seats a touch tight but have happily transported 4 adults.

Soldato
No 1.

A 2002 Citroen C5 - I'd had a hydrogas suspension car before (a far older Citroen BX) so didn't find anything wrong with the C5's extremely soft/comfortable suspension driving around town.

However I then moved to Kent and my new commute sent me over the M2 bridge across the Medway and, no word of a lie, at any speed above 40mph the wind would be able to tip the car so violently, due to the very soft suspension, that the car would change lanes despite me steering into it - an absolute nightmare as I was forced to do 40mph in the middle lane so the wind couldn't blow me into either lanes 1 or 3, seriously dangerous stuff.

So less than 2 months after I bought it, and only 1 month into attempting my commute, I sold it for a 6 year old Mk4 Mondeo with moon miles (nearly 280k of Kent to Edinburgh motorway miles IIRC) which was perfect to drive instead.

No 2.

Any LR Defender (90/110/WOLF etc) as I have absolutely zero right elbow room to turn the wheel with my right hand. Happily I was in the military so I was "forced" to use the hateful things constantly :D

Soldato
Any LR Defender (90/110/WOLF etc) as I have absolutely zero right elbow room to turn the wheel with my right hand. Happily I was in the military so I was "forced" to use the hateful things constantly :D
It comes fully equipped for this problem - roll the window down :D:cry:

Caporegime
I love driving my 428i Gran Coupe very much, I think it looks amazing, is fast enough for me but still can be frugal enough if you’re gentle and on a run, but I’m thinking it may have to go soon. I didn’t notice it at first but the accelerator and other pedals are ever so slightly offset from the drivers seat. So far this is causing a great deal of pain in my right ankle, especially the tendons on the right hand side. Unless I find a way to stop this it may have to go. :(

So, has anyone else had a car that they’ve had to get rid of a reason like this? Uncomfortable seats, poor layout, offset pedals etc?

I had the exact same issue with offset pedals in my 328i but it was knee problems!

Caporegime
My F06 640d Gran Coupe - I thought it would be like my 535d but better in every way, which it was except for the inward tilt of the doors and the shallow slope of the windscreen leading to quite a low roofline. It felt cramped inside and I found myself resenting it more every day.

In contrast to @Bear above, I had the top spec seats which did have lumbar support and they were very very good.

I don't tend to keep cars particularly long but this one went very quickly even by my standards, well under 6 months.

I had the same car but currently looking at 850is and they have the same issue. The rear seats for such a large car are comical. The boot, despite being cavernous was a pain in the chuff due to a small opening. Pun intended.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
For my wife, our old Volvo S60. She hated the terrible turning circle, poor rear legroom and dog rough diesel engine. Personally, I didn't mind it that much.

More recently, we were given a courtesy car of a Kia SUV (so miserable that I can't even remember which model). I drove it 4 miles home. Hated the drive so much that despite being given it for a week, the only other time I drove it was to take it back. Horrible horrible thing.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I had the same car but currently looking at 850is and they have the same issue. The rear seats for such a large car are comical. The boot, despite being cavernous was a pain in the chuff due to a small opening. Pun intended.

Yes I dislike the 8 for the same reason. I think a car like that should feel roomy and they just don't. I know I was only in it for about 90 mins total but the Porsche Taycan didn't feel opressive like that at all.

Man of Honour
Yes I dislike the 8 for the same reason. I think a car like that should feel roomy and they just don't. I know I was only in it for about 90 mins total but the Porsche Taycan didn't feel opressive like that at all.
Classic huge small car problem. Like a reverse tardis

Man of Honour
I love driving my 428i Gran Coupe very much, I think it looks amazing, is fast enough for me but still can be frugal enough if you’re gentle and on a run, but I’m thinking it may have to go soon. I didn’t notice it at first but the accelerator and other pedals are ever so slightly offset from the drivers seat. So far this is causing a great deal of pain in my right ankle, especially the tendons on the right hand side. Unless I find a way to stop this it may have to go. :(

So, has anyone else had a car that they’ve had to get rid of a reason like this? Uncomfortable seats, poor layout, offset pedals etc?
How long have you had the car? I’ve had issues in the past like this, but after some time (few weeks) the muscles became accustomed and pain went.

Caporegime
OP
How long have you had the car? I’ve had issues in the past like this, but after some time (few weeks) the muscles became accustomed and pain went.

Nearly three months now but the pain has only started in the past week or so as I've been driving it more as I'm back in the office four days out of five. It's not even that far either! Will have a play around, might try and gtet the seat back a little and wheel closer to see if I can straighten up my foot on the pedal.

Caporegime
OP
Classic huge small car problem. Like a reverse tardis
i think it's a BMW thing. Engine far back in the long nose engine bay and the screen close to you. I don't think there's that much more space in my car than there was in my Focus. Perhaps a little bit of rear leg room but not much at all, a couple of inches if that.

Man of Honour
Nearly three months now but the pain has only started in the past week or so as I've been driving it more as I'm back in the office four days out of five. It's not even that far either! Will have a play around, might try and gtet the seat back a little and wheel closer to see if I can straighten up my foot on the pedal.
I think your body will adjust given time. I find throttle position for me takes getting use to in some cars. My E Class caused pain and my Polo was terrible for a few weeks (manual old school) until my legs got use to it .

Soldato
I never got used to the throttle on my Abarth. It's far to light compared to the other controls and feels weird.

The Fiesta ST gave me wrist and shoulder pain as the steering wheel had too much of an angle on it.

Soldato
I think there is some law which says you shouldn't leave a car running while unattended. So starting it remotely would break that.

Soldato
I stopped a test drive of a Maserati Ghibli after only a few minutes because the mount for the rear-view mirror was so large and blocked so much of my view.

Soldato
Intrigued as to the illegal aspect - can you shed any more light on that please? Thanks
This, qualified by 'on the public road'.

I think there is some law which says you shouldn't leave a car running while unattended. So starting it remotely would break that.

It's disabled in most other marques unless electric to avoid any contentious issues but Jag seemed to NGAF and enabled it for everyone.

Associate
Really liked my Alfa GTV but the seats and driving position were appalling for me. It wasn't the sole reason for getting rid but it did contribute. The MX5 which replaced it was miles ahead in that department.

Had a 147 which shares the same cabin as the GTV.

100% agree, used to get a pain in the hip as the pedals were offset. Also had a centre console elbow rest which blocked the hand brake! You could move it out of the way, but surely, the whole point is that it can stay in situ.

Back
Top Bottom