Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Can you cancel your direct debit before your final bill? Green imply that to refund you the credit on your account you need to keep the direct debit live. Is that actually correct?

I'd like my money out of Green ASAP as I've just a few days left before officially switching suppliers.

I cancelled my DD with Green as i was about £50 in credit and had already started a move away from them. Figured i'd just pay my last month out of my credit and if they owe me they can send me a cheque, or vice versa if i owe them.

Soldato
I uncancelled my DD with Avro as they do still owe me, and in theory they shouldn't take more money from me next month considering they've already issued my final bill.

Hopefully they send the cash back before they die, if they are going to! :O

Soldato
I have 6 months left on my fixed deal with avro, I currently pay 17p per day for both supply’s standing charge and 15p for electricity and 2.5p for gas, I’m in 2 minds to switch now to someone like Sainsbury’s for not a bad fixed 2 year deal or to ride it out and hope things stabilise somewhat in the next 6 months

Associate
I managed a few £50 referrals to Igloo and the latest bill says we’re £600 in credit so I’m tempted to ride it out for a few months, if they go under the balance should transfer. I don’t know if the worst is yet to come but it feels wrong trying to fix in a rate with a new supplier whilst it is so high.

Soldato
I have 6 months left on my fixed deal with avro, I currently pay 17p per day for both supply’s standing charge and 15p for electricity and 2.5p for gas, I’m in 2 minds to switch now to someone like Sainsbury’s for not a bad fixed 2 year deal or to ride it out and hope things stabilise somewhat in the next 6 months

Wouldnt be suprised if Avro go under given those prices, they are mental and 100% no sustainable, plus they are already on ofgems hit list it seems. Might as well ride it out until they go under or the contract ends, then jump ship

Soldato
Given that the energy price cap is £1,277, would it not benefit many to just move to the standard rates of their supplier? That way you never pay more than the cap. It sounds too obvious so I must be missing something!

Soldato
Makes perfect sense! I’ve done the electric sums for an EV and doubling my electric use is about where I came to.

If I were you I’d look at an EV/twin rate tariff if the ‘cheap’ time is viable for you (normally 4 hours in the middle of the night costing 1/3 to 1/4 of the ‘day’ rate)

I wonder what will happen to the cheap rate once a large amount of the population gets electric cars and all have them timed to charge at the current cheap rate times.... Hardly going to be off peak then :cry:

Associate
Had the email off Bulb this morning with the 'sorry to see you go' message so looks like migration to E.on Next is happening (a few friends were worried with so many chopping and changing yesterday after the news that things might not happen). Definitely says not to cancel the Direct Debit, so I'll leave it and see how it plays out.

Soldato
I'm with E-On on their variable rate. I know I should have fixed it sooner. I'm now looking at a £40 a month increase to fix and it seems the costs will be similar if I switch. No sure if I should fix anyway or see what happens to the rates.

Soldato
I don't see the benefit of fixing now as you will be paying more then the Ofgem price cap. It also doesn't stop your energy provider going bust and moving you to a different supplier and tariff.

It looks like the medium size energy suppliers aren't too big to fail so the government will not bail them out (at least at this stage...)

Soldato
Given that the energy price cap is £1,277, would it not benefit many to just move to the standard rates of their supplier? That way you never pay more than the cap. It sounds too obvious so I must be missing something!

That's not how it works. The cap is on the unit rate, and that £1,277 is the maximum an "average" household will pay based on the capped unit rates. If you use more than the average you will pay more (but your unit rates will still be capped).

Caporegime
I wonder what will happen to the cheap rate once a large amount of the population gets electric cars and all have them timed to charge at the current cheap rate times.... Hardly going to be off peak then :cry:

By then they will have enough wind turbines that they will be begging people to plug their electric cars into the grid using vehicle to grid chargers so they can use their batteries as storage.

I'm fact on some days currently we already have a surplus of energy at times when it's windy.

Man of Honour
Is anybody else with Look After My Bills?
I was expecting an email but the only thing I've got is British Gas supplying me from British Gas.
A quick Google shows nothing on their site about this, I wonder if it has put them out of business?

Soldato
Is anybody else with Look After My Bills?
I was expecting an email but the only thing I've got is British Gas supplying me from British Gas.
A quick Google shows nothing on their site about this, I wonder if it has put them out of business?

Can't be a very good business model if they've flopped at a time of mass switching, surely they'd be thriving - even if it means there aren't any amazing deals out there, they may still get people onto a rate that's below cap.

Back
Top Bottom