Secret Hobbies ?

Associate
I shoot. Not just clays, but game too if we get a chance, and we cook the result. People think it's mad/dangerous/nasty whatever, and the thing is a few years back we'd have though pretty much the same, but shooting clays is *heaps* of fun, it's very technical, demanding, it's loud and you get to make stuff explode legally. As for the game, there is NOTHING in the world better than coming back home with the dinner you hunted down with your dog. It's 1000000 years of evolution feeding you endorphin to tell you you did good.

Sure, I know, bloodthirsty primitive blah blah, but then again, more than half of them saying that play lego or paint figurines so ho hey :)

Soldato
I've started lock picking since getting a lock picking set for my birtdoy. It's actually quite interesting learning how locks work and very satisfying when you get an 'open'. Plus you can just pick up a lock and start doing it, rather than lots of preparation, which many hobbies involve.

Soldato
I've started lock picking since getting a lock picking set for my birtdoy. It's actually quite interesting learning how locks work and very satisfying when you get an 'open'. Plus you can just pick up a lock and start doing it, rather than lots of preparation, which many hobbies involve.

Are you watching Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube ? His stuff came up randomly in my feed and I found it incredibly addictive !

Soldato
Went through the thread and I am most disappointed to see no mentioned of consuming any lemon drinks, weak or otherwise, at all. Either before, after or during your hobbies. I am most disappointed to be sure.

Yours,

S. Quinlank Esq.

Soldato
I shoot. Not just clays, but game too if we get a chance, and we cook the result. People think it's mad/dangerous/nasty whatever, and the thing is a few years back we'd have though pretty much the same, but shooting clays is *heaps* of fun, it's very technical, demanding, it's loud and you get to make stuff explode legally. As for the game, there is NOTHING in the world better than coming back home with the dinner you hunted down with your dog. It's 1000000 years of evolution feeding you endorphin to tell you you did good.

Sure, I know, bloodthirsty primitive blah blah, but then again, more than half of them saying that play lego or paint figurines so ho hey :)

I don't think it's necessarily worse than getting your meat from a supermarket. If anything, it makes you realise that things have to be killed to satisfy our desire for meat. As long as you make use of the things you kill, that is.

Soldato

Sure, I know, bloodthirsty primitive blah blah, but then again, more than half of them saying that play lego or paint figurines so ho hey

No one actually said anything negative but you decided to preemptively mock people for their hobbies lol, and I do neither of those things

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting back into Warhammer and collecting some age of sigma armies.

It's a little embarrassing at 39 but I don't really care about. It's the time due to being self-employed and having two kids that I don't have unfortunately.

I just know I'll buy up an army and won't have time to build, paint and play a game with them and they will sit in the boxes.

Associate
No one actually said anything negative but you decided to preemptively mock people for their hobbies lol, and I do neither of those things
Not really, didn't mean to sound like I was mocking, just was pointing out that it's all the in eye of the beholder -- lots of people will find my hobby strange and sometime revolting (without knowing anything about it) and I confess to find painting figurines rather strange myself, but I'm completely willing to say it's me not having an once of patience therefore not being qualified to make a judgement on it :)
So rein in your horses, I actually think it's mildly interesting, from a distance :)

Soldato
Yep,
  • I collect Fighting Fantasy and similar game books from the 1980's (The chosose your own adventure "now turn to 243" ones)
  • Also member of the Hero Quest (Games Workshop and MB collaborated boardgame from the 1980s) group on Facebook which is just full of people with a fanatical dedication to the game even now. I was never really into 40k or painting anything else Games workshop however.
  • Interested in the UFO / UAP phenomenon.
  • I'm into programming synthersizers and dabbling in music production. Ableton live / VST's / Own a Korg Minilogue XD & Wavestate
  • I built my own Mame arcade cabinet in 2013 and love retro arcade and pinball
  • Still into PC gaiming and following the games industry although I never have much time to play much these days. Got a Steamdeck reserved...
All my friends know about this stuff but nobody does at work apart from PC gaming which I talk about with 2 people.

Commissario
I'm thinking of getting back into Warhammer and collecting some age of sigma armies.

It's a little embarrassing at 39 but I don't really care about. It's the time due to being self-employed and having two kids that I don't have unfortunately.

I just know I'll buy up an army and won't have time to build, paint and play a game with them and they will sit in the boxes.
A lot of warhammer players are "older", both because they've grown up with them and because they've got the money (I've noticed a thing where people often drop the hobby in their early 20's then pick it up again in their 30's and 40's).
Remember the LOTR films were something like 20 years ago now and they got a lot of new people into the "hobby" with the LOTR figures.

There is also a strong element of it being relaxing to paint them, I know a lawyer who does it largely for relaxation after work and apparently several of the other lawyers at his firm have very similar similar hobbies as the time you spend assembling/painting them makes you relax and concentrate on something other than work.
Our game organiser/DM spends his working day doing extremely precise scientific stuff and it seems for him the hobby is a way to have fun and enjoy the absolutely random elements :) If it's not random enough, and if someone comes up with a good reason to do something he'll allow it on a roll - cue odd interactions with scenery and heroic leaps by assassins from tall buildings onto flyers (if they can roll enough 6's to do the jump and not end up in the engines intakes etc).

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of warhammer players are "older", both because they've grown up with them and because they've got the money (I've noticed a thing where people often drop the hobby in their early 20's then pick it up again in their 30's and 40's).
Remember the LOTR films were something like 20 years ago now and they got a lot of new people into the "hobby" with the LOTR figures.

There is also a strong element of it being relaxing to paint them, I know a lawyer who does it largely for relaxation after work and apparently several of the other lawyers at his firm have very similar similar hobbies as the time you spend assembling/painting them makes you relax and concentrate on something other than work.
Our game organiser/DM spends his working day doing extremely precise scientific stuff and it seems for him the hobby is a way to have fun and enjoy the absolutely random elements :) If it's not random enough, and if someone comes up with a good reason to do something he'll allow it on a roll - cue odd interactions with scenery and heroic leaps by assassins from tall buildings onto flyers (if they can roll enough 6's to do the jump and not end up in the engines intakes etc).
Yea fair comment. I think I just need to carve out the time. I game a fair bit too so it would be on top of that. Shame they got rid of the old world though, I'd love to have got a decent high elves army together. The AOS stuff seems a bit too much about individuals rather than the general armies of goblins or spearmen

Commissario
Old world is apparently coming back in some form.

Which pleases me as I'd just bought most of a Skaven army when they announced that with the result i've got hundreds of rat folk either assembled and unpainted, or in parts in boxes as there didn't seem much point painting them if I didn't know about availability of the rest of the army.

Airbrushing for base coats can save a massive amount of time for horde armies if they're largely one basic colour (IE orc skin, or skaven fur).

Capodecina
Soldato
I have an acquaintance who's a modder who makes very detailed game mods. He keeps the whole thing from his wife because she's anti-gaming [says it's a waste of time]. No idea how he manages it.

Caporegime
I no longer care about keeping hobbies a secret. Quite happily tell people I play DnD! I dunno if it's stranger things, but most people show interest now!

If someone judges you over your hobbies, thier opinion isn't worth worrying about

If I had a gf who I had to hide hobbies from... She wouldn't be a gf for long.

Capodecina
Soldato
I no longer care about keeping hobbies a secret. Quite happily tell people I play DnD! I dunno if it's stranger things, but most people show interest now!

If someone judges you over your hobbies, thier opinion isn't worth worrying about

If I had a gf who I had to hide hobbies from... She wouldn't be a gf for long.

It may be something to do with the fact that it's way more acceptable these days.

20 years ago a lot of people thought gamers were losers. Now it's geeky-cool.

Back
Top Bottom