Post Your Garden!

V F

V F

Soldato
Finally cut the new lawn-
I killed it off last July then raked and scarified it till got all crap out and kept raking over time along with weed killing - So went from this

YEaqABa.jpg

To this - That is last of three lawns I have carried out the same proccess -

pZatbNN.jpg

If they go crap again I will just spread wild flower seeds on it and cut it once a year.

While old post, my front grass needs badly scarified. It's not to the condition yours was once in but there are a lot of dead parts that's so spongey. Some parts are right to the soil.

Hopefully I can rectify it but yours turned out gorgeous like you got parts of a freshly laid down football pitch.

Associate
Our front garden when we moved in in 2015:

and now 6 years later:

4.JPG

Are they Stag's Horn sumac trees at the back of the picture ? and if so have you pruned them a lot, any issues with them spreading as in throwing new shoots everywhere a distance from the trees ?

Last edited:
Associate
Are they Stag's Horn sumac trees at the back of the picture ? and if so have you pruned them a lot, any issues with them spreading as in throwing new shoots everywhere a distance from the trees ?

I had no idea that what it was :D thank you for that.

Yes the roots send up new "trees" easy enough to chop them off if you dont want them. I actually climbed up it last winter (its strong but flexible) and chopped loads off it, 6 foot lengths in places, it still seems quite happy.

Caporegime
Pr42hwHh.jpg
Moved in yesterday. Love it so far!

Great for the kids too. There's a field off the back and the previous owners left a decent swing set.

Three greenhouses and two sheds too, tucked away past the arch.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fantastic space, what are your plans for it? Does the house need much work?
Plans for the garden are a ground floor kitchen diner extension as wide and deep as we can afford / are allowed. Should make us popular with the neighbours!

Internally it's great structurally and layout wise but needs some cosmetic updating (I think the estate agents say) in pretty much every room.

2,600 sq ft excluding double garage though so plenty of lebensraum.

It was the potential of the place that attracted us and if it was perfect, we wouldn't have been able to afford it. This is pretty much our house-buying strategy in a nutshell though; buy for space, location, and potential and worry about the cosmetic stuff down the line.

Man of Honour
It was the potential of the place that attracted us and if it was perfect, we wouldn't have been able to afford it. This is pretty much our house-buying strategy in a nutshell though; buy for space, location, and potential and worry about the cosmetic stuff down the line.
Yes definitely, assuming you can find properties like this, they don't come up often :)

Soldato
I bought the cottage about 3 years ago and set to work with the garden..

How i found it..

View attachment 9OAeRHl.jpg

Then..

View attachment S54LqNe.jpg

and..

UXgrGoh.jpg

KrivcoW.jpg

Overgrown veg garden..

CaUqxI8.jpg

after some work..

bxBLiYS.jpg

Redundant greenhouse..

XufnzBm.jpg

Then..

WWrYgaz.jpg

And then the chooks happened..

KcDxGJc.jpg

Old wash house transformed..

IwRZ95i.jpg

cz6CHKZ.jpg

Plenty moar to do, but Kitler (the rescue cat, that no one else wanted) has found her forever home, and for me, that'll do :)

APAJ59p.jpg

Soldato
Gardeners - I want to plant some sort of climber on my houses front wall which is East facing. Something that the bees/butterflies would like ideally but I live on a moderately busy residential road so not sure I'll attract any.

I was originally thinking ivy, but think I'd rather flowers. Would roses work? Perhaps something like this:

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/rosa-clarence-house-clarencehouse/classid.2000040317/

Any recommendations for something that's hardy, and easy to look after. It's my first proper foray into flowers!

Soldato
Gardeners - I want to plant some sort of climber on my houses front wall which is East facing. Something that the bees/butterflies would like ideally but I live on a moderately busy residential road so not sure I'll attract any.

I was originally thinking ivy, but think I'd rather flowers. Would roses work? Perhaps something like this:

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/rosa-clarence-house-clarencehouse/classid.2000040317/

Any recommendations for something that's hardy, and easy to look after. It's my first proper foray into flowers!

If you want something that clings the classic thing to cover the side of a house or building is Boston Ivy, think Wimbledon tennis courts its the red leaved plant that covers the buildings. Not really flowering though. Climbing hydrangea petiolaris is slower growing but does have flowers not the showiest things but good for a shady spot. If you really want roses then Mme Alfred Carriere is what I'd recommend its vigorous disease free and very floriferous with masses of apricot flowers from june or july. Will need support though and likewise probably the easiest flowering climber Clematis Montana masses of pink or white flowers mid summer very easy very reliable will cover the side of a house easy no pests or diseases but very vigorous it'll need a haircut every year and a good support system.

Back
Top Bottom