New car delays.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I dropped the Ferrari off at the bodyshop over weekend for some remedial work (oxidisation on rear arches).

Been the Dick Lovett group and the bodyshop, they had arranged a courtesy car for me, a BMW Mini, its actually a nice drive.
The following day I get a call apologising and requesting if they can come collect the mini as it has been sold as the specification meets what a buyer is after, of course I oblige as they will collect and drop off another courtesy car at my home or work.

My point is that new/used cars are so short they are even selling courtesy cars now.

I also visited DL Ferrari on Saturday as was in the area after my trackday on Friday at Silverstone and they had no new cars for sale and only a handful of used cars, most the cars on display were either sold or customers cars on display. They said they are literally sold everything more or less and that now trying to source used cars to sell is becoming a struggle, they even suggested if anyone tries to buy my 458, not to sell it because they are becoming truly very hard to find in the higher specification and rarer colours, which they said they are now seeing more demand than ever for cars in different colours rather than just red.

Winter is coming but as new car production is not ramping up due to lack of parts, I can see used car demand remaining high and once Winter is over there could be a real shortage.

I did notice however that other used car dealerships down south seemed to have pretty full car lots, whereas up north most used car sale places seem to be running out of stock.

Man of Honour
My point is that new/used cars are so short they are even selling courtesy cars now.

They've always sold courtesy cars! I've often had courtesy cars that were also advertised for sale on the dealers website - its how it works. They register them, use them as part of the service loan fleet and then retail them.

OcUK Staff
They've always sold courtesy cars! I've often had courtesy cars that were also advertised for sale on the dealers website - its how it works. They register them, use them as part of the service loan fleet and then retail them.

Fair enough, just bad timing on us taking it then.

Soldato

Berry BMW in Cobham were providing courtesy cars in July (I got one) but now they’re not (I had to use Uber yesterday). That makes me think they’ve sold all of them to keep the money coming in despite not receiving any new ones from the factory.

Caporegime
with current demand and the price they can sell them for and the current lack of use stock, it will be difficult for a dealer to hold on to courtesy cars and not sell them tbh.

Associate
OP
So wife has insisted on 3d cameras, ordered the same car as 6 months ago with another 6 month lead time plus extra for the camera's they said. :(

Spoke to someone who has a relative on the shop floor at Land rover who said Range Rover variant lines have stopped for the whole of September and there has been mentioned about going back to dials (retro model anyone). Personally I would prefer dials :)

Last edited:
Associate
Lack of new cars resulting in prices of used cars increasing. Rise of housing prices…. Only thing that’s not increasing is my salary. Something is really not right.

I might have to settle on a banger and wait for this whole crisis to be over before I buy a really decent car it seems. Meh.

Caporegime
Well just had Merc in touch saying they now have a build slot available for my GLE but it will be built without the following features

upgraded Burmester sound system
Multibeam LED headlights
Wireless charging
Energising Comfort

So around £3k of equipment missing. No offer of a reduction in the price.:mad:

No way am I having a premium £80k car without even multibeam LED lights and upgraded stereo!

Even the AMG cars cant have LED headlights atm!

Guess I need to go with a different manufacturer. Wish had grabbed that BMW x5 45e when it was in stock last week, I see its gone now.

A lot of the high end luxury cars being delivered from now onwards are going to be so poor in spec, its no wonder the price of second hand ones with full specs will hold their value better.

And in 3 years time the second hand value of 2021/22 delivered models is going to be so much lower than slightly earlier ones with all the toys.

Caporegime
Most manufacturers seem to be the same, not sure you are going to get anywhere with another manufacturer (unless can find stock/pipeline order somewhere with a spec you want)

Annoyingly though that is exactly why I ordered my car 6 months ago in order to try and avoid these shortages, with hindsight I would have grabbed something off the shelf.

And double annoyed that my original build date was 12th August with deliver on 15th November and its taken Mercedes until now to tell me its going to be late and missing half the stuff!

Permabanned
Annoyingly though that is exactly why I ordered my car 6 months ago in order to try and avoid these shortages, with hindsight I would have grabbed something off the shelf.

And double annoyed that my original build date was 12th August with deliver on 15th November and its taken Mercedes until now to tell me its going to be late and missing half the stuff!

Yeah the customer relations stuff is pretty bad, VW actually closed their online portal section that showed the build dates and stuff! :cry:

Soldato
Well just had Merc in touch saying they now have a build slot available for my GLE but it will be built without the following features

upgraded Burmester sound system
Multibeam LED headlights
Wireless charging
Energising Comfort

So around £3k of equipment missing. No offer of a reduction in the price.:mad:

No way am I having a premium £80k car without even multibeam LED lights and upgraded stereo!

Even the AMG cars cant have LED headlights atm!

Guess I need to go with a different manufacturer. Wish had grabbed that BMW x5 45e when it was in stock last week, I see its gone now.

A lot of the high end luxury cars being delivered from now onwards are going to be so poor in spec, its no wonder the price of second hand ones with full specs will hold their value better.

And in 3 years time the second hand value of 2021/22 delivered models is going to be so much lower than slightly earlier ones with all the toys.

It's similar with other manufacturers. I have placed an order for an Audi Q4 50 Sportback Vorsprung through work (not with Audi yet) but have now been told that the following have been removed from the spec.
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Advanced Bluetooth. So only one phone connected at a time and not able to assign a different phone for different user profiles
  • No longer comes with 360 cameras and the dealer saying it never did. There are UK press links showing the Q4 with 360 surround cameras, but i is not an official Audi site.
  • No longer comes with parking assist.
  • Only 1 key (which they can at least fix later)
Was there any talk of reducing the lease price, of course not. So I am still at the will I or wont I stage and am considering just cancelling because this is a £65k lease car over 3 years. The probem is that cancelling now means no replacement at the end of my current lease. We also don't get to say "I will go elsewhere" because they know it will be the same everywhere you go.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's similar with other manufacturers. I have placed an order for an Audi Q4 50 Sportback Vorsprung through work (not with Audi yet) but have now been told that the following have been removed from the spec.
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Advanced Bluetooth. So only one phone connected at a time and not able to assign a different phone for different user profiles
  • No longer comes with 360 cameras and the dealer saying it never did despite me showing him links from UK press sites showing it did. His defence was it is not an official Audi site but I distinctly remember reading about them on an Audi spec brief.
  • No longer comes with parking assist
  • Only 1 key (which they can at least fix later)
Was there any talk of reducing the lease price, of course not. So I am still at the will I or wont I stage and am considering just cancelling because this is a £65k lease car over 3 years. The probem is that cancelling now means no replacement at the end of my current lease.

AT least your still getting led headlights and a better stereo!

I could live without the 360 cameras, parking assist and wireless phone charging if there was an appropriate drop in the price.

Man of Honour
AT least your still getting led headlights and a better stereo!

Presumably so are you? All available lighting options on the GLE are LED. The problem is likely the camera for the Multibeam lights, so you'll get the standard LED High Performance instead.

I doubt they are going to fit halogens.

Back
Top Bottom