Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I wonder why i'm a moron sometimes. I've just been googling articles and rumours for the new Garmin 7.

I have zero need to change since my 6X Pro is superb at everything and one of the main rumours is an improved optical sensor which is zero benefit since i use a strap.

I blame boredom.

Soldato
Seems to be adding cellular data as they have in the new 945 which would be quite handy. I often take my phone if i'm going out onto trails in case i need to phone someone but that'd be handy not to do.

Also some reduction in size is possible and solar implemented across the range.

https://gadgetsandwearables.com/2021/09/06/garmin-fenix-7/

Absolutely nothing that makes me need to upgrade really, especially at the cost vs what i'd get for my 6X pro. I guess it's the same as the people who upgrade to the latest iphone each year. There's rarely any point but sometimes shiny is good.

What i'm always curious about is battery length. I accept i have everything turned on, but when it's fully charged it advises 10 days battery life. The 6X is meant to be close to 3 weeks. I'm wondering whether i have any stuff turned on that i don't need. All i can think of is the HR readings but that's not something i'd want to lose.

Associate
The 945 LTE is not available in the UK yet as Garmin have not made a deal with any cellular provider yet. Even if it was available you have to pay $5.99 a month for the LTE connectivity and it doesn't even support phone calls/texts or music streaming. It's purely for LiveTrack and Emergency assistance.

Solar charging seems to be more of a gimmick on the Fenix line, unless it can now go behind the screen rather than around the thin border. It makes much more sense on the Instinct line currently. It would be nice if the Fenix was a bit thinner but not at the detriment of battery life. I'm very happy with my Fenix 6s and can't see me upgrading for a long time, especially with the regular updates with new features it seems to get quite regularly.

Soldato
Really got quite heavily back into running recently. I used to be big on it, but then my knees started packing in so I eased up. A whole year of lockdown with little exercise to do except for core workouts and yoga seems to have changed that. Can't believe what a difference a strong core makes to running and resilience, although in hindsight it's pretty obvious. Not as quick as I once was over 10k but enjoying longer runs

Soldato
Really got quite heavily back into running recently. I used to be big on it, but then my knees started packing in so I eased up. A whole year of lockdown with little exercise to do except for core workouts and yoga seems to have changed that. Can't believe what a difference a strong core makes to running and resilience, although in hindsight it's pretty obvious. Not as quick as I once was over 10k but enjoying longer runs

What's your 5k time, I'm down to 25mins but it feels like a jog, my goal of 20mins by the end of the year is going well. I need more speed and strengthening work though.

Soldato
What's your 5k time, I'm down to 25mins but it feels like a jog, my goal of 20mins by the end of the year is going well. I need more speed and strengthening work though.
I'm at about 23 - I was doing 20 when I was younger, but it's a bit quick for me now. Happier on longer slower runs!

Soldato
Interesting, might have to take a look at that.

how’s your ankle going?

It's a good bit of fun, i joined it last year, i might've even created an OCUK club on it actually. Not sure if it's still there.

Ankle is doing well, i can walk on it properly now without stressing too much of the rest of my leg/other leg. Swelling is much reduced too. Main issue are stairs where it flexes a lot more with weight on it. I'm aiming for around half a mile walk after work, just to get that movement back properly without overdoing things. Still icing it regularly.

Main problem is because it feels ok a lot of the time, i'm forgetting about it, the other day i went up in the loft and those ladders caused a few issues and the other day i went to crouch under some worktops and must've shifted my weight onto that ankle whilst crouched to manoeuvre and that was very painful, just not strong enough for that kind of thing.

Soldato
Anyone has experience with those infamous Walsh trail running trainers?

Looking for some proper trail trainers to start training for those Lake District runs next year.

Soldato
Well they seem to be the original classics for fell running in Lake District, but then again classics doesn't meant they're necessarily great.

I do like that they have wide fit versions for my ape foot and you can even resole them, plus not too expensive at just £60 odd with a discount I can get with SportShoes.

Soldato
https://www.theendurancestore.com/products/walsh-pb-trainer-fell-shoe?_pos=1&_sid=e9858d728&_ss=r

£50 there :)

My only hesitation would be they look like they're definitely made for proper fell running in deep mud/bog etc. Anything slightly off road, like light trails i'd suspect would be pretty uncomfortable in them. Whilst there are some times i've been out and wanted something with bigger lugs, i'd be tempted by something more trail based.

Brilliant timing here. I've passed my 3 month probation at work which entitles me to physio :D

Soldato
Even better, I was just browsing for another pair of more aggressive trail runners as already have a pair of Adidas Terrex something. It turns into a complete mud fest where I'm planning on training over winter if it's going to be even mildly wet season.

Also figured Adidas will definitely need replacing by May when my first run is going to be on, so I'll have another broken in pair by then. I know Salomon is popular but their models are too narrow for me and there's rarely sales on wider fit models.

Associate
Anyone has experience with those infamous Walsh trail running trainers?

Looking for some proper trail trainers to start training for those Lake District runs next year.
Never heard of Walsh but they look quite out dated to me, almost retro. Inov-8 have some decent trail/fell shoes and I believe many of them are designed for and tested in the lake district. Other brands also worth a look would be Hoka, Salomon and Altra.

Soldato
https://www.theendurancestore.com/products/walsh-pb-trainer-fell-shoe?_pos=1&_sid=e9858d728&_ss=r

£50 there :)

My only hesitation would be they look like they're definitely made for proper fell running in deep mud/bog etc. Anything slightly off road, like light trails i'd suspect would be pretty uncomfortable in them. Whilst there are some times i've been out and wanted something with bigger lugs, i'd be tempted by something more trail based.

Brilliant timing here. I've passed my 3 month probation at work which entitles me to physio :D

They look like they’re designed/developed in the 80s.

To add to the above, I’d also consider trying on La Sportiva depending on your local outdoor shop you should be able to run over some fake boulders/bridges etc to get a feel for them in the shop.

Soldato
1970 actually if website to be believed, but that was basically my thinking is that they are just a classic that has been surprassed by now surely.

I've actually ordered some Salomon Speedcross 4 trainers from Rainforest, sized up to compensate for width and returns are free as not expecting them to fit properly but may as well find out.

Back
Top Bottom